Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League 13-15/8/22

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Was a pretty entertaining game. In the best of worlds it would have finished with a CP own goal in extra time but hey you can't have everything.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
How are sky going to promote that ' massive' game next Monday? 12th vs 20th

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My Liverpool supporting mate has already conceded the league to Man City - He is blaming a crippling injury list.

Excluding Nunez by my reckoning it was only Phillips(out on loan) and Elliot(injured most of last year) that weren’t regularly involved in Liverpool first team games last season?

My mate has been taking the piss out of Man Utd all weekend and the funny thing is if United beat them next week, they go above them in the table !
Funny old game !

Thiago injured, Mane (the best player) sold after he demanded to join Bayern, Henderson only a sub.

The team’s regressed and is a year older.

They won’t spend the money this summer of teams not worried about following ‘a good housekeeping’ approach.

E1C40377-6E3B-42DC-8BB1-79BF82504196.png

Chelsea also in for Fofana £85m, De Jong and Auba.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Too early to change predictions Nottingham could have let in 3/4 2nd half. Will spend another £100m in Jan if in trouble. Everton looking poor but will spend, Bournmouth look weakish. 40 points always quoted but rarely needed. Think it will be this season

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Thiago injured, Mane (the best player) sold after he demanded to join Bayern, Henderson only a sub.

The team’s regressed and is a year older.

They won’t spend the money this summer of teams not worried about following ‘a good housekeeping’ approach.

View attachment 150897

Chelsea also in for Fofana £85m, De Jong and Auba.

Yup... in the long run it will be difficult for Liverpool to compete as long as they have owners that actually wants to make a profit, unlike the owners of pretty much every other big club.

Also not quite sure about the "spend £100m on just one bloke" strategy.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Was a pretty entertaining game. In the best of worlds it would have finished with a CP own goal in extra time but hey you can't have everything.

These days I’ll ‘happily’ support Palace against any of the big boys. Sverige is overrun with Liverpool supporters, several of whom live in Brighton, two of whom I work with. Plastic idiots.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
How are sky going to promote that ' massive' game next Monday? 12th vs 20th

Well, after we play West Ham off the park, they will drop below Man U.
Palace could well get something v Villa
Leicester v Southampton have a winner
Everton could get something v Forest

15th v 19th?

(Fulham against Brentford and Wolves agsainst Tottenham could also leap frog Liverpool, but they seemed less likely to happen).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yup... in the long run it will be difficult for Liverpool to compete as long as they have owners that actually wants to make a profit, unlike the owners of pretty much every other big club.

Also not quite sure about the "spend £100m on just one bloke" strategy.

Nunez cost £64.2m, Benfica had to announce the figure to their stock exchange. It’ll only be more if he delivers a stack of goals and trophies over his career.

Correct about the owners, they’ve never put a penny in for players. Just medium term loans for infrastructure, repaid fairly quickly from cash flow.

Arsenal are a financial enigma. Kronke was slagged off for years, but in recent windows going on huge spending sprees, despite zero CL income. Not sure how they’re doing that, I suspect Kronke isn’t so tight after all.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
These days I’ll ‘happily’ support Palace against any of the big boys. Sverige is overrun with Liverpool supporters, several of whom live in Brighton, two of whom I work with. Plastic idiots.

Lots of Liverpool supporters all over Scandinavia, by far the most popular team in Norway and Finland as well. Probably not in Denmark due to Schmeichelian reasons.

Long anecdote warning:

There was a pretty big survey made four years ago about Swedish peoples favorite teams in England:

Liverpool (23,7%)
Man U (19,3%)
Arsenal (16,2%)
Tottenham (6,4%)
Chelsea (6,1%)
Man C (3,2%)
Leeds United (3,0%)
Aston Villa (2,1%)
West Ham (2,0%)
Everton (1,6%)

Among supporters over 55, it looked a little different:

1. Huddersfield Town
2. Burnley
3. Fulham
4. Wolverhampton Wanderers
5. West Ham United

Sweden had the first foreign TV deal to show the English top division I think, in 1969. Some Swedish journo went over to England in 1967 to write about a fox hunt or something which was eventually cancelled due to some disease, so he went to watch football instead and realised it wouldnt compete with Allsvenskan (because Allsvenskan was played on Sundays). He called his Swedish and Danish colleagues and they bought the TV rights for £800 per game - very cheap even at the time, but your blokes had little know-how about the value of the English top division since you didn't even broadcast it yourself until the 80s.

About 25% of the Swedish population tuned in to watch the English league every week and the teams that were good/exciting in the 70s and 80s remains very popular among older people these days.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Lots of Liverpool supporters all over Scandinavia, by far the most popular team in Norway and Finland as well. Probably not in Denmark due to Schmeichelian reasons.

Long anecdote warning:

There was a pretty big survey made four years ago about Swedish peoples favorite teams in England:

Liverpool (23,7%)
Man U (19,3%)
Arsenal (16,2%)
Tottenham (6,4%)
Chelsea (6,1%)
Man C (3,2%)
Leeds United (3,0%)
Aston Villa (2,1%)
West Ham (2,0%)
Everton (1,6%)

Among supporters over 55, it looked a little different:

1. Huddersfield Town
2. Burnley
3. Fulham
4. Wolverhampton Wanderers
5. West Ham United

Sweden had the first foreign TV deal to show the English top division I think, in 1969. Some Swedish journo went over to England in 1967 to write about a fox hunt or something which was eventually cancelled due to some disease, so he went to watch football instead and realised it wouldnt compete with Allsvenskan (because Allsvenskan was played on Sundays). He called his Swedish and Danish colleagues and they bought the TV rights for £800 per game - very cheap even at the time, but your blokes had little know-how about the value of the English top division since you didn't even broadcast it yourself until the 80s.

About 25% of the Swedish population tuned in to watch the English league every week and the teams that were good/exciting in the 70s and 80s remains very popular among older people these days.

I’ve met many football folk from the Nordic nations, on football weekends in England and this predates hospitality packages (tourists), including Danes, Norwegians and Finns. As you say, it goes back to watching live TV Saturday afternoon games in the 70’s and 80’s. Then passed on to their kids.

Mexican Seagull

Jan 16, 2013
Mexico City
Living in Copenhagen in the 70s & 80s was great turning on the danish TV to watch a 1st division game every Saturday afternoon, though when we got promoted to the 1st div and Albion games started to get shown (infrequently) I recall the danish commentator did moan about the Goldstone being one of the most primitive staduims he had ever been to......

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
This makes sense, one of my colleagues in Oslo disclosed to me that he was a Leeds fan. It turned out that he and his young friends all picked a differnt Division 1 team to follow in the 70's. It now makes sense if winter Saturday afternoons were spent watching the TV.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I swear that Palace goal leads a charmed life. The number of times I've seen that mob getting their arses handed to them on a plate (not least by BHA), yet they still chisel out a result. Its freakish.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I swear that Palace goal leads a charmed life. The number of times I've seen that mob getting their arses handed to them on a plate (not least by BHA), yet they still chisel out a result. Its freakish.

The Reverse Albion?

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012

You say freakish I say great character, discipline and belief in the tactics :thumbsup:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
You say freakish I say great character, discipline and belief in the tactics :thumbsup:
Yep, it was certainly marvellous the way Diaz cut through half your team like a knife through buttocks Douglas, unleashed a long range shot that gave Guieta (spelling?) ample time to calculate incoming trajectory, potential dip and swerve and yet still got nowhere near. Glorious closing down ‘discipline’ and goalkeeping.tactics all round.

:amex::kiss:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here