Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Suspect that our season ticket revenue for next season will be used to give us access/streaming codes for all our home matches, but it won't be the same watching footy played out in an empty stadium. Remember watching Wigan a few years ago when they were in the Prem - same thing.

£100 per month for 2 seats?? no thanks my firestick gives me all matches ALL every team for £35 per year...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The only way football league clubs could get through this would be for some kind of emergency TV package, whether that’s Sky extending their rights to show every FL game or some kind of PPV or season ticket offering. As a Grimsby fan, I’d be prepared to pay the equivalent of my usual season ticket (around £350) if it meant I could watch every home and away game, though admittedly this has so far impacted me financially less than many others (simply through the fortune of happening to have a job that can continue in the midst of this crisis).

How far down the pyramid could you realistically do that though? At some point there’s a real risk you’re going to have whole divisions of clubs going under. Tragic is the wrong word at this time, but it’s another depressing side effect of this whole ordeal.

PL clubs directly, or through a temporary redistribution of PL broadcasting income, will shirley have to filter not insignificant monies down to the likes of Grimsby. The survival of clubs up and down the country, is far more important than the next fat contract to a PL player or hugely expensive signing.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
£100 per month for 2 seats?? no thanks my firestick gives me all matches ALL every team for £35 per year...

I cant see the club getting away with charging in that way for access to matches. I certainly wouldn't be keen. A ridiculously high outlay for streams that could cut out not to mention that a percentage would be on Sky or BT anyway

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
PL clubs directly, or through a temporary redistribution of PL broadcasting income, will shirley have to filter not insignificant monies down to the likes of Grimsby. The survival of clubs up and down the country, is far more important than the next fat contract to a PL player or hugely expensive signing.

The PL have already committed £125m to EFL and National League clubs.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

I agree, but question is if Prince Sheik Mohamed Al-Jabba Hutt, mr Ronald McDonald or Xi Jinpings ex-neighbor - owners of the majority of the PL clubs - give a shit about Grimsby or English lower league football in general. I doubt they are going to share their TV money unless they are forced to, which is probably quite a project in itself.

Edit: Didnt read this. Well thats good then : p

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Football, at the top of the pyramid, has been exposed for what it is during this outbreak.

The damage caused by the insistence on completion of the season which is purely financial, combined with players still taking home ridiculous monies whilst the majority suffer will live long in the memory of many.

You see, I disagree with this a bit, and the ongoing demonisation of football has also annoyed me. That's not to say that football is perfect - it's far from it - but it does seem to have become a bit of a scapegoat.

Like it or not, the Premier League is a complex multi-billion pound international business. Like all businesses it will be trying to make plans to allow it to continue operations when it is able to do so. There will be multiple plans based on many different scenarios and variables.

However, unlike most big businesses, which are broadly left to get on with it by themselves, there is a whole industry that exists to report on and document Premier League activities. That massive industry has also come to a standstill, pretty much, and about the only story available to them is "when will Premier League football be back?" As a result, the PL, and its clubs are under a level of scrutiny that very few other businesses are.

I've seen no suggestion that the Premier League nor its clubs think it's bigger and more important than the health crisis that is going on right now, but that's not to say as responsible businesses they shouldn't be trying to make plans for how they will continue operations as and when that is possible.

Is it about money? Partly yes but, again, it's a big business. They'd be stupid to not be trying to make plans for all eventualities they may face.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I have followed that, voluntarily they’ve been generous, it’s an advance on committed future ‘solidarity payments’.

But, 5live analysed this latest PL measure as a drop in the ocean per EFL/NL club, relative to their lost income and costs bases. Paul Scally, the nice owner of Gillingham, slammed it as “PL fat cats just looking after themselves”. Awful negotiating tactics.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You see, I disagree with this a bit, and the ongoing demonisation of football has also annoyed me. That's not to say that football is perfect - it's far from it - but it does seem to have become a bit of a scapegoat.

Like it or not, the Premier League is a complex multi-billion pound international business. Like all businesses it will be trying to make plans to allow it to continue operations when it is able to do so. There will be multiple plans based on many different scenarios and variables.

However, unlike most big businesses, which are broadly left to get on with it by themselves, there is a whole industry that exists to report on and document Premier League activities. That massive industry has also come to a standstill, pretty much, and about the only story available to them is "when will Premier League football be back?" As a result, the PL, and its clubs are under a level of scrutiny that very few other businesses are.

I've seen no suggestion that the Premier League nor its clubs think it's bigger and more important than the health crisis that is going on right now, but that's not to say as responsible businesses they shouldn't be trying to make plans for how they will continue operations as and when that is possible.

Is it about money? Partly yes but, again, it's a big business. They'd be stupid to not be trying to make plans for all eventualities they may face.

Spot on.

As I mentioned on another thread tonight (which I started, let's not be coy) Andrew Crofts, a credit to football and to BHA.

Surprised by the player envy/hatred on NSC right now, frankly. :shrug:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

Good points, well made.

I think more gravitas should be given, as a business, to how/when it should be reinstated at a relevant and pertinent time.

The current emphasis still appears to be upon completion of prevoius business, long in the past. Forgive me for my cynicism, but that aspect should be binned and the focus put upon a relaunch sensitive to the situation of many going forward. That, I feel, would be more understood and lauded.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Going by separate articles on BBC.

1. The PL season will be completed on a free to air TV basis. That’s shirley not economically sustainable for seasons 2020/21 and 2021/22 on behind closed doors football.

2. UEFA will be completing the CL and EL campaigns for 2019/20, with the finals to go ahead in August.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Going by separate articles on BBC.

1. The PL season will be completed on a free to air TV basis. That’s shirley not economically sustainable for seasons 2020/21 and 2021/22 on behind closed doors football.

2. UEFA will be completing the CL and EL campaigns for 2019/20, with the finals to go ahead in August.

I appreciate that they have to pretend that football will take place again in the foreseeable future and pretend to plan accordingly but that's all it is - a pretence.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I'm guessing that 'behind the scenes' all clubs must be contemplating the likelihood that if there is a next season, that it will be played to empty stadiums and trying to plan or mitigate accordingly.

Reading the chief medical officer Chris Whitty's comments this morning in the paper and the suggestion that social distancing will need to continue until at least the end of the year (or until a vaccine is found), can football even contemplate resuming even behind closed doors? I know there has been some suggestion that all players will be tested but is that practical, and the tests are not totally full proof either with many showing false negatives or being asymptomatic?

Maybe we just have to accept that football amongst many of the sports or events we love might have to take a sabbatical and try to resume for season 2021/22?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Tv broadcasters aren’t going to pay anywhere near the same amount for behind closed door football

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
If you weren't looking at the commercial or competition elements of the Premier League you wouldn't play the rest of the season on sound medical grounds, so why do those first two elements change that when thousands have died due to the medical element?

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
If you weren't looking at the commercial or competition elements of the Premier League you wouldn't play the rest of the season on sound medical grounds, so why do those first two elements change that when thousands have died due to the medical element?

This. And because the PL/FA are selfish, self-centered, money-grabbing, fat-cat, heads-in-the-sand cretins.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
August 2021 or 2022 for a clean start, is a real possibility for the next attended PL matches. Bearing in mind that covid-19 is likely to return in waves.

How would NSC’ers cope without Amex matches for a season or two?

I suggested a few weeks ago that there is little chance of 70+ supporters being allowed into the Amex next season, and perhaps not until 2022, and no one seemed that bothered. Surprised me.

(I imagine almost all supporters in that age group are STHs - clearly they would be offered a refund but it might be nice if the they were allowed to keep their payments going but nominate a named individual to keep their seat warm.)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here