[Albion] Premier League 25-27/11/23

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Come on, do folk really believe the PL is corrupt?! The refereeing standard is poor (but I'm not convinced it's much better abroad either as everyone seems to think), but come on, it's not corrupt
Many fans of clubs below the big boys have said for years we aren’t getting that soft as shite pen at Old Trafford or the Etihad and they would be right. Surely that alone is corruption in the game.
Kevin Friend awarded Liverpool a pen at the Amex on the very first occasion Sala fell over in the box and then spent all of the injury time not booking only talking to Robinson and then blew for full time.
Wolves first game at OT this season sums up the corruption for me.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I’m with you, it’s incompetence not corruption.
Seems to have become the in thing at the moment to sing the PL, corrupt as f*** when a decision goes against a team not in the big 6. Funniest was when Sheff Utd fans sung it the other week - I know we've grown in status but I didn't realised we'd joined the elite just yet! 😅

Definitely just incompetence (although I think there needs to be more acceptance that its a bloody tough job and constant bashing of referees isn't helping - and of course VAR where the poor decisions are inexcusable, unlike genuine mistakes on the pitch in real time). I wonder who those who genuinely think it's corrupt think are benefiting from the corruption- refs taking bungs or something!?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Seems to have become the in thing at the moment to sing the PL, corrupt as f*** when a decision goes against a team not in the big 6. Funniest was when Sheff Utd fans sung it the other week - I know we've grown in status but I didn't realised we'd joined the elite just yet! 😅

Definitely just incompetence (although I think there needs to be more acceptance that its a bloody tough job and constant bashing of referees isn't helping - and of course VAR where the poor decisions are inexcusable, unlike genuine mistakes on the pitch in real time). I wonder who those who genuinely think it's corrupt think are benefiting from the corruption- refs taking bungs or something!?

Well incompetence is an easy way to say it but definitely unconscious bias going on as well as mistakes on the pitch. Plus an element of refs backing each other even when it’s wrong.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

If there is corruption it's most likely officials taking bungs to engineer certain results or events, as it was in the Italian league, the Spanish league and in the European club competitions. In the current climate the corrupters are most likely to be a betting syndicate, as in the cricket, snooker and tennis cases.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
How TF are ManU 6th? They’re bang BANG average.
I watched both matches today (unusual treat for a Sunday but the wife was out!!) and the difference in general quality of play between Spurs/Villa and Ev/MU was huge. Ev/MU neither team could string 6 passes together before going long, players running down blind alleys, wild shots. That ‘wondergoal’ came off his shin too.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I watched both matches today (unusual treat for a Sunday but the wife was out!!) and the difference in general quality of play between Spurs/Villa and Ev/MU was huge. Ev/MU neither team could string 6 passes together before going long, players running down blind alleys, wild shots. That ‘wondergoal’ came off his shin too.
Came off his shin? Didn't seem to when I saw it, and on Twitter, people comparing Rooney's goal with today's, unfavourably contrast Wayne's as coming off the shin and Garnacho's as being sweetly struck.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
By the same token, how the f*** did they finish third last season? At no time did they look remotely like the third best team in the league.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Yes, special dispensation to harangue referees without consequences is a bit of an advantage.
Plus the old trafford never give a penalty for opposing team as with Welbeck push last year and blatant hand-ball against wolves this season. I am certain there are other things we could add to the list.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Many fans of clubs below the big boys have said for years we aren’t getting that soft as shite pen at Old Trafford or the Etihad and they would be right. Surely that alone is corruption in the game.

It doesn't have to be corruption, it can be bias based on the belief that one side must be better than another, and if a 'great' player falls over, then it must be a foul, but when the poorer team goes down, they're just trying anything they can to get a decision.

Kevin Friend awarded Liverpool a pen at the Amex on the very first occasion Sala fell over in the box and then spent all of the injury time not booking only talking to Robinson and then blew for full time.
Wolves first game at OT this season sums up the corruption for me.
The incompetence is indeed very difficult to understand. If it is actually corruption, are all the big clubs paying the refs to give decision their way, and no one really knows about it, or what?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Plus the old trafford never give a penalty for opposing team as with Welbeck push last year and blatant hand-ball against wolves this season. I am certain there are other things we could add to the list.
Giving a corner long after the time added on was over, blowing the final whistle and then deciding to award a penalty for an ‘incident’ of handball during the corner kick.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yep, got to be at least 10 points bonus a year.
We had five written apologies from PGMOL last season and that was only for the mistakes they admitted to.

Referees must be more professional.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Newcastle v Man U next weekend, a draw and we could go above both.
They’ve both got more players injured than we have so we can hope for a below average match for both teams - Man U have got some key forwards missing but the Toons are missing Dan Burn 🙂

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports