[Albion] Premier League 30/9 - 3/10/23

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I didn’t watch all the Liverpool Spurs one but understand there were a couple of mistakes - maybe one mistake. Liverpool issue a statement above etc. Brighton got by far the worst decisions last season - one in a derby the same as Liverpool. They didn’t get anywhere near the attention and uproar of this one. Funny that…?
But, on the bright side, didn't we get more PGMOL apologies than Liverpool?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
A Liverpool statement issued on Sunday evening read: "Liverpool Football Club acknowledges PGMOL's admission of their failures last night. It is clear that the correct application of the laws of the game did not occur, resulting in sporting integrity being undermined.
"We fully accept the pressures that match officials work under but these pressures are supposed to be alleviated, not exacerbated, by the existence and implementation of VAR.

"It is therefore unsatisfactory that sufficient time was not afforded to allow the correct decision to be made and that there was no subsequent intervention.

"That such failings have already been categorised as "significant human error" is also unacceptable. Any and all outcomes should be established only by the review and with full transparency.

"This is vital for the reliability of future decision making as it applies to all clubs with learnings being used to make improvements to processes in order to ensure this kind of situation cannot occur again.

More on this story​

"In the meantime, we will explore the range of options available, given the clear need for escalation and resolution."

Clubs need to work together if they want change, they won't of course.

Range of options? Suck it up like everyone else has to with awful calls.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I didn’t watch all the Liverpool Spurs one but understand there were a couple of mistakes - maybe one mistake. Liverpool issue a statement above etc. Brighton got by far the worst decisions last season - one in a derby the same as Liverpool. They didn’t get anywhere near the attention and uproar of this one. Funny that…?

Hmmm... the Spurs v Brighton debacle got loads of coverage.

Also, the match yesterday was live on TV around the world, so higher profile.

(Oh, and Barber sucked up to PGMOL after their apology - whereas Liverpool are pushing further)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
But, on the bright side, didn't we get more PGMOL apologies than Liverpool?
I think we got 3 and a handful got 1. Hence what I wrote was fact!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

(Oh, and Barber sucked up to PGMOL after their apology - whereas Liverpool are pushing further)
Yes as the Spurs one was literally 5 debatable decisions. The parallel to yesterday was the palace one I believe. Maybe we acted with more class and dignity…?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Yes as the Spurs one was literally 5 debatable decisions. The parallel to yesterday was the palace one I believe. Maybe we acted with more class and dignity…?
Several debatable decisions at Spurs, but ONE which PGMOL later apologised for (Mitoma should have got penalty).

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Several debatable decisions at Spurs, but ONE which PGMOL later apologised for (Mitoma should have got penalty).
So you’re saying you think Liverpools one has been mentioned and talked about the same as our game with Spurs?

JackB247

Sep 25, 2013
Burgess Hill
Clubs need to work together if they want change, they won't of course.

Range of options? Suck it up like everyone else has to with awful calls.
Screams we're Liverpool and therefore we expect to be treated differently that statement.

Hard to understand what those options actually are tbh, would be interested to find out - request a replay? What a can of worms! - but suspect they'll just ending up taking the Howard Webb apology and moving on.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
They should just stick the replays up on the big screen, let the ref and his assistants watch them, and they make a decision. The VAR room should be nothing more than a video operator, let the refs ref their game and let the fans see what is being reviewed

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Rewriting of history above.

Our emphatic win at WHL, stolen by incompetence over and over again, got huge national coverage at the time and for a couple of weeks or more afterwards. Rightly debated to death on R5 and TS.

Why are we now pretending that VAR got away with little interest because we're just Brighton?

This is a silly contrived argument of wronged club against wronged club. All focus needs to remain on the idiots making these huge blunders.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

I was very disappointed that PBOBE didn't go after PGMOL publicly after the apology in the Spurs game. Supposedly the club asked for explanations of the other 4 awful decisions in the match but nothing was ever made public.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
No argument from me. I only meant that the VAR in the Palace game subjectively drew the lines in the wrong place, because it isn’t science. He made a mistake based on where he thought the lines should go. Yesterday’s was different in that VAR didn’t know what he was checking. Seems he thought he was confirming it was onside whereas the ref thought he was confirming it was offside. That’s a new one and not a Liverpool conspiracy.
Ah, got you. I wasn't suggesting there was a Liverpool conspiracy so much as that there was so much noise around this one because Liverpool are such a big club in the same way that if it happened against Man Utd there'd be a huge amount of noise.

It's a shame that it takes one of the big boys to be bent over by the incompentence of VAR to generate this much outrage.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Rewriting of history above.

Our emphatic win at WHL, stolen by incompetence over and over again, got huge national coverage at the time and for a couple of weeks or more afterwards. Rightly debated to death on R5 and TS.

Why are we now pretending that VAR got away with little interest because we're just Brighton?

This is a silly contrived argument of wronged club against wronged club. All focus needs to remain on the idiots making these huge blunders.
This was my question earlier in the thread. Did the Palace VAR debacle generate this much noise as to my mind that was as big if not bigger an error as the Liverpool one.

I don't live in the u.k so don't have access to all u.k media. However, this has been a talking point wherever I turn so far, more so than for the Albion, hence my question.

My point is/was not anti Liverpool more that(if there is more noise around this decision) why does it take a big club getting shafted before it becomes a major issue?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This was my question earlier in the thread. Did the Palace VAR debacle generate this much noise as to my mind that was as big if not bigger an error as the Liverpool one.

I don't live in the u.k so don't have access to all u.k media. However, this has been a talking point wherever I turn so far, more so than for the Albion, hence my question.

My point is/was not anti Liverpool more that(if there is more noise around this decision) why does it take a big club getting shafted before it becomes a major issue?

We must be a big club then, because there was a huge furore/coverage over our robbed big win at WHL 🙂.

And as someone said above, glaring VAR mistakes that altered a game on live TV, get far more coverage.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
They should just stick the replays up on the big screen, let the ref and his assistants watch them, and they make a decision. The VAR room should be nothing more than a video operator, let the refs ref their game and let the fans see what is being reviewed
Can't as ironically Liverpool and United (Luton?) don't have big screens, needs to be the same.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
We must be a big club then, because there was a huge furore/coverage over our robbed big win at WHL 🙂.

And as someone said above, glaring VAR mistakes that altered a game on live TV, get far more coverage.

I honestly don't recall the same levels as this one, I may have missed it as not on social media as often as some, but I don't recall supposed unbiased journalists having a pop at Spurs for not scoring an OG or offering a replay after

Same as Fulham / Wolves earlier this season

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports