Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Promotion v Survival

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
For me it isn't just about the moment. Lad to my right is very old school and when people (in the North) sang 'we are staying up' when we scored he just gave me a look with a scown, and I shook my head with a grimace. We all remember when they scored 2 in extra time agains munich in the european cup final. But on 92 minutes I looked at him and we both lost it. "We are staying up!". But it isn't about the moment....

Today, on a sunny morning, I reflect on a season when we went under the radar. Never in the bottom three. Only two big defeats (so far). No real weaknesses. We matched or stuffed Arsenal and ManU without every looking 'plucky'. We had no need for tin pot 'come on' guestures to the crowd every few minutes from 'talisman' players. We had a team. We were always calm.

When we were promoted it was joy, of course. But there was a bit of fear there. Remember how fraught it was last summer over the 'without a new striker we are fnished' meme? Now it feels different.

Of course we may struggle next season. Of course. But we have now been through a season in the top tier, and we are nicely safe with 2-3 games left. Never in the bottom three. Average attendance of over 30,000. Supporters who mostly seem to get it. Great owner and team. A manager who is a perfect fit for the present. So I am much happier now than I was after promotion. We have not been and never were 'plucky'. We were good. We are good. I am content - and I'd rather have lots of contentment than a few minutes or hours of going ****ing mental. But, then again, I am old. :lolol:

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Promotion felt more like disbelief, like WE HAVE MADE IT and also relief. Survival feels like a cup win though! After all the terrible years we sustained and the tribulations, to be promoted was emotional and certainly like something to be savoured.

Not quite sure anything can beat the overall feeling of promotion which lasted until a good few games into the season, now we are here we need to kick on though, but what a great feeling to know we are here to stay and good enough to be here.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Last night felt like the promotion was in some way rubber stamped. It feels like we've truly have achieved our goal now.

Both are amazing feelings.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here