Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet's Barnsley Press Conference

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
Mixed Emotions. Some of it make me chuckle, Some of it made me sad.

But it really did make things clear that we are not a sugar daddy club, We are living on a realistic budget from the our own income.

Now, I don't know if Gus realised, but at some point in the interview, it felt like Gus's Ambitions were being inhibited by the clubs financial restraints. This kind of got me sad, Because it means that even a season packed 30,750 Amex wouldn't fund a sqaud that can challenge for the premiership.

It was also noted by Gus that stronger teams in the championship, also have a very strong bench. I.e After 80mins Hull can throw on 3 fresh players of good quality to replace the tired ones. Whereby Gus needed to ask the likes of MS etc.. to do the whole 90mins flatout.

Gus claims to be happy with the situation, Otherwise he would be at home playing golf. So he's not going to walk just yet.

I know most of us know this to be true. But I just hope that with this in mind, people wouldn't get there expectations too high.

This interview certainly dropped mine considerably.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Good. I'd far rather the club be run well with solid foundations for the future than be spunking millions of pounds on shite like Frédéric Piquionne.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
It was also noted by Gus that stronger teams in the championship, also have a very strong bench. I.e After 80mins Hull can throw on 3 fresh players of good quality to replace the tired ones. Whereby Gus needed to ask the likes of MS etc.. to do the whole 90mins flatout.

On Tuesday he brought on Vicente and Lua Lua. Hardly lacking quality?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I'm not sure why your sad about? If you thought we would get players like Zamora et al then your expectations were far too high in the first place. It was always clear that we weren't going to do a Leicester last year, or a Cardiff this year. And that kind of spending doesn't guarantee success as is demonstrated time and time again. Its much better how we are now, we have a settled squad with a few recognised deficiencies that the Club are working on to fill. We don't need to go out buying any Tom Dick or Harry out of desperation or on massively inflated wages. If we don't get promoted and Gus leaves on that basis next year then so be it, I trust Bloom to make another astute appointment, as I trust him to make the correct financial decisions for the Club, whether Poyet ultimately likes it or not.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Mixed Emotions. Some of it make me chuckle, Some of it made me sad.

But it really did make things clear that we are not a sugar daddy club, We are living on a realistic budget from the our own income.

Now, I don't know if Gus realised, but at some point in the interview, it felt like Gus's Ambitions were being inhibited by the clubs financial restraints. This kind of got me sad, Because it means that even a season packed 30,750 Amex wouldn't fund a sqaud that can challenge for the premiership.

Gus claims to be happy with the situation, Otherwise he would be at home playing golf. So he's not going to walk just yet.

I know most of us know this to be true. But I just hope that with this in mind, people wouldn't get there expectations too high.

This interview certainly dropped mine considerably.

So why spunk his budget on Wing backs? He needs to get his priorities sorted. We would have been better-off getting "solid" full backs, and a decent striker.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Good to hear and the only future is a sustainable one. Also with the future training ground and academy facilities I would like to think one day we will be developing our own stars of the future rather than simply buying them in

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
So why spunk his budget on Wing backs? He needs to get his priorities sorted. We would have been better-off getting "solid" full backs, and a decent striker.

''getting solid full backs'' ...they cheap then? ''decent striker'' that cheap too? Nah..i'll see how it all pans out before casting judgement

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

Where does he state that Wing backs have eaten up part of the budget?

Why are you ALWAYS negative?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I'll be more than happy with what we've got once Hoskins & Buckley are fit again. Give Buckley a go up front as well. May be the solution.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Gus landed on his feet with us having TB and a new stadium behind him, he then made good on his promise to get us to the champ in time for the Amex. He has the perfect platform here if he succeeds so do we - it's a win/win.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Good to hear and the only future is a sustainable one. Also with the future training ground and academy facilities I would like to think one day we will be developing our own stars of the future rather than simply buying them in

Nice thought. Reckon Dunk, El-Abd, JFC etc are all/could be stars already.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
This, so get real all you Gus knockers
To be fair gus has wasted a fair bit of money,i could write a list as long as my arm of player flops,injury prone players and loan players galore.Im glad bloom has pulled the plug to be fair.

Last season we spent around 6 million on transfer fee's alone,also had around 6 loan players,free transfers aswell.Thats a huge budget and going by that it's the safest option.

The downside is we're the most expensive to watch and have big crowds only to see dicker pulling the strings in midfield,the big crowds and fantastic stadium deserve a very good squad,but it doesn't always work that way:)

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

I share your frustration about a lack of a proven striker at this level, but I reckon it will come good. There's still a week until the window shuts, we can get 90 day loans after that, and although there's a very public official line on the budget, let's wait and see.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Nice thought. Reckon Dunk, El-Abd, JFC etc are all/could be stars already.

It's incredible that we have developed players of that calibre already and testament to the clubs development team. Imagine what it will be like when we have the facilities to attract the top youngsters from around the country. Very much a club on the up with a sensible and astute chairman.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here