Preston North End Vs Burnley *****Official Match Thread*****

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Christ, we are a bitter lot aren't we?

Some absolute GEMS on Twitter tonight as well -

"If Burnley go up they will be the luckiest team ever" - yes, because as we well know you can just fluke your way to a 21 game unbeaten streak
"Barton is a shit player" - no, he really isn't. He is clever and actually one of the best players at this level. But he is a prick

The day football supporters become 100% rational and logical in all they say and do, and when football loses a sense of pantomime, it will be considerably less interesting.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

"If Burnley go up they will be the luckiest team ever" - yes, because as we well know you can just fluke your way to a 21 game unbeaten streak
"Barton is a shit player" - no, he really isn't. He is clever and actually one of the best players at this level. But he is a prick

To be fair, towards the end we were very much limping through our run just as much as they are now.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Yes, to be honest, if someone on the Burnley website posts a link to our posts tonight, they'll all have a bloody good laugh. They won tonight. Bad news for us, but they won; 1-0; could easily have been more. Held on to a one goal lead for 85(?) minutes - we know, don't we, how difficult that can be.

Lotty1

Apr 4, 2016
Wow - great to see so many intellectuals coming out with really intelligent comments not to mention the bile about BFC . My 6 year old grandson is capable of more reasoned conversation . 21 games unbeaten and top of the table = lucky if you're a Brighton fan . 3 decent teams slogging it out at the top of the table and all you can do is slag one of them off . At the moment Brighton are playing out of their skins but it hasn't been like that all season as it hasn't for Burnley or Middlesboro . Some of you really do need to grow up and get real !

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Agreed - but as the pressure mounts ..........someone's going to crack and my money is on those no-hopers from
the no-hope town of losers Burnley

Why is someone going to crack? Maybe no one will. No one looks like doing so at the moment.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Burnley manager Sean Dyche: "It's how I want the team to play - that's almost an advert for it."

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Wow - great to see so many intellectuals coming out with really intelligent comments not to mention the bile about BFC . My 6 year old grandson is capable of more reasoned conversation . 21 games unbeaten and top of the table = lucky if you're a Brighton fan . 3 decent teams slogging it out at the top of the table and all you can do is slag one of them off . At the moment Brighton are playing out of their skins but it hasn't been like that all season as it hasn't for Burnley or Middlesboro . Some of you really do need to grow up and get real !

And some of you - actually no, just 'you' need to learn to write; so it ill-behoves you to talk about f****g intellectuals.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
We might have to go through this all again on 2 May if we win our next two games!

Apr 22, 2016
Yes, to be honest, if someone on the Burnley website posts a link to our posts tonight, they'll all have a bloody good laugh. They won tonight. Bad news for us, but they won; 1-0; could easily have been more. Held on to a one goal lead for 85(?) minutes - we know, don't we, how difficult that can be.

We've had a good giggle at a few of the posts over on our forums.

Apr 5, 2016
So, let me sum it up. Joey Barton should have had 4/5 red cards tonight, Burnley shouldn't be allowed to go up because the town isn't very pretty, we are lucky and the referee gave us everything.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
This takes place in France, we are waiting outside Honfleur to attack the walls. ( It's a beautiful town and harbour) Henry V to his troops.
It's Shakespeare's day and St. George's day so mentally remove the war and dead references and speak aloud this exultation to our troops. Seagulls.

KING HENRY V
Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;
Or close the wall up with our English dead.
In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
As modest stillness and humility:
But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger;
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,
Disguise fair nature with hard-favour'd rage;
Then lend the eye a terrible aspect;
Let pry through the portage of the head
Like the brass cannon; let the brow o'erwhelm it
As fearfully as doth a galled rock
O'erhang and jutty his confounded base,
Swill'd with the wild and wasteful ocean.
Now set the teeth and stretch the nostril wide,
Hold hard the breath and bend up every spirit
To his full height. On, on, you noblest English.
Whose blood is fet from fathers of war-proof!
Fathers that, like so many Alexanders,
Have in these parts from morn till even fought
And sheathed their swords for lack of argument:
Dishonour not your mothers; now attest
That those whom you call'd fathers did beget you.
Be copy now to men of grosser blood,
And teach them how to war. And you, good yeoman,
Whose limbs were made in England, show us here
The mettle of your pasture; let us swear
That you are worth your breeding; which I doubt not;
For there is none of you so mean and base,
That hath not noble lustre in your eyes.
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

theonlymikey

Apr 21, 2016
So, let me sum it up. Joey Barton should have had 4/5 red cards tonight, Burnley shouldn't be allowed to go up because the town isn't very pretty, we are lucky and the referee gave us everything.

He didn't deserve 5 red cards. But he definitively deserved one. Not much has been said about him jumping for the ball with his knees up towards the opposition players. Or his opush at the edge of the box at the end.

His foul stopped a goal scoring opportunity developing outside his own box. By the law that's a yellow card. What do two yellow cards make? oh yes, a red. It it's obvious to many that he should have been sent off this game, and 2 or 3 prior.

Having looked at message boards across the whole championship spectrum, not just promotion rivals, there's only one teams message boards who defend his antics. Yours.

I think the Barton/Burnley problem is very much the same as the Bournemouth/Diving problem last season.

Ask yourself why nobody begrudged Norwich/Watford promotion. And why they hated Bournemouth. Burnley are the new Bournemouth. 23 sets of fans cannot be wrong about you!

I think your username is very apt and possibly should be changed to BartonTintedSpecs.

Referees have definitely been wearing them???

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

Didn't see this game so no idea what Joey Barton was up to - just the usual stuff I expect. I don't think anyone would begrudge you promotion - boring can be effective, and the league table doesn't lie. If you get there, you deserve it. But in the case of Mr Barton, there certainly seems to be some sort of reverse psychology thing with the refs who have convinced themselves that, because he now uses the occasional 3 syllable word on Twitter instead of going round stubbing out cigars in people's eyes, he's just a 'victim' of other teams trying to get him sent off. Of course, it doesn't help that although "it's a man's game" as he loves to remind people, he rolls around wailing like a 6 year old girl who's just fallen off a swing if somebody touches him.

Apr 5, 2016
It's a strange one with Joey. I used to feel the same way about him when he played for QPR. Us fans can be fickle one a player pulls on your colours.

He's brilliant at buying a free kick, but, honestly, I've never seen a player get targeted and fouled as much as he does. You only see it when he plays for you. Leadbitter kicked the shite out of him on Tuesday, nothing get said.

As for us being the new Bournemouth, I'd never heard that about them. When we went up two years ago it was that diving Vardy and the amount of penalties Leicester got. Nothing changes eh?

Sit back and enjoy it, you're coming up with us, so you can hate our Joey for another season yet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here