Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet starting to feel some pressure?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I understand that point, but if the best 20mins the team has ever played didn't result in a goal then there is something wrong?

Scoring goals at the right time is a key skill, you won't get very far without that. If its an 'annoyingly regular occurrence' then that isn't bad luck IMO.

Tell that to Arsenal.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
For all Gus's faults I can't think of one manager who would have accepted the Albion job then or now who would have attracted the number of quality players that he has to this club. Without those players we would still be playing in L1 and only dreaming of what we currently seem to take for granted

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
They do seem invincible at the moment, a lot of investment and this year the three teams that came down have been awful.

They always blow it,would not bet against us repeating last seasons result there..

Between The Lines

Feb 15, 2013
Hove
For all Gus's faults I can't think of one manager who would have accepted the Albion job then or now who would have attracted the number of quality players that he has to this club. Without those players we would still be playing in L1 and only dreaming of what we currently seem to take for granted

I think this is what I was trying to refer to. He has done a great job, but at what point does the Focus turn to the present/future? Are you happy with him now and for the next year or so?

No reason not to judge his Championship performance irrespective of the undoubted great work he did in L1.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Pretty sure their fans already know! That's why they never win anything and why Wenger is under extreme pressure!

One could argue he inherited a side with "strong" leaders on the pitch,Bold,Adams,Dixon,Keown,Viera and that they don't have that now,i can see you drawing comparison to Gus but who is the favourite defender of Gus Poyet's at Brighton?

I will give you a clue........he is not the best technical player,but like his coach,he is very much a leader.........?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
They do seem invincible at the moment, a lot of investment and this year the three teams that came down have been awful.

That's the key. There is a direct correlation between wages and success in the Championship. Transfer fees are only a very small part of the budget but weekly wages are the sign of how well a club will do. Cardiff have been hanging around in this division for 9 years but when they get far eastern investment in, they can build a squad capable of winning it.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Although we haven't had consistancy in terms of results, I think we have had consistantly good performances this season. Certainly remember more games we deserved to get more points from than games we were dire and snuck something. Longer term that's a good sign, just Gus' job to make us more 'lucky'? Or play to our 'potential'

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Although we haven't had consistancy in terms of results, I think we have had consistantly good performances this season. Certainly remember more games we deserved to get more points from than games we were dire and snuck something. Longer term that's a good sign, just Gus' job to make us more 'lucky'? Or play to our 'potential'

This is why in my opinion we could finish lower than last season and still be improving

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

He's done OK, but nothing more. 'If you build it, they will come'. That goes for players and managers as well as match attendees (can't quite bring myself to call them 'fans'). I just think back to the days when NSC was fretting itself into a right old state over the prospect of McGhee leaving. Seem to recall that the glorious Dick Knight, as ever candid beyond belief to whoever he happened to be talking to at the time, be they fan or fellow chairman, said the equivalent of 'Meh! Whenever I advertise the job of manager I get a list of household names applying as long as my arm, why should I worry about McGhee leaving? :shrug: ' Same as it ever was. Poyet in his entire career will never work for such a patient sugar daddy chairman. So he'd better get used to the pressure, because this is as good as it gets for him. To quote the great songstress Taylor Swift: 'Like, EVER'.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He's done OK, but nothing more. 'If you build it, they will come'. That goes for players as well as match attendances. I just think back to the days when NSC was fretting itself into a right old state over the prospect of McGhee leaving. Seem to recall that the glorious Dick Knight, as ever candid beyond belief to whoever he happened to be talking to at the time, be they fan or fellow chairman, said the equivalent of 'Meh! Whenever I advertise the job of manager I get a list of household names applying as long as my arm, why should I worry about McGhee leaving? :shrug: ' Same as it ever was. Poyet in his entire career will never work for such a patient sugar daddy chairman. So he'd better get used to the pressure, because this is as good as it gets for him. To quote the great songstress Taylor Swift: 'Like, EVER'.

If I remember rightly, Nsc was wanting McGhee out long before he was sacked so weren't fretting at all about who would replace him.

D

Deleted member 2719

He arrived when we were in the relegation zone of League One with the new stadium 20 months away. He was under a lot of pressure, first of all to keep us up that season, and then to get us promoted to the Championship, which he did with a record number of points.
People tend to dismiss that feat but it is not easy to get out of League 1 especially with your first club. Managers such as Karl Robinson and Danny Wilson have been trying for years.

Your right, but would Gus have got us promoted with out Murray and would Mickey have got us promoted without Zamora?

Were they both lucky or are they both born to be top managers?

Right place .........right time maybe?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Your right, but would Gus have got us promoted with out Murray and would Mickey have got us promoted without Zamora?

Gus will be a top manager-Micky has proved his level............sometimes in football as in life,being beneath ones true level can stifle your progress.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Murray, Barnes and Bennett. Slade had 2 of those players but we couldn't buy a win for 3 months. We were in the relegation zone as I pointed out earlier. Our defence was leaking goals like nobody's business and the first thing Gus did was to get Calderon in.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Gus will be a top manager-Micky has proved his level............sometimes in football as in life,being beneath ones true level can stifle your progress.

Gus reminds me a bit of Leon Knight. Both hang around top players and ex-players so much that they sort of assume they have a God-given right to a job at that level and its only a matter of time. Sadly, sometimes you're destined to just end up scrubbing around at the likes of Swindon, no matter how illustrious your career as a player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here