Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Poyet

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Agreed, but I suppose Wood being a loan player meant it was a bit out of our hands. Has he not said somewhere too that he didn’t enjoy the spell with us?
He was on loan from West Brom who were a PL club at the time. He also went out to NZ on international duty and came back with a bit of an attitude.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He was on loan from West Brom who were a PL club at the time. He also went out to NZ on international duty and came back with a bit of an attitude.
And a very smackable face. I never liked him but his celebrations when he scored (twice?) for Millwall at the Amex summed up his shit attitude to a club he’d played for. Twat

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I seem to recall Poyet not wanting to resign him but that could be my old brain getting things wrong again?
No, you are spot on. That's why I mentioned the £2million release clause. If Poyet left he had to pay the club the money, and if he was sacked, the club had to pay him. It was why Bloom gave him permission to talk to Reading, but Poyet didn't want to go there.
That is why the club found misdemeanors to sack him on gross misconduct charges, so they didn't have to pay him the release money. The LMA are on record as saying the misdemeanors were part of normal everyday life at a football club, which is why Poyet was going to appeal.

Sunderland then came in for him, and he agreed to drop the appeal.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
To be fair to GP we were all really excited when we got CMS, it was a massive statement signing for us, particularly as West Ham and Leicester were both in for him.
And the first season he scored more goals in the Championship (11) to Murray's 4.
It was the following season 12/13 that Murray had a stormer getting Palace in the PL. Many aftertimers as THPP said.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
And the first season he scored more goals in the Championship (11) to Murray's 4.
It was the following season 12/13 that Murray had a stormer getting Palace in the PL. Many aftertimers as THPP said.
I have never been more gutted to see a player leave the Albion than when GM did, yes I was quite reeled in when CMS chose us but I never thought he was better than GM.

Let’s not forget that your mate was never a GM fan and called him one in ten Glenn!,

No after timing from me!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I have never been more gutted to see a player leave the Albion than when GM did, yes I was quite reeled in when CMS chose us but I never thought he was better than GM.

Let’s not forget that your mate was never a GM fan and called him one in ten Glenn!,

No after timing from me!
He did. He might be a mate but we don't agree about everything at football.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I don’t know whether it is aftertiming tbh. THPP calls everything aftertiming!!

The only reason you sell your 20+ goal striker in a title winning season is because a big fish has dangled a massive carrot. There’s no aftertiming in reflecting that at the time it seemed a nuts decision that it was us that actually let him go. Still grates on me now.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I still like gus, moved on now its almost 10 years, the first season I really really got into Brighton was 10/11 and he was a huge part of that, so I'll never hold the grudge. He never had any beef with the fans, just the board.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don’t know whether it is aftertiming tbh. THPP calls everything aftertiming!!

The only reason you sell your 20+ goal striker in a title winning season is because a big fish has dangled a massive carrot. There’s no aftertiming in reflecting that at the time it seemed a nuts decision that it was us that actually let him go. Still grates on me now.
He wasn't sold, as he was a free agent.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I know that’s why I said ‘let him go’. First bit was you wouldn’t sell him unless you had a big offer let alone letting him leave - even worse!!
Palace sold him to AFC for a paltry £4m, then AFC loaned him to us, a regret for those two undoubtably. We weren’t the only ones to ‘mess up’ where Glenn was concerned.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Palace sold him to AFC for a paltry £4m, then AFC loaned him to us, a regret for those two undoubtably. We weren’t the only ones to ‘mess up’ where Glenn was concerned.
Not sure as a big a regret as for us. They were both doing well in the PL, with GM we would have gone up within those first 2 Championship seasons.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Not sure as a big a regret as for us. They were both doing well in the PL, with GM we would have gone up within those first 2 Championship seasons.
Personally, I think we went up at about the right time. The squad was stronger, the mentality was steelier (as a result of the heartbreaks) and the infrastructure was in place. If we'd have gone up beforehand, I think we'd have been back down shortly afterwards.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here