Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet's failure to sign a target man is a farce

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
9 men out there tonight. Barnes completely anonymous and Dobbie making Billy Paynter look mobile. Presumably he was our 16th choice striker in the summer and we ended up with him?

It's embarrassing that we still haven't replaced Murray and infuriating that, just like last season, a few games in and teams have worked out that we've got no plan b. We've made some brilliant signings, but Poyet's failure to get the striker (again!) is going to cost us.

Let's hope CMS gets fit soon and Dobbie can sit his fat arse back on the subs bench!

Last edited:

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Really?? Thought barnes held up the play well and played some very nice balls.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Really?? Thought barnes held up the play well and played some very nice balls.

Nice balls to who?

Held the ball up to who? Certainly not our absent midfield, we'd have had more pace with Navarro back in there. Said a lot when El-Abd and Greer were having to make driving runs in the second half.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Yes, its a total farce. Why are we 3rd in the league and not top - its pathetic - POYET OUT. Dobbie has played TWO games, the whole team performance in those has been poor.

Some people....

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Yes, its a total farce. Why are we 3rd in the league and not top - its pathetic - POYET OUT. Dobbie has played TWO games, the whole team performance in those has been poor.

Some people....

and why has the team been poor?

Because there's nothing up front in the absence of CMS. All summer he spoke of a target man, and he failed to get one, for the third transfer window running. Embarrassing.

Nov 20, 2003
hove
thought barnes was poor tonight and on sat he just dosnt attack the spaces and get on the end of things ,Think Dobbie needs more games and would like to see him link up with cms could be a good partnership in the making

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
9 men out there tonight. Barnes completely anonymous and Dobbie making Billy Paynter look mobile. Presumably he was our 16th choice striker in the summer and we ended up with him?

It's embarrassing that we still haven't replaced Murray and infuriating that, just like last season, a few games in and teams have worked out that we've got no plan b. We've made some brilliant signings, but Poyet's failure to get the striker (again!) is going to cost us.

Let's hope CMS gets fit soon and Dobbie can sit his fat arse back on the subs bench!

Disagree with what you say about Dobbie, because he will be quality. He is not the main striker we need, though.

However, Poyet's failure to sign another striker will cost us promotion this year, and the fact we only have 3 strikers on the books ( + 1 sicknote, and 1 rookie ) is definitely a farce.

Last edited:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I don't get our fans obsession with getting a target man. I've heard people banging on about this for about 7 years now, mabye it's been ever since Bobby left. Every time we lose a few games everyone goes on about it. It's not the answer, and especially not with a passing style of football.

You do need someone up front who is mobile and can get in positions to receive the ball often though, without CMS we don't have this at the moment.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
We need another proper forward for exactly these moments....... i.e. 2 of our front men are out injured. Although I think Dobbie will come good he is not a front man surely. Anyway we know Gus does not rate Hoskins now.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Disagree with what you say about Dobbie, because he will be quality. He is not the main striker we need.

However, Poyet's failure to sign a target man will cost us promotion this year, and the fact we only have 3 strikers on the books ( + 1 sicknote, and 1 rookie ) is definitely a farce.

I don't get our fans obsession with getting a target man. I've heard people banging on about this for about 7 years now, mabye it's been ever since Bobby left. Every time we lose a few games everyone goes on about it. It's not the answer, and especially not with a passing style of football.

You do need someone up front who is mobile and can get in positions to receive the ball often though, without CMS we don't have this at the moment.
Bung these 2 replies together and you'll have the answer.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate

Jesus Christ.

Poyet himself has been talking of his need for a target man all year.
A target-man spearheaded our promotion from League 1. It's what you need when you can't play the passing game.

It gets mentioned every time we drop points because it's so blindingly obvious to everyone, and only the most blinkered refuse to see it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here