Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League trio considering January approach for Brighton winger Solly March

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He's third choice behind KLL and Murphy; he'll be lucky to make the bench after the next 2 games.
Calling him third choice is a little simplistic and arguably not true. He finally got his chance against Cardiff and he really took it. I think he'd have reason to feel aggrieved if he wasn't at the forefront of Hughton's mind right now.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Funny thing is, that people said similar when Tommy Elphick was sold to Bournemouth. Where is he now? Skipper of a team who are 15th in the Premier League.

Yep that. Its no secret that Solly has been on peoples/scouts radar for a long time. Friend of a friend at Fulham (last December) came across three or four scouts. One was from Man City.

Interestingly said scout didnt speak very highly of Burke either. He had a spell at City.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Funny thing is, that people said similar when Tommy Elphick was sold to Bournemouth. Where is he now? Skipper of a team who are 15th in the Premier League.

I don't think anyone was happy to see Elphick go - I certainly wasn't. Anyone with half a brain could see he was a very, very good CB. But the reality was that at that time he was behind Greer and Upson in the pecking order, and he would not be getting a game unless one of those was injured or suspended. Bournemouth could offer him regular first team action, something we could not. He wanted to be playing regularly, so when the opportunity came along, he took it and left. Simple as that. Its no reflection on BHA, and I don't recall anyone on here saying "yeah get rid". He was just unfortunate to have his opportunities here limited by a rock-solid pairing in front of him.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't think anyone was happy to see Elphick go - I certainly wasn't. Anyone with half a brain could see he was a very, very good CB. But the reality was that at that time he was behind Greer and Upson in the pecking order, and he would not be getting a game unless one of those was injured or suspended. Bournemouth could offer him regular first team action, something we could not. He wanted to be playing regularly, so when the opportunity came along, he took it and left. Simple as that. Its no reflection on BHA, and I don't recall anyone on here saying "yeah get rid". He was just unfortunate to have his opportunities here limited by a rock-solid pairing in front of him.

He was also behind El-Abd, so there were people saying let's cash in. We have promising youngsters and should try to hold on to them. We did with Dunk, although I appreciate he had already secured a first team place.
I would hate to lose March, especially now he's starting to fulfill the promise.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Classic made-up story.

Brighton are doing well, who's playing for them? Let's have a look at the most recent match report. Solly March got a good mark, and I think I've heard of him. Where was it now? I'll check on NewsNow - ooh look, he's in the England under-21s so he must be good.

Shall I check to see whether he's been playing for Brighton regularly? No, too much like hard work. I'll pull three Premier League club names out at random and link him with them. Better bung in a mention of an uncheckable source. Job done.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
If he can play like that most of the time of course Premiership sides are going to be interested. Why wouldn't they be?

I really don't think he's got the build to play rugby.

(Sorry, I can't help myself. I realise this is pedantic and annoying but the Premier League hasn't been called the Premiership since 2007)

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

He was never kept out of the team by Upson. But I agree that dropping down a league and going to Bournemouth enabled him to progress far more than he would have if he'd stayed. Same goes for Cook.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He was never kept out of the team by Upson. But I agree that dropping down a league and going to Bournemouth enabled him to progress far more than if he would have if he'd stayed. Same goes for Cook.

Wasn't he ?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I really don't think he's got the build to play rugby.

(Sorry, I can't help myself. I realise this is pedantic and annoying but the Premier League hasn't been called the Premiership since 2007)

I stand corrected oh wise and venerable one. :shootself

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I vaguely remember reports that Newcastle were interested in Kevin McGarrigle.

He went to Blyth Spartans.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Elphick left summer 2012; Upson joined (on loan) in Jan 2013.

My memory isn't what it was. Quite surprising that then - I guess he was just vying with the Greer / Dunk partnership, with El Abd there as well (although I'd have had him ahead of El Abd).

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Did Elphick even play a game for us at the AMEX ???

No, he ruptured his achilles tendon during the final away game at Notts County. He then had to have two operations to heal it, as the first one went wrong, so he was out for a long time.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Classic made-up story.

Brighton are doing well, who's playing for them? Let's have a look at the most recent match report. Solly March got a good mark, and I think I've heard of him. Where was it now? I'll check on NewsNow - ooh look, he's in the England under-21s so he must be good.

Shall I check to see whether he's been playing for Brighton regularly? No, too much like hard work. I'll pull three Premier League club names out at random and link him with them. Better bung in a mention of an uncheckable source. Job done.

Reminds me of chatting to someone who works editorial for The Mirror. He said that all football rumours on their (and other papers') pages were educated guesswork. I responded that they weren't particularly educated, to which he agreed.
Anyone would think that you're in this game :hilton:

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Not good enough for us , let the other 2 clubs go for him if they want .

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
The collective wisdom of NSC probably believes that, realistically, he's not good enough to make the squad of an established top half PL team like Spurs or Southampton. However, there's a large spectrum of ability between this and being tosh.

Exactly. Not sure where the notion that the collective wisdom of NSC thinks he's shit comes from.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here