Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League 1-3/10/22

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
To quote myself:

He'll be gone tomorrow.

Out of interest, can you quote the post where you explained what it is about his style of football that you thought wouldn't work in the Premier League?

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm actually interested.

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm happy with you just telling me if dragging up an old post is a pain in the arse.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I want to see Haarland play....but I want him to be injured against us,,,,does that make me bad?

or will we pitch up at The Etiead and see a dunk masterclass?

Whatever happens a night out in Manchester bekons.

Put Tariq Lamptey on him. You know it makes sense.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
They sort of had to. They were lucky with injuries last season and had 14-15 top Championship players, with much of the rest of the squad barely good enough for that division and much less the PL. In addition, plenty of those 14-15 players were on loan and got picked up by bigger teams after the season, others - like Grabban - felt they could not compete at that level. In the end, they overdid the signing spree a little bit, but they really had to get about 15 players in to stand a chance. Damned if you do, damned if you dont.

Edit: ok, saw that some already had answered this..

Thanks to both replies, I had not realised so many of their players were loans. It must be tough for Forest fans who finally get back into the top flight only to find they were so unprepared for it. Cooper must have done well to get a load of loans to play well enough to win promotion from the championship. Maybe he can this bunch to gel, real tough ask.

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
I might be a lone voice here, but I think Forest will stay up. I can just see one of those runs where they go around 8 unbeaten with say 5 wins. It kind of fits the narrative of last seasons run that took them from the shambolic start to play off winners.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Out of interest, can you quote the post where you explained what it is about his style of football that you thought wouldn't work in the Premier League?

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm actually interested.

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm happy with you just telling me if dragging up an old post is a pain in the arse.

Can't be arsed really as I've made too many posts about this man in GP season 1/2 when some people wanted him to replace Potter.

Steve Cooper got his teams playing pretty direct football, long balls into open spaces close to the opposition goal to create quick chances and then aggressive, but usually quite low, defending with many players to win the ball back. It works fine in the Championship where there is more coincidence due to most teams not having 11 very good players - if you have one or two pacy players on the wings or up front, a higher number of attacks will mean more goals. In PL you can't play like that, you'll lose the ball too much since your attacking players will too often be in 1v2 situations, and losing the ball is punished in a different way.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Can't be arsed really as I've made too many posts about this man in GP season 1/2 when some people wanted him to replace Potter.

Steve Cooper got his teams playing pretty direct football, long balls into open spaces close to the opposition goal to create quick chances and then aggressive, but usually quite low, defending with many players to win the ball back. It works fine in the Championship where there is more coincidence due to most teams not having 11 very good players - if you have one or two pacy players on the wings or up front, a higher number of attacks will mean more goals. In PL you can't play like that, you'll lose the ball too much since your attacking players will too often be in 1v2 situations, and losing the ball is punished in a different way.

Thanks

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here