Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League admit VAR made a MISTAKE in awarding Brighton a last-minute penalty

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think it is the death knell of football if a player looking up at the flight of the ball treads on a forwards foot and gets a penalty awarded against him. It wasn’t deliberate and in F1 parlance “it’s just a racing (football) incident” and should not be punished. If he’d had a glance down and made a deliberate movement to stand on Connolly’s foot then sure, nailed on penalty. (I totally accept that the laws of the game may say different, but they shouldn’t :smile:]

As an Albion fan I thought it was an outrageous penalty although I was absolutely delighted it was given, just very very suprised

I go to plenty of games and this sort of thing doesn't happen that often. You make it sound like it's a frequent occurrence.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I go to plenty of games and this sort of thing doesn't happen that often. You make it sound like it's a frequent occurrence.

Not just the Connolly penalty but a hand further forward than the defending player is offside, fecking ridiculous. I think VAR should be changed to only over ruling the ref or lino if there is a very clear error. Neither the Connolly or a few of the offside decisions have been clear errors...imo

The VAR controversy has happened frequently on the games I’ve watched this season. The Burn offsides etc, no problem but the tiny tiny errors that have led to decisions being over ruled is really bad for the game...imo

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Connolly knew he had been fouled and I think he knew exactly how VAR worked which is why he stayed down. I don't think he appealed to the ref, but stayed down to give sufficient time for the VAR assistant to have a look and tell the ref to hold up play for a review.
Yeah he knew he'd been fouled and presumably thought they'd look at it.

As I understand it, If he had immediately jumped up and the game had re-started it couldn't have been reviewed.
I don't think that's right. Of course if he'd just jumped up and carried on playing, that would have encouraged VAR to let it go. Staying down probably helped convince them that the contact wasn't light. But if VAR does decide something is a penalty, I don't think they ignore it just because the ref has allowed the game to continue (eg, a goal kick taken).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think it is the death knell of football if a player looking up at the flight of the ball treads on a forwards foot and gets a penalty awarded against him. It wasn’t deliberate and in F1 parlance “it’s just a racing (football) incident” and should not be punished.
I'm not particularly sure you're wrong, but since when has it mattered whether a foul was deliberate or not?

If he’d had a glance down and made a deliberate movement to stand on Connolly’s foot then sure, nailed on penalty. (I totally accept that the laws of the game may say different, but they shouldn’t :smile:]
Well yes. But if we decide that accidental fouls are no longer fouls, how will that affect the rest of the game?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Connolly knew he had been fouled and I think he knew exactly how VAR worked which is why he stayed down. I don't think he appealed to the ref, but stayed down to give sufficient time for the VAR assistant to have a look and tell the ref to hold up play for a review.

As I understand it, If he had immediately jumped up and the game had re-started it couldn't have been reviewed.

They review everything that might be a penalty or a red card - two people coming together in the penalty area and one going down will be always be reviewed. If they are checking something while the ball is out of play, the game has to wait for them to complete the check before it can continue (if the ball is in play, the check will go on in the background). Connolly staying down had no impact on that process.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Yeah he knew he'd been fouled and presumably thought they'd look at it.

I don't think that's right. Of course if he'd just jumped up and carried on playing, that would have encouraged VAR to let it go. Staying down probably helped convince them that the contact wasn't light. But if VAR does decide something is a penalty, I don't think they ignore it just because the ref has allowed the game to continue (eg, a goal kick taken).

I don't know for sure, but got it from here

Is there a time limit on decisions using VAR?
Not as such, but VAR cannot be used for an incident once play has restarted after being stopped. So if a VAR fails to spot and flag up something prior to a free-kick, goal-kick, throw-in, corner-kick etc, it is too late. Goals can also only be disallowed using VAR if something is amiss in the attacking move which leads to it being scored, not during the longer build-up period.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-cup/0/var-rules-used-fifa-world-cup-2018-russia/

*edit* But seeing [MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION] post above, I really don't know now :mad:

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Not as such, but VAR cannot be used for an incident once play has restarted after being stopped. So if a VAR fails to spot and flag up something prior to a free-kick, goal-kick, throw-in, corner-kick etc, it is too late.
Oh wow. So when defenders think someone has dived, don't argue, just get the ****ing ball to the keeper, and take a quick goal-kick.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Oh wow. So when defenders think someone has dived, don't argue, just get the ****ing ball to the keeper, and take a quick goal-kick.

I've seen refs hold up a restart when they 'think' there may be something for VAR to look at, but Connolly against Everton I don't think the ref 'saw' anything.

The fact is that I really don't know and am awaiting someone more qualified to quote the relevant rules, as I'm assuming (maybe wrongly) that telegraph article is based on something :wink:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Not as such, but VAR cannot be used for an incident once play has restarted after being stopped. So if a VAR fails to spot and flag up something prior to a free-kick, goal-kick, throw-in, corner-kick etc, it is too late. Goals can also only be disallowed using VAR if something is amiss in the attacking move which leads to it being scored, not during the longer build-up period.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-cup/0/var-rules-used-fifa-world-cup-2018-russia/

*edit* But seeing [MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION] post above, I really don't know now :mad:

I don't think we're really disagreeing. I think what I'm saying is that incidents such as Connolly's should always be reviewed (regardless of the how long the player stays down) and once the VAR starts reviewing he'll tell the ref and the ref will tell the keeper to wait (and if the keeper tries to rush the goal kick the ref will call it back like he would any set piece when he wants to have a word with a player or book them before play continues). I wouldn't be surprised for there to eventually be an incident that is less subtle, and not immediately thought of as reviewable so the game continues and they realise it should have been reviewed. This proviso being there for an "what happens if...?" scenario.

Regarding rushing goal kicks to avoid VAR, for this incident another thing to consider is that in Everton's position at the time 2-1 up when you've struggled for results away from home (and just generally in the league) the goal kick is prime time wasting opportunity, so it would be dangerous to rush it - all your players will be expecting time wasting and a rushed goal kick would risk lost possession and momentum

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
There have been loads of occasions where one player has accidentally stood on another player's foot/ankle, and a foul has been given. No one has ever complained about it. I'm confident that studs pushed into the top of your foot is painful, and causes players to go down. I don't know where you get the idea that that's soft (as a foul) and not given in the past.

Agree mate. And those saying Connolly was making a meal of it, probably have never put on a pair of football boots which weigh little more than ballet shoes and had the side of their foot stood on by some 14 and half stone centre back

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Still lots of blue and white striped specs on here then.

That penalty was an absolute gift. Nobody in the stadium was howling for a spot kick, it was the softest of softest pens you will ever see all season. Any season. If that had been given against us (say Dunk on Richarlison), and it had cost us the game, this place would've gone absolutely apeshit.

Nope. Even if we're accepting that whether it's a penalty should be decided by the strength of fan reaction, which we're clearly not, there was no great appeal because the eyes (of fans, players and ref) were drawn to the competition for the ball at head height.

Keane trod on Connolly's foot and this stopped him competing for the ball. That Keane surely didn't mean to do this is as irrelevant if i've tried to tackle, you, mistimed it and hacked you down in the box.

A clear pen.

I'm surprised we got it overturned though.

Nov 5, 2019
If Prem League have said it was a mistake then there's a bunch of others they should be saying that about before the Brighton pen because others have been more dubious.
For me it was a pen.He stood on him.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Nope. Even if we're accepting that whether it's a penalty should be decided by the strength of fan reaction, which we're clearly not, there was no great appeal because the eyes (of fans, players and ref) were drawn to the competition for the ball at head height.

Keane trod on Connolly's foot and this stopped him competing for the ball. That Keane surely didn't mean to do this is as irrelevant if i've tried to tackle, you, mistimed it and hacked you down in the box.

A clear pen.

I'm surprised we got it overturned though.

OK champ.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Looking forward to VAR completely trashing the Premier League media-love in that is Liverpool vs. Man City this Sunday. Hopefully that will be it's death knell.

Wishful thinking sadly. As a staunch opposer of VAR it would be great to see this big game ruined by some farcical VAR decisions. However, are they really going to have the balls to admit that's it a complete disaster ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here