Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PPG for top 10 and required PPG for rest of season.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Might well have to did out my old spreadsheet where I apply PPG from teams form (last 6 or 10 games) to the remainder of the season.

Well you can, but if you use the 6 match as an example, Derby will achieve 100 points based on their last six matches, Albion willl win league with 104 and Newcastle miss out with 97. Slightly absurd result, methinks...

The problems with recent form are: it doesn't take account of quality of opposition; may not be equal home or away; why 6 and 10, no evidence they are better predictor than last 22; takes no account of difficulty of future fixtures (e.g. derby have far more away games against top teams than home); doesn't allow for Jan signing effect; omits injuries and suspensions; and this is FOOTBALL, it doesn't work like a mechanical clock.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Didn't burnley get 56 points from the last 24 games? It is possible

Yes, they did and I for one had foolishly written them off when lost 2-0 at home to Preston just beforehand that run commenced.

My instinct is that 2.33 ppg which is what Burnley achieved from game 22 is about as good as it can get. Over a season equivalent to 107 points and that has not happened in recent history (maybe never?); Reading were closest in 2006 with 106. Don't put your mortgage on it, but I would be surprised to see anyone outside top two achieve more than 48 points from here.

larus

Updated with columns for points assuming average of 2PPG in remaining fixtures and continuing with same PPG ratio as now.

Hang on - made a mistake :)View attachment 80330

Attachments

• Ponts_92_2016_12_17_b.png
    Ponts_92_2016_12_17_b.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 691
Last edited:

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
Updated with columns for points assuming average of 2PPG in remaining fixtures and continuing with same PPG ratio as now.

Hang on - made a mistake :)View attachment 80330

On course for 100 points and still have scope to improve with Kayal and Rosenior to return and the January transfer window... Impressive

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
If we beat QPR and Cardiff then we are as good as up.

Bookies will have us no longer than about 1/8 to be promoted. Because we could do something like W11 D3 L8 from our remaining 22 games and still go up ...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If we beat QPR and Cardiff then we are as good as up.

Bookies will have us no longer than about 1/8 to be promoted. Because we could do something like W11 D3 L8 from our remaining 22 games and still go up ...
Only if Reading, Huddersfield, Leeds, Massive and Derby have a miserable Christmas and New Year.

I tend to go with the gap must be greater than the number of games left theory ( which doesn't work once we get to the last 4/5 games ).

ie We are as good as up if we are 15 points clear of 3rd with 15 games still to play etc.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I would direct you stat heads to https://experimental361.com/

It might save you some brain space and his calculations reflect the form of all the sides still to play (1000's of permutations). Interesting whichever way you look at it.
Very interesting. Basically doing expertly what we are all playing around with. This week saw our "Top 2 Finish" probability increase from 86% to 90%.

Beat QPR and Cardiff and, depending on what happens elsewhere, it should take at least one or two further steps towards the next goal of 95% probability.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Latest update after todays fixtures.

View attachment 80544

Also, a simple sheet showing the overall season form.

View attachment 80545

Our last 17 games - 43 points. 2.53 (approx lol) per game.

Well done. To think, I was worried after six games!

Just realised, Newcastle were the only team in the top ten (as of 5pm) not to win their "Boxing Day" fixture. Big win today.

The Target PPG is looking good, but I'll stop there, so I don't jinx anything...

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Amazing to think that since 20th February against Cardiff we have lost just twice in 37 regular league games.

Yoda

English & European
Forgot to send mine home to keep updated so just created a new one:
table23.PNG
Column for Maximum points that can be achieved, Based on PPG so far this season, and PPG based on last 10 games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here