Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Preston (h) player ratings

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
But having taken that step, he was consequently not in a position to spring, so I don't agree.

Did you see Heaton's save yesterday? Similar level of ability all round, but positionally marginally better. All opinions. [emoji2]

I didn't quite see it the same on the cross although it was straight-ish. However, I have a similar conclusion to yourself, as per my earlier response if he had come, it would have been on the penalty spot and coming that far is full of other risks.

Yes a poor goal for us to concede as a team and very preventable before the ball was even crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've not seen the Heaton one, so can't comment on that.

He may have been caught with his weight on the wrong foot, for sure, but he was stood pretty much exactly where (as a keeper) I'd have wanted to be. The ball went in a foot from the post. To have covered that, he'd need to have left the near post completely open (which is where any header was MORE likely to have gone, and again would have been slaughtered had it gone there).

We shouldn't refer to a 'cross' either - it wasn't. The flight of a cross from wide is far, far easier to judge that a long ball straight into the box, and thus you're much more likely to be able to read it early and come out a long way. Nor was it near the penalty spot - Makiniok headed it in line with the other post (thus Stockdale's positioning was never going to cover the other one)

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Stockdale 5.
Bruno 6.
Dunk 7.
Duffy 6.
Bong 6.
Sidwell 5.
Norwood 6.
Murphy 7.
Knockaert 7
Baldock 7.
Murray 8.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Stockdale 4 -- HKFC's comments notwithstanding, thought he could have done better with both goals, and took too many risks with his distribution -- which was exposed for their first goal, but also that 'wedged' pass to Dunk beforehand sowed seeds of doubt
Bruno 5 -- responsible for two errors for their first, but had a good second half, and great run and pass for a brilliant goal
Duffy 7 -- did well, shame he couldn't put that lump off at the end
Dunk 8 -- sheer class, yet again
Bong 6.5 -- lots so much stronger now, and is no longer a cause for concern. That said, his distribution was a bit mixed
Knockaert 6.5 -- not his best game, falls over too often, and needs to recognise when his team mates are in better positions than him (e.g. that first half stabbed effort, from Bruno's pull back, which he couldn't control and hit tamely wide, when Murphy was standing immediately behind him perfectly positioned for a first time shot)
Norwood 7 -- not sure what many on here are moaning about. He's the best passer in our squad, and that was very much to the fore yesterday, especially the one for our first goal
Sidwell 6.5 -- lots of good interceptions, and strong play, want to see a bit more from him in the final third
Murphy 6 -- thought he played really well, constantly running out their defence with the ball. One point taken off for that poor ball, which might be harsh given that he was probably knackered by then
Murray 8 MotM -- think the sponsors just got it right; some brilliant touches, most notably for his goal, but also some wayward ones
Baldock 8 -- a good finish for a great team goal, ran the channels well, and caused them problems

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I've not seen the Heaton one, so can't comment on that.

He may have been caught with his weight on the wrong foot, for sure, but he was stood pretty much exactly where (as a keeper) I'd have wanted to be. The ball went in a foot from the post. To have covered that, he'd need to have left the near post completely open (which is where any header was MORE likely to have gone, and again would have been slaughtered had it gone there).

We shouldn't refer to a 'cross' either - it wasn't. The flight of a cross from wide is far, far easier to judge that a long ball straight into the box, and thus you're much more likely to be able to read it early and come out a long way. Nor was it near the penalty spot - Makiniok headed it in line with the other post (thus Stockdale's positioning was never going to cover the other one)

Funnily enough, I played in goal as well, he certainly wasnt hugging his near post, which just adds more weight to the fact he was flat footed due to the step forward he took.

Forwards when I played were told to head back towards the far post rather than go for the near, but yes if the ball had gone in at the near post he would have been disappointed.

The peak of the height of that ball was when it was at the penalty spot. It was coming down when it was headed, else it would have gone out of play. Stocko is 6'4" jumps well generally and should be taking the ball at its highest point. I'm not saying he should have come as previously outlined, but it was an option he considered due to the step forward.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Stockdale 4 -- HKFC's comments notwithstanding, thought he could have done better with both goals, and took too many risks with his distribution -- which was exposed for their first goal, but also that 'wedged' pass to Dunk beforehand sowed seeds of doubt

I'm sure that my comments will have me viewed by some as either a) wearing blue-tinted specs or b) sticking up blindly for a fellow keeper, but I actually agree that Stockdale didn't have a great game.

His distribution wasn't up to his usual standards, he was hugely (though not uniquely) culpable for the first goal, and the fannying about / Cruyff turns under pressure were poor judgment.

But - I'll simply not have it that he could have made any better call for the second. (In hindsight) he could have been stood in the wrong place and got lucky, but that's simply not how it works.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm sure that my comments will have me viewed by some as either a) wearing blue-tinted specs or b) sticking up blindly for a fellow keeper, but I actually agree that Stockdale didn't have a great game.

His distribution wasn't up to his usual standards, he was hugely (though not uniquely) culpable for the first goal, and the fannying about / Cruyff turns under pressure were poor judgment.

But - I'll simply not have it that he could have made any better call for the second. (In hindsight) he could have been stood in the wrong place and got lucky, but that's simply not how it works.

Fair play. I've sided with you re Stockdale in the past, am not one of his critics, and look forward to your comments on him. As regards the second goal, which I haven't seen a replay of, I certainly don't think he could have come for the cross, but do think he was flat-footed, and my memory also suggests that there wasn't that much power on the header, although I accept it was from fairly close in (near the six yard box?).

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Fair play. I've sided with you re Stockdale in the past, am not one of his critics, and look forward to your comments on him. As regards the second goal, which I haven't seen a replay of, I certainly don't think he could have come for the cross, but do think he was flat-footed, and my memory also suggests that there wasn't that much power on the header, although I accept it was from fairly close in (near the six yard box?).

IMG_1895.PNG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here