Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League club values

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Burnley are in my opinion (others are of course available) the best run club financially in the Premier League and the valuation reflects that. Gut reaction is that they should be lower in the table but they make money each year, keep wages low and have a strong balance sheet...and they do it year in year out.

I get that but what about the asset value? I would've thought you could buy the whole town of Burnley for £7.50 in Luncheon Vouchers and a empty twix packet? Whereas ours? is our freehold owned by TB or does he lease the land from the Uni's? I guess that would have some impact on our valuation which seems low to me (Uneducated guesswork valuation)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I get that but what about the asset value? I would've thought you could buy the whole town of Burnley for £7.50 in Luncheon Vouchers and a empty twix packet? Whereas ours? is our freehold owned by TB or does he lease the land from the Uni's? I guess that would have some impact on our valuation which seems low to me (Uneducated guesswork valuation)

You mean does the Amex land have an intrinsic value that in the future it could be sold and turned into a commercial business park with some mediocre retail outlets on it?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What shenanigans have us so low in that list? I am shocked we are worth so little against other clubs. Tinpot Albion :down:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Hi LLJ

There's two player costs in the profit and loss account.

Registration cost (paid to the previous employer) which is as you correctly point out, spread over the contract period as an amortisation cost. The club can of course sell the player registration at a profit at a future date so that is why it's an asset.

Wage cost which is a monthly expense like rent, insurance etc.

Yeah I'm just trying to get my head round the fact that the asset can leave if it doesn't get maintenance costs that are higher that it's original value.

I do get it from an accountancy point of view, but from a logic point of view, not so much. :lolol:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You mean does the Amex land have an intrinsic value that in the future it could be sold and turned into a commercial business park with some mediocre retail outlets on it?

Not the Falmer site, but Monks Farm has been sold/leased? for commercial use and building houses. I think it is owned by the club rather than Tony Bloom personally

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
If anyone is interested I've put out a report on club values, Albion came in 18th at £187 million using the MMM formula.

The short version

View attachment 122925

The long version

http://priceoffootball.com/2728-2/

Two clubs, Newcastle United (owned by a FCW) and Crystal Palace (small club) have been valued on the basis of their 2018 accounts as they have taken advantage of an allowance by the Chancellor to delay publishing their accounts.

I'm suprised Watford has a higher value than the Albion.
Pray tell :thumbsup:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's more to do with Burnley's ability to generate profits every year, relatively high season finishes (which generates extra prize money) compared to their wage bill and having little debt on the balance sheet.

We went round this particular block last time, and whilst I agree with the sentiment on Burnley's excellent operating model, I still don't think that would translate to Burnley attracting a higher value on the open market than many of the clubs you rank below them.

Maybe that's not the interpretation of "value" that I should be taking here.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
We went round this particular block last time, and whilst I agree with the sentiment on Burnley's excellent operating model, I still don't think that would translate to Burnley attracting a higher value on the open market than many of the clubs you rank below them.

Intuitively I'm with you 100%.

The model is based on the business model of the club. Burnley's is to make a profit every year and they deliver on that. The Albion's model is to keep losses to a reasonable level until the investment in the academy and training facilities starts to pay dividends in terms of transfer fees in (having to pay fewer as using academy step ups) and out (selling players at profits, which are fairly low by PL standards).

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

You could always direct the other PL clubs to purchase players through the Amazon link on NSC, so the forum could benefit from selling on profits :D

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Wonder if it would be useful is [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] could, if he is able/allowed, to post the actual calcs for each club. It would certainly be interesting to pick through how the differences come about.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Wonder if it would be useful is [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] could, if he is able/allowed, to post the actual calcs for each club. It would certainly be interesting to pick through how the differences come about.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Everton lost over £100 million in 2018/19, which explains their relatively low position in the table.

View attachment 122926

Moshiri may be wealthy, but boy Everton have been badly run. £485m spent in transfer fees alone in his tenure (seen mentioned on the website grandoldteam), which puts them in the same ball park as Liverpool and Chelsea. Yet a million miles away from a trophy or CL place.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Moshiri may be wealthy, but boy Everton have been badly run. £485m spent in transfer fees alone in his tenure (seen mentioned on the website grandoldteam), which puts them in the same ball park as Liverpool and Chelsea. Yet a million miles away from a trophy or CL place.

Just as well Everton are funded by someone wealthier than Moshiri ???

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Would be useful, as the Albion are owned by TB as a single entity, whereas Watford are owned by the Pozzo family circus together with Udinese and Granada.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

This is the formula used, it's broadly based on the PhD paper of Doctor Tom Markham, who is the guy in charge as SI Games, creators of the marvelous waste of time that is Football Manager.

It's not perfect, but was 99.9% accurate in the Arsenal buyout by Kroenke when to acquired Usmanov's shares a couple of years ago. In an ideal world I'd use it alongside DCF and EBIT(DA) multiples too, but don't have enough time unfortunately to do it for all clubs.

MMM Formula.jpg

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Isn't the land at Falmer still owned mostly by the council and rented to the club at £1 for 99 years ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This is the formula used, it's broadly based on the PhD paper of Doctor Tom Markham, who is the guy in charge as SI Games, creators of the marvelous waste of time that is Football Manager.

It's not perfect, but was 99.9% accurate in the Arsenal buyout by Kroenke when to acquired Usmanov's shares a couple of years ago. In an ideal world I'd use it alongside DCF and EBIT(DA) multiples too, but don't have enough time unfortunately to do it for all clubs.

View attachment 122928

Yeah, sorry - I know the formula from when this has been discussed before. I meant the specific calcs, ie real numbers instead of letters, club by club. It would enable the "why is club X worth more than Y?" to be self-answered.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Yeah, sorry - I know the formula from when this has been discussed before. I meant the specific calcs, ie real numbers instead of letters, club by club. It would enable the "why is club X worth more than Y?" to be self-answered.

Will see what I can do, will take a bit of time as the table is collated from individual worksheets on clubs. If I get a chance might upload my full spreadsheet onto Google Docs so people can pick up individual numbers and point out that my Excel skills are frankly shit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here