Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet's Foreign Legion

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Did you notice that only three out of the eleven who started against Brentford want to play their international football for England? And only three of seven on the bench as well?

Another reason they can call us the Arsenal of League One.

In fact with a suspension to Elphick and an injury to Bennett you could easily see a starting eleven of:

Ankergren: Denmark

Painter: Republic of Ireland
Greer: Scotland
El-Abd: Egypt
Calderon: Spain

LuaLua: Congo
Kishishev: Bulgaria
Dicker: Republic of Ireland

Baz or Battipiedi: Argentina

Sandaza: Spain
Barnes: Austria

Not a single player who wants to play for England!

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Barnes - Austria....... Am I missing something here???

D

Deleted member 2719

To be fair as much as i rate most of them at Championship level i could not see any making the England Squad even if they could qualify, i am sure they are realistic about this.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Played for their U21s and qualified through his grandmother.

didn't know that. has either dicker or painter played for ireland U21s? actually if you look at some of the recent ireland squads, those 2 might not be too far from getting called up to the first team squad (IF we go up and IF they're playing for us next season... so two monster IFs!)

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
Hardly surprising when you look at the mentality that still exists among the English players even those at international level - they think they are better than they are - the gambling, hookers and drinking culture mentality (especially with local players) - greedy agents - lack of professionalism in training (just ask Russell Slade) - Poyet has merely realized what most premiership managers know, foreign players take the job more seriously and generally give better value for money - loved it when he cleared out the rubbish we had floating about at the Albion.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Am I the only one confused about what the point of this thread is?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Slightly distorted thread, El Abd and Painter could play for England.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I don't care if the are from Timbuktu... if they are the best player for their position, then they should play...

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
No wonder the Plymouth game was postponed...we're a team full of fking internationals

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Did you notice that only three out of the eleven who started against Brentford want to play their international football for England? And only three of seven on the bench as well?

Another reason they can call us the Arsenal of League One.

In fact with a suspension to Elphick and an injury to Bennett you could easily see a starting eleven of:

Ankergren: Denmark

Painter: Republic of Ireland
Greer: Scotland
El-Abd: Egypt
Calderon: Spain

LuaLua: Congo
Kishishev: Bulgaria
Dicker: Republic of Ireland

Baz or Battipiedi: Argentina

Sandaza: Spain
Barnes: Austria

Not a single player who wants to play for England!

your point is what, exactly?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
i hate all these bloody foreigners ruining the english game and the national side :jester:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Hardly surprising when you look at the mentality that still exists among the English players even those at international level - they think they are better than they are - the gambling, hookers and drinking culture mentality (especially with local players) - greedy agents - lack of professionalism in training (just ask Russell Slade) - Poyet has merely realized what most premiership managers know, foreign players take the job more seriously and generally give better value for money - loved it when he cleared out the rubbish we had floating about at the Albion.

A bit of a sweeping statement there and I am not sure if it is accurate.

The French, Dutch and other national teams have had their problems and individual foreign players have too whilst playing here, so I am not willing to suddenly slag off English players whilst exaggerating the virtues of our foreign footballers.

However nationalities do seem to have differing traits when it comes down to their players.

Generally I think English players offer commitment, desire a sound work ethic and a will to win.

Certainly our flaws in the past has been booze and gambling, I think sexual scandals are likely to be prevalent no matter of your nationality ;-)

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
There are plenty of professionally-minded young English players around.

However, it is true that there is a certain sort of young English player that loves being a big fish in a small-ish pond, wears yellow boots, acts Bertie Big Bollocks even though he's done f**k all in the game, and will give a manager who has been in the sport 35 years a hard time because they're not a recent Premier League star.

We all know we have had our share of these players recently, and the only option is to drum them out or give them a harsh reality check of what is required. A Leon Knight video should do the trick. In fact, that would sell thousands in the game for educational purposes.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Doesn't really matter where they want to play their international football, most of them never will. If you're trying to say we have a mostly foreign team, you're wrong:

El-Abd - English
Elphick - English
Painter - English
Sparrow - English
Bennett - English
Barnes - English

That's from the starting 11 last night, then those that came on:

Bridcutt - English
Murray - English.

FlownWest

Aug 10, 2010
I'm not really fussed... as most will probably never play for their selected country its all a bit superficial really. Most of them grew up playing the English game and that's all that matters to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here