Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League plans for the remainder of the season *** ALL FIXTURES POSTPONED 3rd April

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
LIverpool should be awarded the title. End of. I doubt any league club would take issue with that.

Would they want it though? 30 years without title and then winning it in an office while all the fans, players and other employees are locked up in their apartments/mansions?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Would they want it though? 30 years without title and then winning it in an office while all the fans, players and other employees are locked up in their apartments/mansions?

This.

There is a CHASM of difference between being awarded a title, and winning it. If they bin off 2019/20 and arbitrarily decide Liverpool are champions, they will never be considered "true" champions by anyone, not even their own fans. You ain't won it till you've won it.

As we well know to our cost when our partyboys somehow stuffed up winning the League when it was ours for the taking.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
LIverpool should be awarded the title. End of. I doubt any league club would take issue with that.

But, anyway, this season is ten matches from completion. Let next season suffer. No one is punished because a ball hasn't been kicked.

They may very well be punished, particularly those who are playing in a division below because of it. Or those unable to participate in a european competition that they had a genuine chance of reaching. Or in the same division, when they thought they were in a genuine position to be pushing for automatics/playoffs.

This is what many clubs will rightly or wrongly argue for, that they were poised to do any of the above before this shitstorm hit. Some clubs will be in better positions now than if the season had continued unhindered. Some clubs will be in worse positions.

Some teams might rely on fitness levels more than others, particularly those with low possession. Unless you think we're going to squeeze in a pre-season quarter season too?

Some players may be out, who would otherwise not have been out with injury.

Some may return from injury, who would have otherwise been injured.

See where it starts to get tricky? There has already been enough to invalidate the season as a whole if we actually use a bit of common sense.

And no, these things will not all "even themselves out". Somebody will lose, yet so many people seem to be ok with that so long as liverpool win their title, as if it's the only ****ing league in the country and the only important topic of debate.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

But, anyway, this season is ten matches from completion. Let next season suffer. No one is punished because a ball hasn't been kicked.

No they shouldn't be. Doesn't work like that.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
My view is that the 2021/22 season will not take place and that the 2019/20 season will be completed at some point, all European countries will be in alignment so as Champions League and Europa League will also be completed.

Clubs will suspend direct debits and reimburse any season ticket monies taken for the 2020/21 season, just an educated view. This will allow the 2021 Euros to take place. :shrug:

Leave the poor 21/22 season alone!

The 20/21 season however is of course in danger. Its extremely hard to tell but I could see it either cancelled (to finish 19/20) or cut in half, like they've done in the US the times their professional sports leagues couldnt start because of failed Collective Bargaining Agreement negotiations.

Apologies, I got the season wrong. It should have been the 20/21 season that will not take place. :thumbsup:

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I don't like the idea of not finishing something that has been started so I would like to see this season finished even if it has to carry over into next season's time period.....

And then if that is the case (this may have already been suggested) in order to reduce the inevitable fixture congestion impacting on next season then all of next season's leagues could be split into two based on this seasons placings, top half and bottom half.

This would reduce the number of games each team plays by half and therefore would also allow next season to immediately follow on from the overflow games from this season as the number of games played during the same time period would be slightly less than over a normal season, even allowing for the carry over from this season.

Normal service would resume for 21/22

Last edited:

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I personally think that so much would have changed by the time that things are back to normal that it is almost
a different season anyway. And unfair on any team that gets relegated. I am massively biased of course.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Football finances and player wages / transfer fees are going to change dramatically.

Players and agents should get ready to change and say goodbye to the gravy train that has just left the station. It may be back but not for quite a while.

That would be one positive from this virus.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I don't like the idea of not finishing something that has been started so I would like to see this season finished even if it has to carry over into next season's time period.....

And then if that is the case (this may have already been suggested) in order to reduce the inevitable fixture congestion impacting on next season then all of next season's leagues could be split into two based on this seasons placings, top half and bottom half.

This would reduce the number of games each team plays by half and therefore would also allow next season to immediately follow on from the overflow games from this season as the number of games played during the same time period would be slightly less than over a normal season, even allowing for the carry over from this season.

Normal service would resume for 21/22

Sorry, but that's ridiculous. We play a whole season not playing the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City and Utd etc. In an ideal world we would all like this season to be finished but we are far from an ideal world. I can't help but feel that a lot of this insistance to finish the season is sentiment for Liverpool. Also, a lot of these permutations seem to rely on starting around August and there is no guarantee of that.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Looks like non league are shutting down and deciding between current possition or points per game.

https://bhtfc.co.uk/2020/03/statement-league-termination/

If we went points per game in the Premier League were does that leave us?

Exactly where we are.

Almost everyone stays where they are. I checked this a week or two back. The only changes in position, are that Arsenal go above Spurs into 8th, and Sheff Utd go above Wolves into 6th.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
The fixture calendar is aligned globally and the authorities will want to get back to that established cycle ASAP so if the summer window that has been made available by dropping the Euros is not sufficient to complete this season then we will see a null and voiding of this season at some point between now and June.

Whether the 20/21 season starts on time is another question and my guess would be if that is delayed the cup competitions, winter break and perhaps some international breaks will make way to complete the leagues in the event of a late start.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The fixture calendar is aligned globally and the authorities will want to get back to that established cycle ASAP so if the summer window that has been made available by dropping the Euros is not sufficient to complete this season then we will see a null and voiding of this season at some point between now and June.

Whether the 20/21 season starts on time is another question and my guess would be if that is delayed the cup competitions, winter break and perhaps some international breaks will make way to complete the leagues in the event of a late start.

Have to agree with you. As I see it, there are only two ways this will finish, void the season and start 20/21 with every team where they were at the start of 19/20 or the teams stay were they are and you relegate/promote teams on that basis. Not sure they will cancel all international breaks as qualifying for world cup is involved but the nations cup could be dropped by Uefa. They could then still press ahead with champions league as it's their jewel in the crown, plus those in it want the money!

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I think all attention should be to complete in full next season. On that basis unless things change this season will not finish and anything but making it null and void will not be right. Of course unfortunate to those hoping for promotion or titles but nothing compared to what is happening outside football. The thought of having to refund ST holders will course upset clubs. The world will have changed when this is over and Premier clubs will just have to spend less on transfers and all make a one off donation to div 1/2 clubs

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We hear a lot about the £765m which will be forfeited if the season doesn't finish.

But... if we void the season, this amount is covered by clubs slashing their transfer budgets once the new season money arrives.

So a bit of a red herring, pushed by those pundits who want Liverpool to win the title.

Void the season now, slash summer transfer budgets. Focus on next season and recovery.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here