Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Preston North End Vs Man Utd

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Anyway who is maintaining that the Rooney dive was a penalty, because he was merely taking "evasive action" and the "intent" from the keeper was sufficient, can you please openly admit that football is no longer a CONTACT SPORT, and stop with this nonsense of the Premier League being a "physical league". Truth is we see players throw themselves clear of attempted challenges and the result IS a foul, a foul that plenty try to justify even when we clearly see no contact whatsoever.

This is what our beautiful game has become ..... and I for one have lost interest in watching this nonsense.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Anyway who is maintaining that the Rooney dive was a penalty, because he was merely taking "evasive action" and the "intent" from the keeper was sufficient, can you please openly admit that football is no longer a CONTACT SPORT, and stop with this nonsense of the Premier League being a "physical league". Truth is we see players throw themselves clear of attempted challenges and the result IS a foul, a foul that plenty try to justify even when we clearly see no contact whatsoever.

This is what our beautiful game has become ..... and I for one have lost interest in watching this nonsense.

There is an argument regarding both "intent" and "recklessness" - i.e. Kompany was correctly sent off for a ridiculously dangerous lunge at Nani the other season, despite not actually making contact with Nani. However, to suggest it isn't a contact sport anymore is obviously nonsense, as you will see dozens of fair tackles in every single game, that aren't given as fouls.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
There is an argument regarding both "intent" and "recklessness" - i.e. Kompany was correctly sent off for a ridiculously dangerous lunge at Nani the other season, despite not actually making contact with Nani. However, to suggest it isn't a contact sport anymore is obviously nonsense, as you will see dozens of fair tackles in every single game, that aren't given as fouls.

How many times do you see a penalty being debated and the very slightest "contact" is being deemed as a foul? They look for it in super slow-mo for the merest hint of someone being brushed. The moment they see it "there you go contact, so it was clearly a penalty." Contact is being deemed a foul in more and more circumstances, and last night even the "intent" to make contact was enough.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
How many times do you see a penalty being debated and the very slightest "contact" is being deemed as a foul? They look for it in super slow-mo for the merest hint of someone being brushed. The moment they see it "there you go contact, so it was clearly a penalty." Contact is being deemed a foul in more and more circumstances, and last night even the "intent" to make contact was enough.

Yeah, I don't agree at all with Contact = Foul, that's nonsense.

Reckless intent can be a foul without any physical contact, that's in the rules.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think Dowd was 100% correct with giving both a penalty and yellow card to the keeper. It was a reckless tackle and is covered in the laws to constitue a foul, a foul in the penalty box = penalty no argument.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

Its farcical and totally unfair on goalkeepers.
Maybe the law should be re-worded to state that the attacking player must be in full control of the ball when fouled. This will avoid the ridiculous ' toe-poking ' past the keeper before the inevitable tumble. Even last night Rooney's touch past the keeper took the ball 4-5 yards away from him. I've seen the ball fly out of play even before a penalty is awarded and the player hits the ground. How is that a goal scoring opportunity? The player has lost control of the ball. The attacking player is only concerned at getting to the ball a split second before the keeper. It doesn't matter where the ball goes. More often than not, the attacking player will bring himself down. The keeper has gone for the ball and the slightest contact elicits a dramatic tumble.
Has anyone out there got the guts to do anything about this or does football continue to descend into the gutter and drag any sporting decency with it. It may be awash with money but the game itself is grubby, dirty and unsavoury and an appalling example to the youth of our country.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I think Dowd was 100% correct with giving both a penalty and yellow card to the keeper. It was a reckless tackle and is covered in the laws to constitue a foul, a foul in the penalty box = penalty no argument.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGq7VcaHoqo

This is what a really reckless tackle looks like. Admittedly this is in some ways a terrible example as I don't think it even earned France a free kick. But it does illustrate how attitudes have changed. Nowadays, rules which were intended to protect players from this type of out and out assault have been hijacked to justify some regularly ludicrous decisions (of which last nights is just the latest).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here