Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Prostate Cancer

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Lost my brother in law to (62) to bowel cancer last month, it was horrible. He had never taken the opportunity to be screened, and when he did start to get issues it took too long to get a proper diagnosis (won’t go in to all that here)….…..by the time it was discovered it has already spread to his liver. All happened incredibly quickly from there sadly. If you’re of a certain age (I’m 56 and recently had a kit sent through the post) ALWAYS get yourself screened (prostate and bowel) if the opportunity arises - and if it doesn’t, ask your doc anyway.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This has been a great thread to read.
I recently had a blood test, which resulted in a high reading on PSA levels, together with blood found in a stool sample.
Now waiting for MRI and CT scan dates.
A whole load of emotions going through my head.
Just trying stay positive :)

Good luck, mate. I had a high PSA and has biopsies a couple of years ago. Email me if you need a chat. Anytime. :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Change doctors. Ive never had to wait more than one day for any GP appointment.

My, how things have changed in 4 years! I was the same in 2018. Now it is 2 weeks minimum (and that's for a phone consult or nurse practitioner).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Lost my brother in law to (62) to bowel cancer last month, it was horrible. He had never taken the opportunity to be screened, and when he did start to get issues it took too long to get a proper diagnosis (won’t go in to all that here)….…..by the time it was discovered it has already spread to his liver. All happened incredibly quickly from there sadly. If you’re of a certain age (I’m 56 and recently had a kit sent through the post) ALWAYS get yourself screened (prostate and bowel) if the opportunity arises - and if it doesn’t, ask your doc anyway.

So sorry to hear that.

If in doubt everyone, get checked out early, the bowel tumour in me they reckon had been growing for 10 years since my early 40’s. The only sign, a kind of changed habit. So very easy to misinterpret for the usual Dr.Google explanations of IBS, lactose intolerance.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I recently had a blood test, which resulted in a high reading on PSA levels, together with blood found in a stool sample.
I went through that last year and had an operation to remove part of the bowel, I still get really bad stomach pain and now they have found I have a lymph node issue so will have to go through all the scans again. I know what you are feeling I got put on the pathway which is scary thing all we can do is see what hand we have been dealt. All the best mate.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So sorry to hear that.

If in doubt everyone, get checked out early, the bowel tumour in me they reckon had been growing for 10 years since my early 40’s. The only sign, a kind of changed habit. So very easy to misinterpret for the usual Dr.Google explanations of IBS, lactose intolerance.

Well said mate. I can attest that regular poo testing is an easy and important thing to do.

As an aside. lactose intolerance is hugely undiagnosed. I almost retired 4 years ago. I couldn't travel to work if the train had no working loo (we started to get this a lot down here, thanks to Major flogging the railway to a company that doesn't give (or take) a shit). I was put on the emergency cancer path but the camera revealed nothing - not even my fabled diverticulosis. I self diagnosed lactose intolerance by experiment, and have fixed that woe myself. The diverticulosis was a 'clinical diagnosis' (meaning my GP guessed and got it wrong).

If things change, get them checked out. Moles, coughs, frequency and ease of use of the donut in granny's greenhouse. We only have one life.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just replied, but yr inbox is full :lolol:

I got your reply and replied. But my inbox may well be full again. I'll delete some stuff.

Do you think if I ask nicely Bozza may give me a bigger inbox? :lolol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Well said mate. I can attest that regular poo testing is an easy and important thing to do.

As an aside. lactose intolerance is hugely undiagnosed. I almost retired 4 years ago. I couldn't travel to work if the train had no working loo (we started to get this a lot down here, thanks to Major flogging the railway to a company that doesn't give (or take) a shit). I was put on the emergency cancer path but the camera revealed nothing - not even my fabled diverticulosis. I self diagnosed lactose intolerance by experiment, and have fixed that woe myself. The diverticulosis was a 'clinical diagnosis' (meaning my GP guessed and got it wrong).

If things change, get them checked out. Moles, coughs, frequency and ease of use of the donut in granny's greenhouse. We only have one life.

Hi,

I did remember your very helpful info on that, from the time. Adult homo sapiens weren’t designed to drink copious amounts of cows milk, it’s no surprise that many westerners have that intolerence.

I went to lactose free milk, on your advice, after my op. It’s definitely made a significant difference. No need to go into detail here :eek:

Thank you :bowdown:

Have you cleared your pm inbox of right-wing attacks yet :lolol:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
3 years ago after a high PSA had biops and scan. small cancer found. Recommended monitoring and they ring me once a year after checking to see if PSA has increased. No changes and I am relaxed about it as excellent service and feel experts are keeping an eye on it

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I went through that last year and had an operation to remove part of the bowel, I still get really bad stomach pain and now they have found I have a lymph node issue so will have to go through all the scans again. I know what you are feeling I got put on the pathway which is scary thing all we can do is see what hand we have been dealt. All the best mate.

It’s an ‘eye opener’ isn’t it, one’s own mortality? I was used to being the fit and healthy person in the house supporting my family through all sorts, their rock.

Certainly a reminder to make the most out of life, the best you can.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hi,

I did remember your very helpful info on that, from the time. Adult homo sapiens weren’t designed to drink copious amounts of cows milk, it’s no surprise that many westerners have that intolerence.

I went to lactose free milk, on your advice, after my op. It’s definitely made a significant difference. No need to go into detail here :eek:

Thank you :bowdown:

Have you cleared your pm inbox of right-wing attacks yet :lolol:

Glad to be of service. Another poster got his dad to cut out the lactose and told me it helped him too :rock:

Yes I just emptied my whole inbox (and saved the correspondence as a csv file, for the pending court cases).

Apart from a couple of pissy messages, 99.9% of it was chatting with pals, and/or plotting and scheming or gossiping with numerous fine correspondents about this that and occasionally the other ??? :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

You're a stoic old bugger. Deepest admiration, and all best wishes :thumbsup:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Glad to be of service. Another poster got his dad to cut out the lactose and told me it helped him too :rock:

Yes I just emptied my whole inbox (and saved the correspondence as a csv file, for the pending court cases).

Apart from a couple of pissy messages, 99.9% of it was chatting with pals, and/or plotting and scheming or gossiping with numerous fine correspondents about this that and occasionally the other ??? :lolol:

I quite like ‘emptying the inbox’ as a euphemism given the contents of this thread

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

We are all staying positive for you so join us

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I quite like ‘emptying the inbox’ as a euphemism given the contents of this thread

It's when pebble-dashing the bathroom wall ceases to be a euphemism that the very idea of a euphemism ceases to be an issue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here