Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League TV money distribution 2016/17

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Are you suggesting that Sky over-egg the importance to further over-state the importance of a game they are covering?

Whatever next? You'll be giving examples of Sky building up the importance of securing a place in the Europa League to build-up dull looking end of season fixtures, only to then completely ignore the Europa League the following season.

*** SKY NEWS FLASH *** SKY NEWS FLASH ***

Gritt23 constructs rational statement to counter TOW's Sky Sports comments, stay tuned to hear TOW's response, only here LIVE on Sky, and now a word form our sponsors!

*** SKY NEWS FLASH ***

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Are you suggesting that Sky over-egg the importance to further over-state the importance of a game they are covering?

Whatever next? You'll be giving examples of Sky building up the importance of securing a place in the Europa League to build-up dull looking end of season fixtures, only to then completely ignore the Europa League the following season.

Which would be fine if they had actually over-egged it. But they haven't,

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
We'll be having some of that soon...
a516b526c8f5aaf63ef94779740980bc.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does this mean we have to wait until the end of the season to get the dosh?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Which would be fine if they had actually over-egged it. But they haven't,

Have they not? The revenue Sunderland received last year is not close to how they make it sound when the Championship Play-off Final takes place.

As for the "importance", they make it sound like any club going up is suddenly rich beyond their wildest dreams, when the reality is that they are almost certainly heading towards unprecedented losses, while AGENTS are heading to the riches.

Sky do a very good job at making everything seem bigger and better than it really is. "The best League in the WORLD" being a prime example.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Have they not? The revenue Sunderland received last year is not close to how they make it sound when the Championship Play-off Final takes place.

As for the "importance", they make it sound like any club going up is suddenly rich beyond their wildest dreams, when the reality is that they are almost certainly heading towards unprecedented losses, while AGENTS are heading to the riches.

Sky do a very good job at making everything seem bigger and better than it really is. "The best League in the WORLD" being a prime example.

No. Because it has always included parachute payments. 60m over 3 years (I believe).

Clubs who live relatively within their means can make profits fine. Take a look at Burnley etc. Costs do go up though granted.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
An obscene amount of money on offer, and rich pickings for players and agents.
Palace gained £109 mill, so that surely gives hope to the small teams coming up.:wink:

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
An obscene amount of money on offer, and rich pickings for players and agents.
Palace gained £109 mill, so that surely gives hope to the small teams coming up.:wink:

Dont forget we get bigger gate receipts as we have more fans than you!

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
And yet after 10 years in the PL, they have come down saddled with £150m+ worth of debt, and a wages-to-turnover north of 76%.

They are in a whole load of shit now.

Not really the debt is relatively secure, in a way our debt is no different to the one Brighton have only smaller, however I do agree that the positions are reversed now and that our wages to turnover has to change which hopefully relegation will assist with.

Someone mentioned will Sky prefer the Amex as its plug and play however I think you will find all premier league stadiums are set up for that now and it will make no difference in the choice. However without a North East derby in the PL next year and two years without Sunderland Newcastle which sky love I think as it has been mentioned they will make more of the South Coast derbies this season coming as they love to hype to sell games

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not really the debt is relatively secure, in a way our debt is no different to the one Brighton have only smaller, however I do agree that the positions are reversed now and that our wages to turnover has to change which hopefully relegation will assist with.

Do you not find it scary that *despite* playing in the PL for the last 10 years, a huge loyal support, and having had the benefit of the INSANE amount of money for the last couple of years from that mahoosive new TV deal, you've still crashed down with that amount of debt ?

The transfer market dealings have been disastrous, and you're constantly paying off managers so its no surprise I suppose. But if there was a book on how NOT to run a PL club, I think Sunderland would be Chapter 2, just after Palace.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Do you not find it scary that *despite* playing in the PL for the last 10 years, a huge loyal support, and having had the benefit of the INSANE amount of money for the last couple of years from that mahoosive new TV deal, you've still crashed down with that amount of debt ?

The transfer market dealings have been disastrous, and you're constantly paying off managers so its no surprise I suppose. But if there was a book on how NOT to run a PL club, I think Sunderland would be Chapter 2, just after Palace.

Actually I think we win that hands down, Palace this time around actually seem to be getting it very right!

The big money deal was only this season however there was still a huge gulf between PL and Championship.

Billionaire many times over as an owner who had a go at playing for the first part of his tenure and now has realised that he doesn't want to keep digging in to his pockets so really changing things around. As worrying as it was he has taken a new path now and even though we are very stable I think the reduction of debt (his debt) is on the cards unless one of the rumours of takeover is true

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Sunderland got £100million this season from the PL - more than Leicester got last year for winning the PL.

On average PL teams get 60% - 65% of their revenue from PL payments - the remaining money comes from match day receipts and the club's commercial operations. In other words £100million from the PL and another £60million - £70million from match day receipts and commercial activities. (Man Utd on the other hand only get about 25% of their income from the PL.

As for parachute payments - that is based on the money received by the club the year it is relegated - 55% the first year 45% the second years and for the following three years 20% of that figure. The top six clubs (Chelsea, Man U, Man C, Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool) are attempting to dramatically cut the parachute payments because clubs going down are banking the parachute payments - getting back into the PL and then spending the money - which according to the top six is distorting the PL by driving up wage levels.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Sunderland got £100million this season from the PL - more than Leicester got last year for winning the PL.

On average PL teams get 60% - 65% of their revenue from PL payments - the remaining money comes from match day receipts and the club's commercial operations. In other words £100million from the PL and another £60million - £70million from match day receipts and commercial activities. (Man Utd on the other hand only get about 25% of their income from the PL.

As for parachute payments - that is based on the money received by the club the year it is relegated - 55% the first year 45% the second years and for the following three years 20% of that figure. The top six clubs (Chelsea, Man U, Man C, Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool) are attempting to dramatically cut the parachute payments because clubs going down are banking the parachute payments - getting back into the PL and then spending the money - which according to the top six is distorting the PL by driving up wage levels.

One thing is the parachute payments do stop if you go back up again. The top clubs are really trying to stop it to close the shop even more in their favour

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
So just broadcasting revenue, which I'm assuming is facility fees and overseas TV, is guaranteed to be more than 2 times the club's total revenue for 2016? I'm not sure how the Equal Share payment would be classified?

Broadcasting

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

The top six are greedy and just want more money for their foreign owners.

Their claims don't hold up to scrutiny.

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
Does this mean we have to wait until the end of the season to get the dosh?

I believe it's half of the Initial 'shared' money on 1st July (roughly 30mil), Half again on 1st Jan ish, and then money for wherever we place at the end of the season. I remember Barber saying something about a big instant increase in money somewhere, but can't be bothered to find it

Clampet

Apr 27, 2016
Parachute payments changed season just finished. If a team is relegated their first season they only get 2 years payments. They are trying to stop teams doing a West Brom/Burnley. They expect teams to spend it. Appears they don't care about clubs ending up in trouble.

The money paid to clubs is given out certain dates in the season (not sure how much or how many). I think they coincide with the transfer windows. I suppose it makes it more exciting in January if teams have money to spend. Some would blow it all in August if they had it. Although banks would probably loan easily knowing money is due. Most transfers are done in instalments now.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
People seem to say that every year, it's not always about how much you can spend on players. That's what's good about the championship, it's very competitive and with the playoffs, gives a few more teams a chance.

But this year is the first year that the huge new TV deal has kicked in, it gives the relegated clubs the type of financial clout that they could only dream of in previous years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here