[Albion] Premier League 30/9 - 3/10/23

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Wow. Really ? I was just going on what another poster said. That begs the question were they actually watching the game in the subsequent minutes. So when they did realise they just stuck their fingers in their ears and hoped it would go away. Our game basically has a machine that lacks operators able to use it and yet we persist with it.
Once the game restarts they are powerless to do anything. Ref can only reverse his decision if play hasn't restarted (this covers things like red cards etc too).

I can't find the tweet right now but I read something about the ref gets a look on his face about 30 seconds after the restart that says "oh shit we've f***ed this up" but knows there is nothing he can do about it.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
In some of the VAR footage released there is more or less constant dialogue between the field and off field officials.

I really hope they release that audio.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Once the game restarts they are powerless to do anything. Ref can only reverse his decision if play hasn't restarted (this covers things like red cards etc too).
I understand that, I just find it odd that the VAR didn't see the spurs players in the Liverpool half and the ball being placed midway in Spurs own half for the restart and say "Hang on, why aren't they lining up for a kick off?!"

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I wonder if the PL have looked into importing refs?

It won't be cheap, but it could improve the standard

Not sure the standard elsewhere is that much better tbh

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

What’s the evidence that it is any better elsewhere ? This is about VAR rather than refs. Pre VAR we managed for decades with on field mistakes. That isn’t acceptable when we have a perfection promising machine.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I understand that, I just find it odd that the VAR didn't see the spurs players in the Liverpool half and the ball being placed midway in Spurs own half for the restart and say "Hang on, why aren't they lining up for a kick off?!"
It's just bizarre, isn't it?

Did they just say "yep - good goal" and nip off to put the kettle on whilst they thought the goal celebration etc played out?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Jared Gillett has come over from the A-League to ref in the Premier League so it is possible.

It's just bizarre, isn't it?

Did they just say "yep - good goal" and nip off to put the kettle on whilst they thought the goal celebration etc played out?
When you actually start to scrutinse everything it seems impossible that someone didn't actually notice.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
The FA have to do something. The amount of really good refs i see at park level gives me hope. What takes away that hope is most of them will probably quit soon due to the abuse they get. I think abuse given to refs should result in more misconduct reports, with more than 2 a year going on to their DBS record.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Jared Gillett has come over from the A-League to ref in the Premier League so it is possible.

When you actually start to scrutinse everything it seems impossible that someone didn't actually notice.
Ish.

He moved to England to take up a research position at Liverpool John Moores University. As a top FIFA ref, he was able to ref in the Football League and then, subsequently, the Premier League.

So, he didn't move to England specifically to referee, he was a referee who happened to move to England.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
That's my take too. These decisions aren't made unilaterally and instantly, they talk before, during and after and the examples I've seen they use phrases like 'on field decision'.

It's very bizzare imo.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I have never been in favour of using ex players for the VAR but I am coming round to the idea. At least it would stop refs mates making decisions that don’t embarrass the game officials. Yesterdays was pure incompetence though so maybe it wouldn't have helped in the Spurs game.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
VAR is poor in other counties, just isn't reported as much

VAR in the World Cup was laughable, not sure it was great in the Euros?

But if you have a higher standard of refs you wouldn't need it so much?
True, but you can’t magic that. If we start from a position of respecting the on field officials we have a better chance of improving refereeing performance. I know that if someone told me I was crap at my job the whole time I wouldn’t bother.
If there is a machine that gets decisions right the whole time and comes with operators who can operate it (or doesn’t need them) then by all means introduce it. Introducing this system without these attributes is:was completely inept.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports