Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League plans for the remainder of the season *** ALL FIXTURES POSTPONED 3rd April

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
That would always have been the case though. If clubs want players under contract for the resumption of football they will give new contracts. They still have the tv money. Players might feel more need for job security.

How do you set budgets if you don’t know what is happening with this season?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Will we reach a point where for the non long term sick and elderly this is just a more extreme version of the flu.
Yes, but we won't reach that point in the next couple of months. So we won't be having big crowds and there seems little point in playing behind closed doors.

This is the UK governments thinking and seems to make sense, otherwise this will never end.
Never is a mighty long time. It's not going to end in a couple of months, but will hopefully look a lot different in a year.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Yes, but we won't reach that point in the next couple of months. So we won't be having big crowds and there seems little point in playing behind closed doors.

Never is a mighty long time. It's not going to end in a couple of months, but will hopefully look a lot different in a year.
Not being funny but why is there no point in playing behind closed doors ? At least to finish the season off.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not being funny but why is there no point in playing behind closed doors ? At least to finish the season off.
Although playing behind closed doors is a pale imitation of proper sport, I think it would be worth it like you say, if it could be done, just to finish the season. But the reality is it would be too difficult to have healthy teams on the field. A lot of young healthy people suffer a lot more than mild symptoms, and then you've got some aging managers and coaching staff, it would just be a nightmare.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Palace manager Roy Hodgson aged 73 won’t be allowed out to play for 4 months !!

Zaha-Schelotto-Brighton-Palace-640x420.jpg

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
IMHO the season stops here for all teams not directly affected by promotion, relegation or the possibility of playing in Europe next season given their current standing in the tables.
The season in every league should therefore stop for all teams who have played the most common number of games per league as at the date of the ban on games (i.e. for the PL 29 games, The Championship 37 games, Div 1 35 games and so on).
Teams who have not yet played this number of games and would be in with a chance of promotion or avoiding relegation will play their (usually) 1 outstanding game behind closed doors and not on TV...this would apply, at a quick glance, to Sheffield United, Aston Villa and Swindon.
The play-offs would be cancelled.
Only the top two or three teams (depending on the league) as things currently stand would be promoted once these games have been played out and all teams in every league with a chance of promotion, becoming champions or avoiding relegation have reached a level playing field in terms of the number of games played with the key other teams in their league.
Teams would then be promoted or relegated on the basis of league positions at the time the season was stopped.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
IMHO the season stops here for all teams not directly affected by promotion, relegation or the possibility of playing in Europe next season given their current standing in the tables.
The season in every league should therefore stop for all teams who have played the most common number of games per league as at the date of the ban on games (i.e. for the PL 29 games, The Championship 37 games, Div 1 35 games and so on).
Teams who have not yet played this number of games and would be in with a chance of promotion or avoiding relegation will play their (usually) 1 outstanding game behind closed doors and not on TV...this would apply, at a quick glance, to Sheffield United, Aston Villa and Swindon.
The play-offs would be cancelled.
Only the top two or three teams (depending on the league) as things currently stand would be promoted once these games have been played out and all teams in every league with a chance of promotion, becoming champions or avoiding relegation have reached a level playing field in terms of the number of games played with the key other teams in their league.
Teams would then be promoted or relegated on the basis of league positions at the time the season was stopped.

For me that is not a fair outcome as each team has not played the same fixtures home and away so some would have had a tougher 29 games than others. This is why either finishing completely or null and void are really the only two fair options.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Whilst there's no way they'd go for that plan now - I expect they'll keep pushing dates back and back as this thing progresses - that does feel kinda sensible ultimately on many levels.

One problem football as a whole is going to have to deal with is contracts. Many players, at all levels, will be free to walk away from their current clubs at the end of June.

More immediate problem is how many of the 92 clubs survive 3-4 months without income? We're probably only weeks from hearing about clubs failing to pay their wages.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
The latter is more likely to me. As important as football is to us, it'll be collateral damage.

I think the latter is almost nailed on it’s just they are waiting for the right time to tell people at the point everyone will knowingly accept there is no other option.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I think the latter is almost nailed on it’s just they are waiting for the right time to tell people at the point everyone will knowingly accept there is no other option.

Yep, no way it will finish, the football administrators would look so out of kilter with the community within which it’s housed. It’ll all be about looking forward

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I think Paul Barbers solution is the best one I’ve heard yet.

Liverpool get the title. No one gets relegated, top 2 promoted from the Championship and have a bigger PL next season with 4 going down.

I think resuming the league now will be virtually impossible. Even if games were to be played behind closed doors, there’s still a lot of uncertainty with CV and fans may still congregate. Not to mention players will no longer be match (or mentally) fit.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there

Liverpool get the title. No one gets relegated, top 2 promoted from the Championship and have a bigger PL next season with 4 going down.

I think resuming the league now will be virtually impossible. Even if games were to be played behind closed doors, there’s still a lot of uncertainty with CV and fans may still congregate. Not to mention players will no longer be match (or mentally) fit.

Only the PL exists in the minds of some.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51896488
Wayne Rooney saying footballers being treated like Guinea pigs re coronavirus. Errr they're all off chilling out now safe in the knowledge their huge pay cheques will still continue with the best health care in the world, whilst the rest of us carry on as best we can depending on industry of work . Such an insensitive comment showing how out of touch he/professional football is.

Last edited:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Have a bigger PL from now on. 22 teams would mean a few more games each season. We used to do it, never really understood why it was reduced.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Wayne Rooney saying footballers being treated like Guinea pigs re coronavirus. Errr they're all off chilling out now safe in the knowledge their huge pay cheques will still continue with the best health care in the world, whilst the rest of us carry on as best we can depending on industry of work . Such an insensitive comment showing how out of touch he/professional football in the prem is.

Exactly, another elite out of step. Loads of other sports stumbled on then got it, F1, netball. Rugby league I think still going but not for long

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wayne Rooney saying footballers being treated like Guinea pigs re coronavirus. Errr they're all off chilling out now safe in the knowledge their huge pay cheques will still continue with the best health care in the world, whilst the rest of us carry on as best we can depending on industry of work . Such an insensitive comment showing how out of touch he/professional football is.

I read his piece as well. He’s a prick.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here