Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League 1-3/10/22

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I get that Forest lost some of their first team through players returning to parents clubs after a loan, and a few others were sold or their contract was up. But signing 20+ players covers that loss from the squad, and some extra bodies to improve them, and then its a load of players on top of that. Its just way too many to integrate into a squad.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The international break seems to have done Leicester some good. As for Forest, too many players bought, too much money spent, and yet they start with a Championship level CB pairing of Cook and McKenna. I hope they get better because if they stay up it could be at the expense of a Leeds or Villa.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
I get that Forest lost some of their first team through players returning to parents clubs after a loan, and a few others were sold or their contract was up. But signing 20+ players covers that loss from the squad, and some extra bodies to improve them, and then its a load of players on top of that. Its just way too many to integrate into a squad.

Meanwhile, Leicester were relatively quiet (alright, they did lose Schmeichel and Fofana, the later for silly money) and they are so far equally shit (based on league table, not on this particular game). One team bought too many players, one team bought too few, both are struggling.

I guess, at least, in the case of too many players, you can at least hope that they will eventually start to gel. Hopefully (for Forest) before it's too late to save their season.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
If Forest want to stay up they should never let Kouyate pull on a red shirt again. He was hooked off at half-time but for 45 mins he was strolling about and totally off the pace. He's either not bothered or totally shit, it's probably both.
He's stealing a living as a Premier League footballer.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Because most of them were either on loan or clearly nowhere near Premier League standard.

I'm told by one of my Forest supporting friends that they also cocked up their early signings aiming too low. And signed a guy with a broken leg.
I think they had as many as 7 or 8 on loan, so needed to replace those. Plus probably needed to upgrade a few of oFrest's own players who were either not quite ready, or just not good enough, for the PL.
So, a dozen or 14 players then, maybe - but they got in (I think) 22. It was almost as if they were just hoovering up affordable players willy-nilly, with no clear plan as to what they wanted - just a random bunch of players. Now it's starting to look as if that is exactly what they did.

Last edited:

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Ithink they had as many as 7 or 8 on loan, so needed to replace those. Plus probably needed to upgrade a few of Fprest's own players who were either not quie ready, or just not good enough, for the PL.
So, a dozen or 14 players then, maybe - but they got in (I think) 22. It was almost as if they were just hoovering up affordable players willy-nilly, with no clear plan as to what they wanted - just a random bunch of players. Now it's starting to look as if that is exactly what they did.

I understand that after loans, players who were never going to be good enough and players at the end of their contract, they were down to about 5 players going into this season. So while they definitely could have handled it better they were always going to be signing far more players than they'd like going into the new season.

I could check the exact numbers with my friend (or the Internet) but to be honest it's their problem and I don't actually care that much.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
To quote myself:

I'm no fan of Steve Cooper... while he'll get the chance in the PL at some point I think he might end up in the "great in the Championship, wont work in the PL" category with his style of football.

He'll be gone tomorrow.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I don’t understand, why did forest change all of the players that got them promoted? Sure add a few to strengthen your team, but getting a whole new team to gel and get to know each other in the premier league seems nuts.

They sort of had to. They were lucky with injuries last season and had 14-15 top Championship players, with much of the rest of the squad barely good enough for that division and much less the PL. In addition, plenty of those 14-15 players were on loan and got picked up by bigger teams after the season, others - like Grabban - felt they could not compete at that level. In the end, they overdid the signing spree a little bit, but they really had to get about 15 players in to stand a chance. Damned if you do, damned if you dont.

Edit: ok, saw that some already had answered this..

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Agree with the general sentiment, that'll be the end of Cooper. Feel like some of the top established managers in the league would struggle with the absolute mess he has been given. It'd need to be a world class appointment to stop them from going down and I can't see that happening.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'd rather they stuck with Cooper for another 3 weeks or so.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
If Potter had left in the summer Cooper would have been one of the favourites for the Albion job (not necessarily with Bloom/Barbs, of course).

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I hope Cooper can turn it round for them as I quite like Forest (my university city), but really they have made their own bed here by overspending massively on Jessie Lingard, who has been absolute dog shit at this level for at least four years. His effectiveness in that time is massively overstated, based on half a good season at West Ham, which ignores the fact that their fans couldn't wait to see the back of him by the end of that loan spell.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here