Pre-Match Entertainment Last Night

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gotsmanov

Aug 13, 2003
Brighton
Right, Saturday was great - the big tunes got everyone pumped up - especially 'Right Here, Right Now', then that pause of a few minutes which was superbly filled by us all passionately belting up various chants, unaided by backing tracks - it worked very well indeed.

Last night - less so. The music played in the few minutes before kick-off, whilst sentimental Albion chant-related medleys (Hey Jude, Fat Les etc) was just all a bit 'forced', and, well, a bit too karaoke, a bit too 'plastic'.

Football's all about spontaneity, and whilst it was a nice touch to have these medleys put together, we don't need any help singing, or any backing tracks, as Saturday proved, and I was just left a bit bemused by all of that. As Hey Jude was fading out, the DJ yelled "one more time!" - I just shuddered with embarrassment - what must opposing fans make of that? Are we so lame that we need backing tracks and wedding-DJ encouragement? Certainly not.

Same goes for the 'Fan Zone' faces in the crowd on the big screen - just felt it was a bit unnecessary.

However, the highlights montage of the Donny game was definitely superb.

So, take all this as a positive - constructive criticism. We're learning by doing - finding out what works. For me, Saturday's music build-up, no karaoke, coupled with the previous game's highlights works wonders.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
PA system was quieter last night. Any reason?

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
I thought the PA system was even louder than Saturday (perhaps because the crowd were quieter).

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
The big screens need dimming when it gets dark too!

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Football's all about spontaneity, and whilst it was a nice touch to have these medleys put together, we don't need any help singing, or any backing tracks, as Saturday proved, and I was just left a bit bemused by all of that. As Hey Jude was fading out, the DJ yelled "one more time!" - I just shuddered with embarrassment - what must opposing fans make of that? Are we so lame that we need backing tracks and wedding-DJ encouragement? Certainly not.

As much as I'd like and want to agree with you, I can't. People often say they need the team to do something for them to get behind them and sing for example. This helps get the crowd going and whilst I'd like to think we didn't need it and it is lame and plastic, I think it works, and gets people pumped up and ready to sing properly when the game kicks off.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
As much as I'd like and want to agree with you, I can't. People often say they need the team to do something for them to get behind them and sing for example. This helps get the crowd going and whilst I'd like to think we didn't need it and it is lame and plastic, I think it works, and gets people pumped up and ready to sing properly when the game kicks off.

I agree, but want it earlier, not just before the teams come out. Get it on with 20 mins or so before kick off, but leave the 5/10 before SBTS to us.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
They should clearly introduce the use of the main intro from Right here Right now as the final song before the Gladiators enter the arena (in true Stuart Hall fashion).

IT has the right sentimentality, rhythm, and gravitas to whip up our vocal appreciation to fever pitch just as the Albion arrive. By all means then follow this up with Sussex by the Sea, but even here I feel there is no need to have the extended side B version, but simply the Radio edit that accompanied the teams so poignantly at The Goldstone.

So far I have however been incredibly impressed by the club to listen to this constructive criticism and deliver a consistently better match day experience on each occasion.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I agree, but want it earlier, not just before the teams come out. Get it on with 20 mins or so before kick off, but leave the 5/10 before SBTS to us.

On last night's evidence there's not much point starting it too early as most people will still be on the concourses. The club did leave a sizeable gap again between the music and the start of SBTS which, although there wasn't as much singing as Saturday obviously, still does seem to encourage people to get vocal. I'm sure at the bigger matches, where people are pumped up, that will work really well.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Can we get Norm to re-mix SBTS? A proper job, a bit better than that ska version.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Same goes for the 'Fan Zone' faces in the crowd on the big screen - just felt it was a bit unnecessary.

Yep, that bit was absolute shit, think it will be dropped rather quickly if anyone has any sense. Enjoyed the Donny highlights though, nice touch.

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
Hmmmm well it's better than delia smith coming onto the pitch to pump us up...... Now that's embarrassing haha

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I thought both of the Doncaster video's were brilliantly put together, first the timelaspe one from the empty stadium at the start through to the empty stadium at the end was reminisant of Titanic's excellent stadium built timelapses.

The second highlights one was good as well.

Fanszone is a bit basebally to me, ok for the kids though - maybe do it for a shorter time concentrating on the family stand and the kids elsewhere, they all love it to be on the big screen.

I don't dislike the music, I think it just need to be tightened up a bit, they will get there in the end. Also the replays need improving as sometimes they don't work at all, especially the phantom Gillingham substitution. Again that is just the media crew getting to grips with the technology, I'm sure it will improve in time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports