Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Prevent Donald Trump from making a state visit to the United Kingdom - petition

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
That is what America is trying to do? Why should there be outrage?

I'm happy to be proven wrong but most the countries on Trumps list haven't broken international law.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Because all these anti-trump voices were silent when Obama and his administration were doing bad things.

Trump happened because of Obama and his actions. It's hard to side with anyone who is crying over Trump now when they venerate a man like Obama just because he made good sound bites and social media clips.

The greatest problem is their hold over allowing other parties outside of the two major parties to have any say or influence on anything.

Even to get a place at a Presidential debate a third party needs to get 15% voting in polls. That makes it almost impossible to allow other voices to be heard on a large stage.

In democracies like the UK and Australia we at least allow for countless different parties and views to be put to the people at election times to judge them by the public.

Until that changes, nothing will change.

When was the last time the US had a decent President? Reagan? It's been a hell of a long time unfortunately.

Define decent.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
You need to be a special type of sad brain to sign an online petition, I bet Trump is extremely worried by the power of THE INTERNET!!!!!1111!!

I mean, these petitions quite clearly state that Parliament will discuss the issue if it hits a certain figure so as a way of having a viewpoint heard and debated it is quite powerful.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
You need to be a special type of sad brain to sign an online petition, I bet Trump is extremely worried by the power of THE INTERNET!!!!!1111!!

Yes, I suspect he is worried by the power of the internet. After all, he knows more than anyone how powerful it can be.
He's a thin skinned egomaniac. The online petition will upset him because he really really wants to meet the Queen and have all that pomp and cerempony to make him feel important. He's a pathetic man.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Define decent.

Anyone who can negotiate the end of the USSR without significant bloodshed is decent.

There's a reason why he won every single state except Minnesota in 84 and left with the highest approval rating ever in US political history. Could you even imagine these days any US party or person doing that?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
No.

Horrible man, really quite odious. But, might turn out to be an OK President. Possibly.

Whatever, should not be banned from a State Visit. Better not grope Her Maj. though................

Tend to agree with you. As President he might actually get some worthwhile stuff done. Typical lefty Brightonians with nothing else to do but sign petitions. Get a life.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Not really a lover of populist petitions, and I really can't see the point of trying to ban this visit by Trump. State or not.
Let him come over, meet the Queen for afternoon tea and a banquet, address Parliament, discuss with politicians the myriad of topics that our two nations need to discuss, see the protesters( peaceful, I hope!) etc.etc.
Banning him is a little bit like the bans that are occuring in our unis. Don't allow anyone to come and speak unless we agree with what they are going to say.
Let us grow up and get on with it.In general, how do you constructively influence events by banning, visits, meetings and discussions.

Absolutely correct. I don't like what that man might say so therefore I'm not going to let anyone listen to him. Grow up!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

This guy gets rattled by a single Tweet.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Can't stand the bloke from what I've seen so far, but they're never going to block him from coming to the UK, no matter how many sign the petition. Mrs May & friends have too much to lose to cause a diplomatic issue over it.

He'll come, and I bet there will be street protests on a scale not seen since Blair was in charge. Awful man, but I can't be the only one harbouring a certain fascination with how this is all going to pan out over the next four years. Unsettling times.

It's not about blocking him from coming to the UK.

What folk are campaigning against is him being afforded a STATE visit with all the red carpets and gushing, nauseous trimmings.

If he wants a government to government visit then fine. We have to have a relationship with the U.S

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You're asking why we want to trade with the US, and why we want to work with them on security?

Tariffs between the US and the UK are already low, so it is the dropping of a different kind of barrier that Trump would be after. That could be a softening of the food standards that have kept out hormone-injected US beef. Or granting access to the NHS to overcharging US drug companies. Or a relaxation in environmental or labour rules that, set with our onetime EU partners, proved too onerous for US firms until now.
Right. so exactly the sort of things that our country will want to negotiate then.

When Trump demands all that, May – needing a deal, any deal, to prove that Brexit is not a disaster – will struggle to say no. And what would be gained?
And your plan is to stop talking to them in the hope we can just keep what we have. Brilliant.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Because all these anti-trump voices were silent when Obama and his administration were doing bad things.

Trump happened because of Obama and his actions. It's hard to side with anyone who is crying over Trump now when they venerate a man like Obama just because he made good sound bites and social media clips.

Do try and stop presenting your frankly quite weird obsession with Obama as the way things are.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

What folk are campaigning against is him being afforded a STATE visit with all the red carpets and gushing, nauseous trimmings.

If he wants a government to government visit then fine. We have to have a relationship with the U.S

This bears repeating. It is not a petition to ban him from this country.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Well what a surprise NOT:lolol:
On a more serious note these lefties are just laughable....the biggest bunch of pampered cry baby's you'll ever meet.

Lowest in Boston and Skegness say no more

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Absolutely correct. I don't like what that man might say so therefore I'm not going to let anyone listen to him. Grow up!

Think you might be missing the point of that particular petition.
Not asking to ban him, but saying don't make it a state visit. It's playing to his weakness rather amusingly. And nobody is forced to sign, obviously!

And to those saying 'lazy' - I will be protesting in person later today, but also signed the petition. And will do a lot of other stuff. It's never a case of expecting one action to have a major impact, but about making a collective voice heard in many different ways.

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
People need to get a life! Like him or loathe him he's the president of the United States and it's important in the current uncertainty that we encourage stronger links, trade and otherwise with our allies. If the Queen want to invite him to dinner then that can only be a good thing! Next there will be a petition to remain in Europe, or to oust Jeremey Corbyn or to buy a striker!!

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I really can't see the point of trying to ban this visit by Trump.

Banning him is a little bit like the bans that are occuring in our unis. Don't allow anyone to come and speak unless we agree with what they are going to say.
Let us grow up and get on with it.In general, how do you constructively influence events by banning, visits, meetings and discussions.

Trump bans people from visiting America and you want to respond by banning him from coming here. Grow up and use diplomacy.

Have none of the above actually read what the petition is for, or even read the thread they're contributing to?

There is NO suggestion of banning Trump from coming here, nor of 'not allowing him to speak'.

Yes, that.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
We are going to get completely ****ed by the EU and May knows it. That's why she's going cap in hand to Turkey/the USA et al. We're desperate to get as much as possible put in place for when the inevitable hard Brexit lands.

We're going to be economically ****ed, and May thinks a deal with a Trump-led USA could ease the pain. We sell weapons to the Saudi's and all number of scumbags, wining and dining Trump for a decent trade deal is nothing compared to that.

Isn't it wonderful to have our country back? Now we can grovel to any shysters we choose!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here