Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League squad values

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
According to transfermarkt, which club has the most cheaply assembled squad?

You guessed it :) A quick bit of mental arithmetic tells me the figures aren't 100% accurate but it's not a million miles off. All praise Tony Bloom and the team.

squads.jpeg

(Obviously, the market values are complete nonsense eg. they have Caicedo at 5.4 mill and they think Man U's players have gone up in value since they bought them :mad:)

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Aston Villa's squad having twice the market value of ours is hilarious. Transfermarkt never fails to deliver on that front!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The market values are utter rubbish on Transfermrkt.

I remember they once valued an aging Ankergren with under a year left on his contract at 200K. At that point I knew they were just comedy guesses.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The market values are utter rubbish on Transfermrkt.

I remember they once valued an aging Ankergren with under a year left on his contract at 200K. At that point I knew they were just comedy guesses.

Agree re market values (238m might be enough for Caiecedo, Sanchez and Trossard :lol::lol:) but the purchase values don’t look too far out of line (caveated by everything we do being ‘undisclosed’). Very stark statement of the effectiveness of the recruitment team.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I've done some rough maths and reckon the actual cost of the squad is somewhere between 120 - 130m. That would still keep us in the bottom 3 or 4.

Tremendous work all round by the club.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Haven't Forest spent more than £114m this summer alone?

I thought that too so had a look at their page omn Forest's transfers. It seems they've gone with the lower-end of the fees. eg Gibbs-white at 25.

Presumably, they've done the same with us and not included add-ons etc. Hence, out squad being 99mill rather than the 120 someone suggested above.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The league table and this table aren't that dissimilar unsurprisingly.
Only us and to a lesser extent, Brentford buck the trend.
Brentford are basically "pocket Albion" - two well run clubs punching well above their weight. It's no surprise given the similarity in ownership and there is no way either are going down any time soon IMO.

We need to remember these halcyon days fondly because eventually the big clubs are going to wake up and start doing things in a similar way to Brighton and Brentford, along with other similar sized clubs in our division and below.

Meanwhile just enjoy the success, and also the way Man Utd thrash about cluelessly signing anyone who would cost more than the GDP of a mid sized African country.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I've done some rough maths and reckon the actual cost of the squad is somewhere between 120 - 130m. That would still keep us in the bottom 3 or 4.

Tremendous work all round by the club.

So the sales of White, Cucurella, Bissouma, Burn and Ostigard in the last year or so have effectively repaid Tony for the cost of our entire squad and still leaves him with £30 million spare to buy a striker.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
So the sales of White, Cucurella, Bissouma, Burn and Ostigard in the last year or so have effectively repaid Tony for the cost of our entire squad and still leaves him with £30 million spare to buy a striker.

Yeah, more or less, if my dodgy maths is close to correct. I hadn't thought of it like that.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Aston Villa's squad having twice the market value of ours is hilarious. Transfermarkt never fails to deliver on that front!

So, according to that site, John McGinn is worth more than:

Groß
Caicedo
Lallana
Alzate
Sarmiento
March

Put together!

Obviously, a Villa fan is updating the values. Ridiculous as we’d not swap the scotch for anyone in our midfield, especially the players above!

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
Here is the difference between final position places 21/22 v purchase value (excludes relegated teams)

1 Man City 0
2 Liverpool 0
3 Chelsea 0
4 Spurs +4
5 Arsenal 0
6 Man Utd -2
7 West Ham +4
8 Leicester City +1
9 Brighton +11
10 Wolves 0
11 Newcastle -5
12 Crystal Palace +3
13 Brentford +6
14 Aston Villa -7
15 Southampton -1
16 Everton -4
17 Leeds United -4

Brighton biggest overachievers by some margin
Aston Villa biggest underachievers

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Brentford are basically "pocket Albion" - two well run clubs punching well above their weight. It's no surprise given the similarity in ownership and there is no way either are going down any time soon IMO.

We need to remember these halcyon days fondly because eventually the big clubs are going to wake up and start doing things in a similar way to Brighton and Brentford, along with other similar sized clubs in our division and below.

Meanwhile just enjoy the success, and also the way Man Utd thrash about cluelessly signing anyone who would cost more than the GDP of a mid sized African country.

:eek: You've done it now, Simster...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here