Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League clubs vote against ban on player loans from same ownership group

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Happy that we didn't join them, assuming that is true. Piss poor from Sheff Utd and Forest though.
Forest owner owns Olympiakos and is very fond of ‘balancing’ his spending with business between the two.

Sheff Utd are owned by Saudis, and will have been told to do what their masters instructed

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
This is about loans, not purchases. PIF could buy loads of players in Saudi and then loan them all to Newcastle bypassing FFP rules etc.
There is normally a fee involved in loans not to mention other things like wage contributions. They could easily get other bids to show the market value of the loan.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
There is normally a fee involved in loans not to mention other things like wage contributions. They could easily get other bids to show the market value of the loan.

But clubs outside of the Premier League would be under no obligation to provide any of that information.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
But clubs outside of the Premier League would be under no obligation to provide any of that information.
But it could easily be a prerequisite for loaning to a premier league club. Don't provide the information and you can't loan to a premier league team, simple. There are simple solutions but that would actually stop certain clubs taking advantage of things.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
But it could easily be a prerequisite for loaning to a premier league club. Don't provide the information and you can't loan to a premier league team, simple. There are simple solutions but that would actually stop certain clubs taking advantage of things.

It’s totally unenforceable (for a start why would say a German club want their bid for a loan player shared with the Premier League, these bids would have to be verifiable or there is no point in doing it). Even then for it to be a pre-requisite PL clubs would have to vote it in. Why do you think that vote would go any differently to the vote putting a temporary ban on loan movements between clubs within the same ownership structure.

Things like this will never get voted in until such times as there is independent control and regulation of the Premier League taking the vote on changes away from the clubs and that change won’t happen overnight.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
It’s totally unenforceable (for a start why would say a German club want their bid for a loan player shared with the Premier League, these bids would have to be verifiable or there is no point in doing it). Even then for it to be a pre-requisite PL clubs would have to vote it in. Why do you think that vote would go any differently to the vote putting a temporary ban on loan movements between clubs within the same ownership structure.

Things like this will never get voted in until such times as there is independent control and regulation of the Premier League taking the vote on changes away from the clubs and that change won’t happen overnight.
It's would work the exact same way you would for processing a sole source or open bid purchase for any item.
I did address you other point: simple solutions won't be implemented all the time it allows the big clubs to have their own way.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'm confused by Everton voting for it.

They've been moaning about how unfair their points deduction was for breaking FFP and have complained about how nothing has happened to Man City and Chelsea. Then they go and vote for something that will allow those clubs to break FFP with impunity. Seems strange to me.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
I'm confused by Everton voting for it.

They've been moaning about how unfair their points deduction was for breaking FFP and have complained about how nothing has happened to Man City and Chelsea. Then they go and vote for something that will allow those clubs to break FFP with impunity. Seems strange to me.
They are about to be taken over by 777, if it does go ahead, and they own a number of clubs worldwide such as Standard Liege, Hertha, a team in Brazil, Italy, etc. this ruling will suit them in the future.

Independent regulation can’t come soon enough.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Such a depressing list of teams that voted for this. Self preservation rather than what is good for the majority, but guess that is what the premier league is all about

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
This is a really, really depressing outcome. All sorts of shenanigans now possible for the Saudis and others. The only hope is that a few of those that voted against the ban (eg: Sheff Utd, Everton ) get relegated, and the vote is held again next year.
The Athletic noted that the meeting was held in a hotel owned by the Qataris. Another rather depressing commentary on Britain today, I think.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
This is a really, really depressing outcome. All sorts of shenanigans now possible for the Saudis and others. The only hope is that a few of those that voted against the ban (eg: Sheff Utd, Everton ) get relegated, and the vote is held again next year.
The Athletic noted that the meeting was held in a hotel owned by the Qataris. Another rather depressing commentary on Britain today, I think.

I don't think it will be that simple. Leicesters owners own a club in Belgium, in fact they share a chairman. Ipswich board members have an interest in a minor league US club. Southampton's owners also have clubs in France and Turkey. Sunderlands majority shareholder has a minority stake in Marseille. Their other owner has sits on the board and is Vice Chairman of AS Monaco.

Multiple ownership is becoming more and more common, all the time the clubs hold the power under the Premier League charter I cannot see this being voted through because clubs will want the ability to loan players within their ownership circle, some for fair means, some for foul. It seems as though Tony Bloom is one of the few with the integrity to put the good of fair sporting competition above his own clubs interests.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Hopefully Neves scores a couple of worldies against Everton, Forest and Sheffield United.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Sheffield United is the one in there that really stands out. No benefit to them as a club at all as far as I'm aware, so a blatant move by the Saudis to help Newcastle. It's not corrupt but it still stinks. This could become a key moment in the argument for an independent regulator - which shouldn't really be needed but the Premier League can no longer protect its own product.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Sheffield United is the one in there that really stands out. No benefit to them as a club at all as far as I'm aware, so a blatant move by the Saudis to help Newcastle. It's not corrupt but it still stinks. This could become a key moment in the argument for an independent regulator - which shouldn't really be needed but the Premier League can no longer protect its own product.
This was news to me to when this story broke...

"Owned by former sports minister Saudi Prince Abdullah bin Musaid Al Saud"​
Sheffield United fans must be fuming they got the shit Saudi owner.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here