Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League clubs in 'moral vacuum' and players should sacrifice salary

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Some serious money will be saved by elite players and top flight managers.

Except a spending spree when life’s back to normal. Good news for Rolex, top Vegas and Dubai hotels, Bentley cars and collagen groupies.

So much to say eh ?? Usually calling me out for being a 'racist' but absolutely f all to say when for ya 'white van mate and subbies' post.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
What we dont know is what the players are discussing in their ‘WhatApp’ groups etc etc ...i don't believe they are all heartless souls ...so perhaps wait and not sit in judgement....of course in situations such as Tottenham and say Newcastle the clubs intentions are out in the open and i for one wouldnt defend them..but perhaps lets wait and see what acts of kindness come out in the next couple of weeks before we tar all with the same brush

Didn’t take the Barca players that long to offer to take a 70% cut.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Didn’t take the Barca players that long to offer to take a 70% cut.

Lots of players give money to various causes...some publicised some not ....Perhaps the response re the Barca players and Juve for that matter has happened quicker due to events unfolding faster in those countries ...who knows.

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
While some players may quietly be helping it is highly unlikely that most are doing so. It is also high time that the PFA stepped up the plate.

The clubs in the Premier League need to show some ethical leadership

Chris Sutton called this right last night on the radio

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Have not read all of thread but it is immoral for Norwich Tottenham etc to expect taxpayer to pay non playing staff when other staff are earning thousands a week. I will be surprised if government allow this to continue.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Tend to agree. There are plenty of footballers that do a lot for charity but under the radar. Some may already be giving huge chunks to help their local community.

Have any PL or Championship 1st team squad lost their jobs yet or been furloughed? How many non playing staff have?

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
British Airways have trumped the lot with 36,000 staff on furlough. £2bn profits in their last accounts, probably won’t match that this year however.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So a Tory MP completely ignores one of the wealthiest men in the world, living in a Bahamas tax exile, while he shats on 550 people expecting tax payers to pick up the shortfall and the response on here is:-

BRAVO.

Couldn't make it up.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
The only way out of this short term is massive government spending. And large parts of our economy likely moving out of private and into public ownership (housing, transport, maybe others).

After that we'll need to find ways to rebalance (you can call it 'paying the bill' but I don't think that is strictly correct).

I can see no other alternative to a very large, one-off, wealth tax + long term increase of taxation on wealth and significant income tax rises for those that are still doing well (not 'well' relative to what they are used to, but 'well' relative to everyone else). And some form of excess profits tax for those large companies and individuals that have done well out of this.

People will undoubtedly say 'that's not going to happen', not realistic etc. But so much is already happening that you would have said that about. I can see no other course of action that will not either tank the economy or be political suicide (eg trying to return to austerity). You want to tell me the above won't happen? Then tell me what the alternative will be. Because I can't see it.

So yes, wealthy footballers are going to help pay for this. But it can't, in the longer term, be voluntary.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
One positive to hopefully emerge from all this madness is that football will have to press the reset button from top to bottom.

Three years from now, regardless of whether we are in the top flight, domestic football will be a different animal, the big wage earners will have gone, the TV money will be a fraction of what is now, and whilst we sadly all wont kick off at 3pm on a Saturday things will be a lot more healthy for the beautiful game all round.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Norwich playing staff have come up with £200k between them to give to the non-playing staff. Good gesture.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
British Airways have trumped the lot with 36,000 staff on furlough. £2bn profits in their last accounts, probably won’t match that this year however.
Can't they redeploy the aircraft staff to their call centres to process the backlog of customer issues ?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
If obscenely paid football players show zero compassion or will to take pay cuts they will totally alienate themselves from normal society and their own fans.

Completely this. I think we are generally lucky to have players that on the whole try to be in touch with fans and don't generally act like they are better than us, however there is no getting away from the fact that it would be morally wrong to expect hard working non playing staff take a cut in wages whilst they swan around on their massive salaries. They should take a cut to enable those less fortunate to carry on.

*I appreciate that we have already said we are continuing to cover non playing staff wages but that is out of Tony Bloom's pocket. Why should he keep doing that when the players could do it with an approximate 25% wages cut for a period time?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The only way out of this short term is massive government spending. And large parts of our economy likely moving out of private and into public ownership (housing, transport, maybe others).

After that we'll need to find ways to rebalance (you can call it 'paying the bill' but I don't think that is strictly correct).

I can see no other alternative to a very large, one-off, wealth tax + long term increase of taxation on wealth and significant income tax rises for those that are still doing well (not 'well' relative to what they are used to, but 'well' relative to everyone else). And some form of excess profits tax for those large companies and individuals that have done well out of this.

People will undoubtedly say 'that's not going to happen', not realistic etc. But so much is already happening that you would have said that about. I can see no other course of action that will not either tank the economy or be political suicide (eg trying to return to austerity). You want to tell me the above won't happen? Then tell me what the alternative will be. Because I can't see it.

So yes, wealthy footballers are going to help pay for this. But it can't, in the longer term, be voluntary.

Yes.

Turbo Corbynism, introduced and overseen by the tories. And rolled out across the world (except in Russia and USA, possibly, and if so, to their grevious detriment).

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
So a Tory MP completely ignores one of the wealthiest men in the world, living in a Bahamas tax exile, while he shats on 550 people expecting tax payers to pick up the shortfall and the response on here is:-

BRAVO.

Couldn't make it up.

Right you dull, sanctimonious smartarse, it goes like this. Levy/Levi, whatever, does not need a public persona, or anyone to like him, ho could walk away tomorrow and say ‘fxxk you all’. He really does not need to care.

THFC meanwhile need to retain the support of their fan base, because if they go tits up their chairman does not need to care. The first team at WHL also need to retain the goodwill of their fan base, because if they do not then the club might go tits up, Levy/Levi may not care, the players are all out on their ear in what maybe the new post Covid-19 people could not give a shit about sport stars world.

Football sucks money in like oxygen because fans idolise their heroes, when fans stop idolising the oxygen runs out.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Good to see Alireza sending some of his wages to rural Iran to help them in their fight against Covid-19.

I reckon there are many, many more cases of similar, all little publicised.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Never found it easy to accept that a player can earn 400k (i know the average is probably 50k in PL) and the lack of overt and open action by players (i know some have done stuff) to redistribute some wealth without prompting shows what a corrupt place we are in. Bravo Juventus and Barcelona .

Footballers are only probably the most obvious target there are plenty of others who are milking society for everything while the vast majority are just working to make ends meet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here