Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Professional Footballers from Sussex

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm at the Southampton Academy fairly regularly for U-11/12/13/14 games. They win most of them, and their entire academy is filled with blonde middle-class kids called Tom, Harry or Will, from Winchester or the New Forest.

Good point. I don't suppose James Ward-Prowse hails from the ghetto.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think you might find he does, actually*

*he's a #****

:ohmy:

That's TERRIBLE.

Although at the same time heartening evidence of Pompey's complete failure as a youth development beacon for the local area.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Gareth Southgate isn't a Sussex native.

You've neglected to consider Bobby Tambling, born in Storrington.

Paul Ifill is still playing, albeit in New Zealand.
George Brann Sussex CC and Corinthians played 3times for England Football team between 1896 and 1891 was born in Eastbourne.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
It's just not a football area. Never has been.

Poor poor cliche there Edna .........

Of course it is a numbers game to a point and you may wish to add demagraphics if you wish.

But opportunity remains key.

I grew up at a time that Scotland and Cork were hotbeds of footballing talent, but it never was, it was a hotbed of opportunity for those youngsters.

The English game throughout history has been coached and managed by the Scots and Irish and they then offered opportunity to their native areas young players.

These areas have since been deemed devoid of talent, probably the same young players as as it always has been.

Sussex youngsters too, have been victim of careless prejudice, wholly disproved when Wilkins took our under resourced youth team to the quarter finals of the FA youth cup some years ago.

Something I guess will not ever happen again, no matter how shiny our new training facility will be, it takes opportunity and hard hard work to develop young players, your postcode isn't too relevant.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
mmm Hull are in the Prem. I think you might be surprised by how few pro footballers come from Hull.

Sussex produces a number of solid players: Dunk, Barry, Hammond, Cook, Elphick, ElAbd, Legge, Lynch etc. I guess Dean Cox is the flair player,

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It's just not a football area. Never has been.

True. Which rather invalidates all those going on about the potential for the club being huge because of a large catchment area for BHAFC.

not sure what is meant by this. It's not as if football isn't the most popular sport in the county.

I would say that sussex football has simply lacked the infrastructure to produce quality players. Up until recently we were the only professional club in the county and certainly have hadn't had the resources to invest heavily in youth development.

I predict that with the new academy, coupled with the fact that sussex now has two decent professional clubs, we will begin to see more and more sussex born players in the top leagues.

having first hand experience of crawley academy i wouldn't hold your breath:facepalm: AND BRIGHTONS ACADEMY WILL ATTRACT MORE PLAYERS FROM FURTHER AFIELD :moo:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here