Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Priest's baptisms declared invalid due to his changing one word

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a...-he-changed-one-word/ar-AATSLw5?ocid=msedgntp

All baptisms performed by Phoenix priest invalid because he changed one word

A priest resigned earlier this month after his diocese discovered the baptisms he had performed were invalid because he had changed a single word while performing the sacrament.

"It is with sincere pastoral concern that I inform the faithful that baptisms performed by Reverend Andres Arango, a priest of the Diocese of Phoenix, are invalid," Bishop of the Diocese of Phoenix Thomas J. Olmsted announced in a letter last month.

"This determination was made after careful study by diocesan officials and through consultation with the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith in Rome," he wrote.

Arango, who has been practicing as a priest for more than two decades, used the phrase “We baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit," instead of "I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit."

"The issue with using 'We' is that it is not the community that baptizes a person, rather, it is Christ, and Him alone, who presides at all of the sacraments, and so it is Christ Jesus who baptizes," Olmsted said.

Couldn't they have said the word "we" means Christ and those involved in the gathering, priest, pope, archbishop, bishop, alter boys, etc.

Would have thought they could have defined “we” as the Holy Trinity? Or maybe the priest was non binary....

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Would have thought they could have defined “we” as the Holy Trinity? Or maybe the priest was non binary....

Does that mean the priest doesn't bind up his young alter boys?

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Beat me to it. The bishop is obviously a complete ignoramus as far as grammar is concerned. If it is Christ doing the baptism (which, I grant you, takes a pretty big leap of faith in itself!) then the correct word is 'he' - but why would Christ baptise someone in the name of, inter alia, himself ('the son')? Makes no sense.
I think it's because the Catholic church believes that the priest is Jesus's direct representative on earth and when the priest says those words he is saying them directly on behalf of Jesus. A mouthpiece, if you like. Presumably the logical extension is that Jesus would not and cannot use the royal "we".

Here's something for the bishop to consider. Jesus said (and whatever your belief about his divinity or otherwise, there is no reason to suspect he didn't say this) "Suffer the little children to come unto me; do not hinder them." He made no caveats about "but don't let them in if they use the wrong pronoun". Baptism IMO, like all sacraments, is between the person concerned and God, and no other human has the right to deny that relationship.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think it's because the Catholic church believes that the priest is Jesus's direct representative on earth and when the priest says those words he is saying them directly on behalf of Jesus. A mouthpiece, if you like. Presumably the logical extension is that Jesus would not and cannot use the royal "we".

Here's something for the bishop to consider. Jesus said (and whatever your belief about his divinity or otherwise, there is no reason to suspect he didn't say this) "Suffer the little children to come unto me; do not hinder them." He made no caveats about "but don't let them in if they use the wrong pronoun". Baptism IMO, like all sacraments, is between the person concerned and God, and no other human has the right to deny that relationship.
Exactly. And he wouldn't have said it in English anyway.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Always amazes me on here how many people are experts on something they think is a load of rubbish.

Quite easy to be an expert on something imaginary.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Always amazes me on here how many people are experts on something they think is a load of rubbish.

Maybe they're like me, educated, (indoctrinated), at religious schools. Learnt the Catechism by the age of 8, morning prayers and chapel services together with the mandatory RE lessons - the more I learnt the more I realised what rubbish it all is.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a...-he-changed-one-word/ar-AATSLw5?ocid=msedgntp

All baptisms performed by Phoenix priest invalid because he changed one word

A priest resigned earlier this month after his diocese discovered the baptisms he had performed were invalid because he had changed a single word while performing the sacrament.

"It is with sincere pastoral concern that I inform the faithful that baptisms performed by Reverend Andres Arango, a priest of the Diocese of Phoenix, are invalid," Bishop of the Diocese of Phoenix Thomas J. Olmsted announced in a letter last month.

"This determination was made after careful study by diocesan officials and through consultation with the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith in Rome," he wrote.

Arango, who has been practicing as a priest for more than two decades, used the phrase “We baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit," instead of "I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit."

"The issue with using 'We' is that it is not the community that baptizes a person, rather, it is Christ, and Him alone, who presides at all of the sacraments, and so it is Christ Jesus who baptizes," Olmsted said.

Couldn't they have said the word "we" means Christ and those involved in the gathering, priest, pope, archbishop, bishop, alter boys, etc.

They could have done, or they could have said it's all a load of bollocks any way. What did John the Baptist say when he dunked Jesus, I, we or you?

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Maybe they're like me, educated, (indoctrinated), at religious schools. Learnt the Catechism by the age of 8, morning prayers and chapel services together with the mandatory RE lessons - the more I learnt the more I realised what rubbish it all is.

I can understand that. Not a fan myself

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
What did John the Baptist say when he dunked Jesus, I, we or you?

That’s a tricky one, considering John allegedly didn’t want to baptise Jesus, and pestered John, until he agreed, he probably just said something like.
“Right let’s get this over with, don’t you dare take my followers, and claim to be the “holy one”, now piss off you hunched backed midget”

Possibly

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Is it? I would have thought logically it's the complete opposite.

Nah, just make shit up and go with it. Religion has been doing it for some time now.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
So if these people aren't baptised can they eat shellfish?

:shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here