Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League plans for the remainder of the season *** ALL FIXTURES POSTPONED 3rd April

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Merkel said yesterday that Germany expects 60-70% to catch it. Frankly, their preparations and contingency for dealing with it is better than ours, so it's hard to argue that less of us will catch it. But what's important is how quickly it spreads, because that's what can overwhelm medical resources, especially ICU beds, staff and equipment (eg ventilators). It's been reported that Italy has twice the number of acute ICU beds we have (sorry, no immediate source). So I imagine the key question COBR will be asking this morning is 'what measures can slow down transmission?' Banning mass events could well be one.

What she didn't really say and one of her top virologists did, is that infection rate while a reasonable worse case scenario might take years to reach that level depending on treatments etc.

What we need to wake up to is that this virus is going to be with us conceivable for quite a long time, and so drastic measures may not have the impact you need depending on your country's current situation.

I'm at a loss if banning mass events is bought in if say for example, you continue running the underground, or trains, or even retail centres? Is banning a football match proportionate if Bluewater is still open in Saturday? Why should a football match be stopped as a mass event if Thorpe Park and Chessington, cinemas, museums, galleries etc. etc. are all still open?

If you are going to stop something it has to have a notable objective impact in conjunction with other measures. Stopping football matches at the weekend is just nuts if we're not shutting anything else.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007

I'm at a loss if banning mass events is bought in if say for example, you continue running the underground, or trains, or even retail centres? Is banning a football match proportionate if Bluewater is still open in Saturday? Why should a football match be stopped as a mass event if Thorpe Park and Chessington, cinemas, museums, galleries etc. etc. are all still open?

If you are going to stop something it has to have a notable objective impact in conjunction with other measures. Stopping football matches at the weekend is just nuts if we're not shutting anything else.

I agree. But, the Premier League in particular is symbolic to not just our internal society but externally as well. The Government needs to be seen to do something, and this is probably the lowest impact to the economy and to the majority of the population.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It may turn out to be the case, of course, but in China only 80k of 2 billion people caught it. Even if the reported cases were only a tenth of the actual reality that’s nowhere near 60%. The ratio is similar in other countries. I’m wondering where Mrs Merkel is getting her projections from and what they’re based on.

As said above, her projections are longer term, potentially over 2 or 3 years given we don't actually have any natural immunity to this particular virus. The entire battle now is to make that worse case 60-70% infection rate as slow as possible

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I agree. But, the Premier League in particular is symbolic to not just our internal society but externally as well. The Government needs to be seen to do something, and this is probably the lowest impact to the economy and to the majority of the population.

Okay, I can see that. Good point. As a symbolic PR act, putting matches behind closed doors would be a good bit of spin. But on its own that's all it will be.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
This is a nonsense. The season should be suspended until the current crisis is over. Pick up whenever that is, and adjust the following season or two accordingly. That is the only fair way to treat people.

In my eyes it simple, the Euros are in doubt anyway now so just bring a halt to the season for all leagues and re-start as soon as safe and run until say mid June early July put the Euros back to 2021.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
So if someone has paid out £8,000 or more for a once in a lifetime holiday or one to mark a landmark birthday, they should just shrug their shoulders and say I don't need a refund it's for the greater good.
Until the Government bring in new legislation that overrides consumer rights, a contract is in place and the terms and conditions must be adhered to.
The amount of the ticket or whatever is irrelevant.

I just see the newspaper report of having a ticket to watch the stream as nothing more that the PL and the clubs looking to avoid giving refunds that they know otherwise they would need to do.

A £50 ticket and people should be pragmatic, eight grand and I would be chasing my money. In principle the value is irrelevant, let us see how principles stand up in the next six months.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Come tell me about it in six months time, not just the Albion, but concert tickets, rail tickets, holidays booked etc etc.. I am not liking any of it, just don’t be surprised if the playing field ain’t as level as it used to be.

Man Utd giving fans out in Austria upto £350 for their travel

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
What she didn't really say and one of her top virologists did, is that infection rate while a reasonable worse case scenario might take years to reach that level depending on treatments etc.

What we need to wake up to is that this virus is going to be with us conceivable for quite a long time, and so drastic measures may not have the impact you need depending on your country's current situation.

Maybe football in Britain effects far more people than those events you mention. Adds to the panic effect that is being instilled into the public in general.

"You never let a serious crisis go to waste. And what I mean by that it's an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before." Rahm Emanuel

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
Why not just give those who have purchased a ticket credit and a loyalty point or 10?
That way you could either purchase a ticket in the future or spend it in the club shop. This gives those that don't want to effect the club's finances the opportunity to never claim the credit, or at least delay it so the club doesn't have to take a hit all at once.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So if someone has paid out £8,000 or more for a once in a lifetime holiday or one to mark a landmark birthday, they should just shrug their shoulders and say I don't need a refund it's for the greater good.
Until the Government bring in new legislation that overrides consumer rights, a contract is in place and the terms and conditions must be adhered to.
The amount of the ticket or whatever is irrelevant.

I just see the newspaper report of having a ticket to watch the stream as nothing more that the PL and the clubs looking to avoid giving refunds that they know otherwise they would need to do.

An £8000 holiday would be covered by travel insurance.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Man Utd giving fans out in Austria upto £350 for their travel

C’mon, easy to put up a singular goodwill example affecting a small number of fans. Refunds for 25% of a season ticket for 70,000 could be a very different matter.

This is not about who is right and let’s laugh at who is wrong. I am just trying to point out that normal expectations may not apply over the next few months.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Is an all or nothing behind closed doors policy the only option or should other possibilities be considered which still offers a level of protection.

What if all grounds introduced a 10% capacity attendance. This would ensure spectators could be kept at a relatively safe distance from each other, it would retain an albeit small revenue stream and thirdly it would produce an element of atmosphere and support.

Ticket allocation for season ticket holders could be on a revolving basis per remaining home matches which would obviously mean that 50% of season ticket holders would miss out but it would only be for one match and they could be compensated accordingly.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Is an all or nothing behind closed doors policy the only option or should other possibilities be considered which still offers a level of protection.

What if all grounds introduced a 10% capacity attendance. This would ensure spectators could be kept at a relatively safe distance from each other, it would retain an albeit small revenue stream and thirdly it would produce an element of atmosphere and support.

Ticket allocation for season ticket holders could be on a revolving basis per remaining home matches which would obviously mean that 50% of season ticket holders would miss out but it would only be for one match and they could be compensated accordingly.

Whilst it's a nice compromise the logistics of working out who can and can't attend which matches and all ensuing correspondence might be a bit too much for clubs to handle. Also what about away fans?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

lone-female-fan-or-spectator-sitting-cheering-in-amongst-rows-of-empty-GHDAD1.jpg

Sounds fun

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
BBC News saying PL are distancing themselves from the article, awaiting updates from BoJo

La Liga shut down for time being.

Real Madrid in self isolation.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
La Liga have just suspended the next two match days, reports that the entire Real Madrid squad have been sent home to self isolate after a Real Madrid basketball player has tested positive.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Just a matter of time till players and staff starting catching the illness then that’s it game over and season postponed indefinitely.

Not overly dramatic just a mathematic certainty.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Premier League plans for the remainder of the season

Why not just give those who have purchased a ticket credit and a loyalty point or 10?
That way you could either purchase a ticket in the future or spend it in the club shop. This gives those that don't want to effect the club's finances the opportunity to never claim the credit, or at least delay it so the club doesn't have to take a hit all at once.

I’m sorry but it looks like everyone’s finances are going to be hit really bad . That being the case bollox about worrying about the club . Me and my wife run our own private hire company just the two of us. Already looking at 20 airports down this month that’s a £1000 loss . The two school runs I can’t see lasting till the end of the month as both are vulnerable children that will be another £1500 . Not interested how the club will cope more worried about losing my business

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here