Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
There were 137 managerial changes at other clubs during his tenure as manager. There's no loyalty from fans or the board towards managers. Remember Jimmy Melia, Steve Gritt, Russell Slade? They were all sacked a few months after achieving memorable things for the Albion.

Many of those changes were enforced and I certainly wouldn't criticise any Manager making the next step up, that's progress and it happens in most environments.

The way Poyet went about it was disingenuous and disrespectful. No problem with him having ambition and moving on but the manner in which he chose to do it means he has no place in my hall of fame

I recognise opinions are divided on this and there's no right or wrong. Perhaps it's a matter of what one draws the the line of professionalism and integrity, but for sure Poyet is pretty unique in the way he went about pursuing his ambitions

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Many of those changes were enforced and I certainly wouldn't criticise any Manager making the next step up, that's progress and it happens in most environments.

The way Poyet went about it was disingenuous and disrespectful. No problem with him having ambition and moving on but the manner in which he chose to do it means he has no place in my hall of fame

I recognise opinions are divided on this and there's no right or wrong. Perhaps it's a matter of what one draws the the line of professionalism and integrity, but for sure Poyet is pretty unique in the way he went about pursuing his ambitions

Neither Melia, Gritt or Slade's exits were enforced though.

There's no respect from fans to managers or players, just look at the comments made here on NSC about McGhee, Slade, Adams, Gritt, Murray, Barnes, Conway and many others, who fell out of favour and whose head was wanted on a spike.

I don't seek or expect respect from managers or players. I agree with you entirely that Poyet could have managed his exit with more grace, but I was more angry that night with the players who failed to put in a performance than him.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
All of this.

Ignore the immature children [MENTION=19107]wakeytom[/MENTION] - plenty of us are grown up enough to acknowledge what a PHENOMENAL job Gus did here, and how that FAR FAR outweighs the manner of his exit.

Completely transformed this club from top to bottom. Best BHA manager in my lifetime but an absolute country mile.

Very, very well said.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Err YES? Plenty on here HATED his style of management and many were often saying he'll get "found out" any day now etc.

Hyperbole. Plenty? Hated? Sure some found his style very one dimensional, boring even sometimes but I don't recall comments that he was a poor manager,

You are as over the top in your adulation as others are in their slagging off of the way Poyet tried to engineer a move to the Premier League.

Most are more balanced and appreciate what Gus did whilst seeing his and his styles short comings. Very very few, if any, think he was a poor manager though.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Gus is a good manager and I loved the way he got us to play. I don't think there would be one sane Brighton fan the would have begrudged him a move to a prem team, if he did it in a respectable way.

But what pissed off me was the lack of respect he showed the club and our chairman in a number of interviews. Anyone listening would have thought that our success was solely down to him. He had the biggest budget of any Brighton manager. He had a chairman that backed him to hilt with a new contract that he asked for in the middle of 10 game run without a win. Yet he made out that a guy who spent £100 million on a new stadium and new training ground as well as given him his first chance in management with a sizeable budget, was some tightwad that was trying stifle his career. His interview after the palace game was one of many that grated.

Where we are today is only a small part down to Poyet. It has more to with Dick Knight, Tony bloom and every fans that never gave up. If Tony had not employed Gus, he would have employed some else who would have changed the way we played because that is what he wanted and he has continued it with the employment of Oscar.

Do I want to see him fail at Sunderland? Maybe a little. Do I hate him? No.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Hyperbole. Plenty? Hated? Sure some found his style very one dimensional, boring even sometimes but I don't recall comments that he was a poor manager,

You are as over the top in your adulation as others are in their slagging off of the way Poyet tried to engineer a move to the Premier League.

Most are more balanced and appreciate what Gus did whilst seeing his and his styles short comings. Very very few, if any, think he was a poor manager though.

Is it over the top when you consider he is easily the best BHA manager in my lifetime, ever in some people's opinion?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I think that he was great but stil doesnt compare with Mullery on achievement.

Agreed. Not even close to Mullery's achievement. He would have had to take Albion up to the top flight and keep them there for two seasons to equal Mullery's achievement.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Is it over the top when you consider he is easily the best BHA manager in my lifetime, ever in some people's opinion?

Gus came to the club at the best time for any manager, Mark McGhee did a fantastic job and with little resources got us to the Championship. Dean Wilkins did a great job taking us to 7th in League One. Had both of them had the funds and stadium to move into they would have equally made a good fight of it in the Championship I'm sure.

Some people on here think that it was only Brighton who have ever got promoted from League One, but three teams go up every year.

Yeovil and Bournemouth are great examples of teams who have won promotion with little funds so it's not hard to believe that Poyet wasn't the only manager who could get us to the Championship.

Out of all the managers we have had in the last 20 years Gus has certainly had it the easiest and all on a plate for him. I don't buy the if it wasn't for him we wouldn't be here now because quite clearly we would.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It was my auto correct, but thank you for the praise. I love that word and you calling me that makes me feel proud!

-iza isn't an Americanism and perfectly acceptable in the English language - it's been around for centuries. Realize is perfectly acceptable and recognized in the Oxford English dictionaries.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Gus came to the club at the best time for any manager, Mark McGhee did a fantastic job and with little resources got us to the Championship. Dean Wilkins did a great job taking us to 7th in League One. Had both of them had the funds and stadium to move into they would have equally made a good fight of it in the Championship I'm sure.

Some people on here think that it was only Brighton who have ever got promoted from League One, but three teams go up every year.

Yeovil and Bournemouth are great examples of teams who have won promotion with little funds so it's not hard to believe that Poyet wasn't the only manager who could get us to the Championship.

Out of all the managers we have had in the last 20 years Gus has certainly had it the easiest and all on a plate for him. I don't buy the if it wasn't for him we wouldn't be here now because quite clearly we would.

You are forgetting he didn't just get us promoted but he started in the relegation zone. McGhee took over when we were still in a playoff position. Poyet took us up within 18 months, then got us into 4th which was our highest position for 30 years.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I won't and many others won't. Don't presume that some on here speak for the majority.

Gus was a breath of fresh air who gave us some pride and passion back into our club. After the Micky Adams disaster and the way the Slade era finished, he, together with our chairman (note TOGETHER) gave me a club to be proud of again.

A club legend and our best ever manager.

Apart from Mullery...

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Gus came to the club at the best time for any manager, Mark McGhee did a fantastic job with a team built by Steve Coppell & Mickey Adams and with little resources got us to the Championship. Dean Wilkins did a great job taking us to 7th in League One. Had both of them had the funds and stadium to move into they would have equally made a good fight of it in the Championship I'm sure.

I've changed that for you. FWIW I agree with everything else you've put...Wendy was royally stitched up by the club and I think would have done wonders with us by now.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You've convinced yourself that any manager would have got us up?

That is ludicrous presumption on an absurd level.

Not really. With the backing Gus got, the manager would have to be pretty poor to fail to get us up, i.e. of a level similar to Hinshelwood. And, yes, Gus IS a good manager.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Gus is a good manager and I loved the way he got us to play. I don't think there would be one sane Brighton fan the would have begrudged him a move to a prem team, if he did it in a respectable way.

But what pissed off me was the lack of respect he showed the club and our chairman in a number of interviews. Anyone listening would have thought that our success was solely down to him. He had the biggest budget of any Brighton manager. He had a chairman that backed him to hilt with a new contract that he asked for in the middle of 10 game run without a win. Yet he made out that a guy who spent £100 million on a new stadium and new training ground as well as given him his first chance in management with a sizeable budget, was some tightwad that was trying stifle his career. His interview after the palace game was one of many that grated.

Where we are today is only a small part down to Poyet. It has more to with Dick Knight, Tony bloom and every fans that never gave up. If Tony had not employed Gus, he would have employed some else who would have changed the way we played because that is what he wanted and he has continued it with the employment of Oscar.

Do I want to see him fail at Sunderland? Maybe a little. Do I hate him? No.

Both spot on IMHO.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Not really. With the backing Gus got, the manager would have to be pretty poor to fail to get us up, i.e. of a level similar to Hinshelwood. And, yes, Gus IS a good manager.

Russell Slade got the same backing from Tony Bloom, and was by no means even close to the healthiest budget in that division.

Gus got us up because he managed to choose - for the most part - the right players for the style he wanted, who fitted in and played well. We played a style that was superior to everyone else in the division, and in a way which we hadn't seen before.

It wouldn't be 'any manager' that could have got us up.

At what point before the start of that season did anyone say '... we're going to get promoted, irrespective of who our manager is...'?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Can you name me one manager who got a team from a relegation zone in November to promotion the following season?

I've just checked the table for 5th Nov 2009 & we were in 21st place. He moved us up 40 places in the Football League.

Last edited:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
You are forgetting he didn't just get us promoted but he started in the relegation zone. McGhee took over when we were still in a playoff position. Poyet took us up within 18 months, then got us into 4th which was our highest position for 30 years.

and did it with wonderful football.

also, unless I'm mistaken, McGhee took over when we were top of the league. [Or at least, Coppell left us when we were top of the league.]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here