Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pre Match v Doncaster

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Sorry if this is fixtures I don't recollect seeing it anywhere else, but I know of plenty of supporters who are saving themselves for The Donny Game as their first visit to The Amex, and to me rightly so. There's also the issue of 5000ish tickets that we will be short of due to this Saturdays game being a ramp up event.

One thing concerns me here, do the club plan to hold events leading up to the kick-off of our first "meaningful" game against Donny at The Amex. This is surely the game when these celebrations should take place. Due to financial implications (through some health issues) I was never able to afford the Spurs game for myself and my 15 year old son to attend together. Painful as it is, as any father would do I purchased him my seat in order that he could have the memory of his first game at our new Stadium on Saturday. So far on top of that ticket I have also purchased 2 for the Gillingham game in addition to my monthly D/D being taken.

There are posters on here who know of my issues and what lies ahead for me and I thank them for their PM's. Should things go well later this year then I hope to be back to normal service as soon as possible. Just dearly wish we could have made that first journey together as Father & Son !

Best regards

Jimbo.GRFC

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Sorry if this is fixtures I don't recollect seeing it anywhere else, but I know of plenty of supporters who are saving themselves for The Donny Game as their first visit to The Amex, and to me rightly so.

One thing concerns me here, do the club plan to hold events leading up to the kick-off of our first "meaningful" game against Donny at The Amex. This is surely the game when these celebrations should take place.

Like you, I chose to save myself for the Doncaster game, as to me its the one that counts.

The club have been very clear though, that the Spurs game is the 'Official Opening' of the ground, and that all the brass bands, parade of old managers, etc would all take place at that match.

Gus himself stated that he wants the Doncaster game to be only about the football - that its the points that matter.

Sorry - but if you wanted opera singers, and ticker tape, you needed the Spurs game.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Gus has said he wants August 6th to be all about the football, so that's what it will be and rightly so.

robbyford182

Dec 19, 2008
Sure I read somehwere, Gus wants Donny game to be a back to business game and get all the razz a mataz out of the way.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I think as Gus wanted the Donny game to be strictly business the main festivities will be held saturday.

To be honest I think the fans will be instigators of the pre match celebrations at the Donny game which should make it special for all those lucky enough to be there. Enjoy the day!

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I don't know if things have changed, but I think Gus said that it would all be on the spudz game, because he wanted the rovers match to be like any other league game as far as the players are concerned. I wasn't going to buy a spudz ticket, but because of this I did.

oops beaten to it.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think as Gus wanted the Donny game to be strictly business the main festivities will be held saturday.

To be honest I think the fans will be instigators of the pre match celebrations at the Donny game which should make it special for all those lucky enough to be there. Enjoy the day!
Exactly - get all the celebrations and razzamatazz out of the way at Spurs and then, as far as the club is concerned, Donny is strictly business.

From a fans point of view of course, especially those who've been saving themselves, it probably won't be strictly business. The whole atmosphere will be unreal and nothing like we've been used to for a bog-standard Brighton home game. That in itself will make the day memorable, it won't need anything else.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Like you, I chose to save myself for the Doncaster game, as to me its the one that counts.

The club have been very clear though, that the Spurs game is the 'Official Opening' of the ground, and that all the brass bands, parade of old managers, etc would all take place at that match.

Gus himself stated that he wants the Doncaster game to be only about the football - that its the points that matter.

Sorry - but if you wanted opera singers, and ticker tape, you needed the Spurs game.

Fair reply HKFC, got to go with Gus I suppose, just shows his true professionalism for the job ahead. Think I'm just frustrated that the Spurs game has come one week too early to afford tickets for myself and my son to attend together having purchased his ticket for Spurs, Gillingham x2, then my season ticket D/D. As i mentioned earlier some on this board know my background and after what I've put my lad and the rest of the family through with numerous hospital visits, to officially pass the Albion baton to my son for future generations of our family is but a nice dream.

IndependentWSU

May 24, 2011
Saturdays game will involve an opera singer and a pitch walk. I suspect that there will be a few thousand in the concourses and in Dicks Bar.
Open the Stadium and roll on August 6th

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yup. Donny is just a regular game. Spurs is the special one, the proper start of our new home, a truly momentous "I was there" occasion.

In years to come, your Grandson will look up at you with twinkling blue eyes and ask, "Were you there for the first game at our new stadium, Grandad?"

And if you were at the Spurs game, you can hold your head high and say "I was there." Whereas if you waited until the Donny game, you'd have to say; "Well, no, but I was at the first LEAGUE game..."

Grandson: "So, you missed the start of our incredible new adventure."

Grandad (who waited for Donny): ".......yes."

Grandson: " You're a prat, Grandad."

Grandson slopes off.

The above is in no way influenced by the fact that I'm missing the Donny game due to a f***ing wedding.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Yup. Donny is just a regular game. Spurs is the special one, the proper start of our new home, a truly momentous "I was there" occasion.

In years to come, your Grandson will look up at you with twinkling blue eyes and ask, "Were you there for the first game at our new stadium, Grandad?"

And if you were at the Spurs game, you can hold your head high and say "I was there." Whereas if you waited until the Donny game, you'd have to say; "Well, no, but I was at the first LEAGUE game..."

Grandson slopes off.

The above is in no way influenced by the fact that I'm missing the Donny game due to a f***ing wedding.

Guess you;'re right. I'm gutted to be missing the Spurs game and see Micky and Russell and baldy Gritt parading past the masses; and a ticket to the game against Doncaster is scant consolation. :(

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010

Grandson slopes off.

Still, I could always remind my Grandson of the years between The Goldstone and The Amex, the pain and the joys I've endured supporting this great club. promotions, relegations, Cup Finals (FA Cup I attended every game, even the Newcastle replay), Play off finals but most of all when the chips "were really down" I was there at Gillingham still as a season ticket holder and as the only driver, myself a 3 pals always travelling up to The Priestfield even on a cold wet Tuesday night for games against the likes of Macclesfield knowing we were going to lose. There's plenty more but when I look back at these memory's, I wouldn't change them for the world especially that magical day at Edgar Street !!

A match has taken place with Brighton playing Eastbourne Borough which I did attend. This is surely recognised as the first match at The Amex as Gary Harts goal at The Stadium is recognised as the first goal !! Try telling him it doesn't count as the first

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Whoosh. Read it AGAIN. ALL of it.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I consider the match against Donny as the first "proper" game , Spurs is only a ramp-up friendly. Why can't we have the razzamatazz for ALL games at The Amex ?

I consider the match against Donny as the first "proper" game , Spurs is only a ramp-up friendly. Why can't we have the razzamatazz for ALL games at The Amex ?

Everyone knows the first PROPER game is home to Blackpool.

I will not have anyone tell me different.

Same as Meloton, I wil be at a wedding for Doncaster.:censored:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here