Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Private house sale snubbing Estate Agent

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
IF the estate agents are as bad as you say they are AND both buyer and seller have been let down AND singing from the same hymn sheet then it SHOULD be fairly easy to prove breach of contract.

Thanks everyone.

I think it will be a battle. My friends (the sellers) found the Estate Agent to be bad.
The buyers made an initial offer through the Agent and were prepared to go up, but the Agent didn't do his job by following up. Hence the personal approach.

This looks like the best case for a defence.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
But what proof have you got and with respect we have only heard one side of the story , I am sure they will have a different story to tell. As Stumpy says there are some very good estate agents and to say they are all shit is lazy and predictable.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
But what proof have you got and with respect we have only heard one side of the story , I am sure they will have a different story to tell. As Stumpy says there are some very good estate agents and to say they are all shit is lazy and predictable.

Well I am just trying to help a friend. I have told them to record all the evidence of breach of contract whilst it is still fresh in their minds. Early days they did complain to the Association that governs Estate Agents but decided for a quiet life to let the contact run.

I have also recommended that they talk to the buyers and get them to agree to sharing any possible subsequent bill from the Agents.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Their first mistake was agreeing to a 3 month contract.

There's no reason to have any sort of tie-in at all. We just sold two properties and just had a 14 day notice period with each Agent.

If the Agent introduced the buyer, though, whatever the circumstances, you will find it hard to argue that they did nothing! Sometimes, it just seems that way, but we did sack our first agent in Haywards Heath because he was a cock.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
The agent introduced the applicant, they should pay the fee. If not you are cutting out the middle man. You would not like to be cut out of a deal, so why should the agent?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here