Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Price gouging in a high inflation environment

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Feels like some are just taking advantage as there is an expectation of rising prices.

Car parking is a classic example. Heathrow mid stay was charged £67 for 36 hours. Birmingham NEC was £10 a couple of years back now £16.95

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Also the fact as proven by news articles the removal of cheaper items. This has been happening in shops where value items are nil stock and only branded expensive items remain. The big supermarkets state it's because there's been an uplift in buying their own brands but again proven wrong.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Feels like some are just taking advantage as there is an expectation of rising prices.

Car parking is a classic example. Heathrow mid stay was charged £67 for 36 hours. Birmingham NEC was £10 a couple of years back now £16.95

What’s Heathrow now..or what was it?

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Also the fact as proven by news articles the removal of cheaper items. This has been happening in shops where value items are nil stock and only branded expensive items remain. The big supermarkets state it's because there's been an uplift in buying their own brands but again proven wrong.

Our local Tesco's have all taken the Tesco-brand (and far cheaper) cold-and-flu tablets off the shelf. Label is gone, so it's not because they're selling out - they're just not being stocked.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

What car park ? I just paid £68 at T2 long stay for Sunday - Wednesday. Has gone up a bit and was booked fairly short notice (within 2 weeks) but not outrageous

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020

Gatwick similar. Parking for my two week Greek summer holiday was always about £100, but now almost £180. Thought I'd found one at £145 but it had a booking fee of 30. FFS!!!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Gatwick similar. Parking for my two week Greek summer holiday was always about £100, but now almost £180. Thought I'd found one at £145 but it had a booking fee of 30. FFS!!!

Why not just get a train or a taxi?

Hardly essential items are they car parks at airports. they've always been crooked rip offs.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
What car park ? I just paid £68 at T2 long stay for Sunday - Wednesday. Has gone up a bit and was booked fairly short notice (within 2 weeks) but not outrageous

That was LHR T5 Long Stay. Just checked it again, £68 for 36 hours...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Why not just get a train or a taxi?

Hardly essential items are they car parks at airports. they've always been crooked rip offs.

Taxi's to Gatwick hiked up too, plus £5 drop off. Salfords to Gatwick used to be £10, last charge was £24. Complete piss take

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
That was LHR T5 Long Stay. Just checked it again, £68 for 36 hours...

Tried short stay ? Or other car parks ? T2-t5 isn’t to bad , maybe 30 minutes if you don’t mind the faff.

I suspect 36 hour is in ‘business traveller’ territory so perhaps less discount

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
seem to recall parking at Gatwick was pretty reasonable if you book in advance, frightening expensive if on the day.

not exactly high inflation issue either way, its about high, captive demand.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

No gouging as no one is making you pay it, just use the train.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Our local Tesco's have all taken the Tesco-brand (and far cheaper) cold-and-flu tablets off the shelf. Label is gone, so it's not because they're selling out - they're just not being stocked.

Different take for you here. How about raw material prices have gone through the roof due to supply issues the world over. Big brands sell more so buy more so maybe get a better price, or at least they can better absorb the higher prices into their own end price.

Tesco should make more money out of their own label, so why would they choose to drop it in favour of the branded product?

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Different take for you here. How about raw material prices have gone through the roof due to supply issues the world over. Big brands sell more so buy more so maybe get a better price, or at least they can better absorb the higher prices into their own end price.

Tesco should make more money out of their own label, so why would they choose to drop it in favour of the branded product?

On this particular product, there was *more than enough* price differential for Tesco to increase the price of their own-brand product to cover any increases in supply costs. The only reasonable reason I can think of is that they're actually unable to source the product currently (because brand labels will have first dibs).

Either way, it disappeared without explanation - which doesn't do them any favours given it happened only shortly after the big hoo-haa over cheaper own-brand products being withdrawn (and thus causing hidden inflation for those reliant on those products) started.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

not how it always works. the own brand may be a larger margin but in revenue terms the branded may give more. i.e. say tin of beans gives them 20% margin on 40p own brand, or 10% on £1.20 for top brand. in the large stores the margin is better, the smaller local focus on higher revenue products.
also a lot of value end havent been removed but replaced by an alternative own brand to compete with Lidl and Aldi. example Stockwell&Co in Tescos.

(had to look that up, who in hell pays £1.20 for Heinz beans? we reallyare our own worst enemy)

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing

I got two weeks meet and greet in the long stay NCP car park next to the main terminal building for September £118 I could have parked off site using the summertime special which involves a shuttle bus for £110

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here