Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League 25-27/11/23

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
You can tell the winger made a complete meal of the contact, by diving/falling so far away from the initial contact.

If the contact was strong enough to trip him, it would have been a more natural fall closer to the incident.

He’s ended up yards away when the contact was so minimal.

The ref had a fantastic view and called it absolutely right; VAR once again ruining football.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Two dodgy penalties have given Fulham the win. Cairney dives for the first, and the ref’s bought it. No clear and obvious in VAR’s mind, and it stands.

In the last incident, Wilson has run into the unsighted defender’s leg and tumbled - he’s initiated contact. No pen awarded, but VAR intervenes and penalty is eventually awarded after monitor check. Shite decision, because in no way is that a clear and obvious error.

I’m really starting to dislike Fulham, which is weird because they’ve always been a “meh” club for me. And VAR + PL officiating is a steaming pile.

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
The power needs to be given back to the onfield ref. ‘Yeah thanks, seen the replay, still not a pen’. Equivalent of ‘umpires call’ in cricket. The onfield refs are avoiding making decisions because they know Mr Magoo is watching it on the telly.
The onfield ref does have that power though but often chooses not to use it, instead backing up the VAR opinion.

As you say, onfield refs need to start standing by their decisions and stick by their initial decision

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The onfield ref does have that power though but often chooses not to use it, instead backing up the VAR opinion.

As you say, onfield refs need to start standing by their decisions and stick by their initial decision
The problem is that the VAR officials have had some time and a quiet location to look at a decision before deciding to suggest to the ref that they have made a clear and obvious error. Is the ref then supposed to take as long again going through it, in a noisy and hostile atmosphere, and then say 'no I haven't you idiots'? The ref should be able to trust that the VAR officials know what they're doing, so it makes sense for them to accept their decisions being overturned.

The problem is the VAR officials in the first place. They're the ones with time and good conditions to make correct decisions, and they should get it right. Given that they don't have to be perfect, they only need to correct clear and obvious errors, it's difficult to understand why they're so bad at it.

Last edited:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Feel bad for Wolves I’ve seen them on the end of some truly atrocious decisions this season, Luton away, Liverpool at home, this one and there was another one as well… they are being robbed every week.

Easy to live in your own club bubble but I’ve never seen a run of VAR decisions like they’ve had, some horrendous officiating

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Still maintain that PGMOL made one basic error which has lead to all the rest of the bollox. VAR was meant to eradicate 'Clear and obvious ERRORS'. PGMOL ignored the word 'errors'.

Yes, it might be obvious after two or three minutes, drawing imaginary lines and viewing numerous stills that X's toenail or forelock or dewdrop on the end of his nose was off-side - but if the on-field ref. and linesmen (they're generally not fit to be called assistant referees these days) gave it as on-side, it's not a clear and obvious error - sp leave it alone. VAR - remember, you're not the most important person in this football match!
Similarly, if after several minutes, and even more stills from different angles than before, there appears to be a tiny touch in the penalty area, but the ref. didn't give a pen., it is not a clear and obvious ERROR.
Every football fan has a good idea (with some bias for his/her own team, it must be admitted to be fair) knows when the referee has dropped a bollock - THAT's when VAR is needed, not for an errant offside toenail, or a shirt sleeve brushing against a rapidly moving ball coming from behind a yard and a half away!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It’s a sad situation we are guilty as a collective of writing more posts on here about Dunks red card and Antony Taylor than we have about the match itself. The talking points of tonight’s game with O’neil and sky was more concentrated towards VAR and the officiating and it’s getting worse each week.
I don’t think RDZ helped our cause when he said I don’t like 80% of the officials yet he shouldn’t have to say that if they could do their job competently in the first place.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Fulham penalties tonight and the process by which they were awarded was just absolutely scandalous. Utterly inexcusable, totally inexplicable.

VAR is getting worse and worse by the week, its now way beyond a joke. We've reached a point now where there's literally nothing new to say about it. Every single week there are more and more shocking decisions that ruin games and seriously warp results.

I've always been dead against it right back from day 1. I just KNEW it would be a total shitstorm in the making, and I've hated it since its introduction. But I really had absolutely no idea that it could ever possibly get THIS bad. My god, they really have screwed what was once a wonderful game.

They've screwed it.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The problem is the VAR officials in the first place. They're the ones with time and good conditions to make correct decisions, and they should get it right. Given that they don't have to be perfect, they only need to correct clear and obvious errors, it's difficult to understand why they're so bad at it.

It is quite amazing how they've made a simple process so awful. It was stated at the start that VAR is there to correct clear and obvious errors. It was never intended to scrutinise every potential situation to the nth degree - just to make sure refs don't make a serious mistake.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It is quite amazing how they've made a simple process so awful. It was stated at the start that VAR is there to correct clear and obvious errors. It was never intended to scrutinise every potential situation to the nth degree - just to make sure refs don't make a serious mistake.
Exactly. Correcting the 'clear and obvious' errors was the mantra on which they sold it to us on. But that was always bollocks and bullshit. It was always going to be the thin end of a very thick wedge, and so its proved. It gets involved in ALL the subjective stuff, sucks the life out of the game, removed that wonderful spontaneity we had once all enjoyed to celebrate a goal, takes an age to come to a decision, gives us 110 minute games, chalks off goals for a pube being offside...

And for what ? Yeah it'll correct the odd proper duff decision. Thats what its supposed to be for. But the overall cost of having it has had a CATASTROPHIC effect on the game.

Was it really worth it, all you advocates who wanted it brought in ? Asking for a friend.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Wolves have had about as much shit with VAR as we have in the last few seasons.
From memory they really have had some shockers.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The power needs to be given back to the onfield ref. ‘Yeah thanks, seen the replay, still not a pen’. Equivalent of ‘umpires call’ in cricket. The onfield refs are avoiding making decisions because they know Mr Magoo is watching it on the telly.
Yep. The VAR room should not offer an opinion. Have the ref decide to look again if he wants, on any penalty given or penalty appeal, but have no input from the VAR room on what they think.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Remarkably restrained interview which is a credit to O’Neil

It really is. But as he alludes to, maybe ‘doing the right thing’ isn’t helping them. Which is a depressing thought. I wonder if RDZ’s comments were after him concluding similarly that we needed to ´make more noise’. I really wish it wasn’t like that, but if you’re dealing with incompetent fools who do buckle under pressure then you’re putting yourself at a disadvantage if you don’t apply as much pressure as your rivals.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Agreed. Cricket and Rugby use the review option far better.
E.G. In rugby the ref on the pitch will ask if there is any reason not to give a try although I do think the TMO is beginning to intervene as in the recent WC final.
Cricket reviews take a minute or at most two.
VAR seems to approach almost every goal with the question is there any possible way I can disallow that goal?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here