Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet speaks out about the JT affair (or rather he doesn't)

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Article in the Evening Standard with our Gus talking about how we really shouldn't be making such a big deal about Terry's misdemeanors.

Gus Poyet: Let John Terry stay as England captain | Football

Have to say I'm with him on this one. The whole shitstorm that has accompanied this story is ludicrous. If he was going to lose the captaincy then it should have been for his thuggish off field behaviour that has been highlighted in the past. I don't see why this having an affair bollocks should make any difference to his England career.

It's nice to see our manager quite often pops up in the nationals or on telly because he's a genuinely respected big name.

And as for Terry to be honest if I was earning the sort of cash he does then I'd probably shag around as much as I f***ing could too. In fact I don't really understand why so many professional footballers get tied down so young. Why not just behave like a total slag until your playing career is over? There's never going to be any shortage of offers and then if you want to settle down you can do so once you're out of the limelight sitting in your country manor on top of a mountain of banknotes.

As has been pointed out there are plenty of countries where a story like this wouldn't even count as news. What really pisses me off is the way the tabloid press always seem so keen to expose our top players in the run up to a major tournament. They moan like hell when we don't win any trophies but seem to try their best to disrupt the team by outing these young millionaires as rogues as soon as they're famous enough to warrant column inches for their off the field antics.

I don't condone what he's done but as Gus points out infidelity isn't actually a crime so why should it be anyone else's business?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
he was on 5 live the breakfast show this morning

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
To be honest whatever John Terry has done in his private life, as long as it's legal it's his business. I am only concerned with what he does in an England shirt which has nothing to do with his morals. Clearly we have got too much of the American infuenced Moral Majority here. Or rather, it's just a way to sell more tabloids.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I am only concerned with what he does in an England shirt which has nothing to do with his morals.

But it isn't that simple, is it? A captain has to be a leader and command the trust and respect of all of his teammates.

Could you trust and respect the man who had an affair with your girlfriend? And let's be clear, he knew she was your girlfriend, it's not like he met her randomly and it just happened to turn out that way. He deliberately broke the bond of friendship with you, and slept with your girlfriend. Could you trust and respect that man?

Personally, I'd have trouble respecting and trusting a man who had slept with my friend's girlfriend, let alone my own.

John Terry won't have the trust and respect of the entire england team, which means he won't be able to do his job properly.

That is why his captaincy is an issue. Not the morals of it, the ability to be the captain he needs to be.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
Could you trust and respect the man who had an affair with your girlfriend? And let's be clear, he knew she was your girlfriend, it's not like he met her randomly and it just happened to turn out that way. He deliberately broke the bond of friendship with you, and slept with your girlfriend. Could you trust and respect that man?

The thing is though, and I'll have to admit at this point I've not actually read any of the tabloid stories concerning the sordid details, BUT every piece I have seen or heard on the matter has always referred to the affair being with Wayne Bridge's EX girlfriend. Nobody ever says "with Bridge's girlfriend of the time" which makes me wonder whether it was only JT who did the cheating, on his own lady wife, whilst Bridge is just bitter that Terry was having a go on his former lover.

Now admittedly that would seem unlikely given the stink Bridge has apparently made but if this isn't the case then why aren't the reports confirming that Bridge and Terry's Mrs were both being deceived whilst in their respective relationships with their partners?

Anyway, why don't old Bridgey and Mrs JT just have a fling to even things up?

Surely this would be the fairest outcome

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Anyway, why don't old Bridgey and Mrs JT just have a fling to even things up?

Surely this would be the fairest outcome

Reminds me of a storyline in neighbours where todd had an affari behind his girlfriend's back, while she had an affair with the other woman's bloke. When they found out they just swapped partners and remained friends...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Personally, I'd have trouble respecting and trusting a man who had slept with my friend's girlfriend, let alone my own.

John Terry won't have the trust and respect of the entire england team, which means he won't be able to do his job properly.

That is why his captaincy is an issue. Not the morals of it, the ability to be the captain he needs to be.

small but significant point, as far as i can tell Bridge and the missus had already split up. yesturdays paper said (though god knows their source) Lampard, Gerrard and Rooney have shunned the idea of taking on the captaincy under the circumstances. seems to me like there maybe more to it, just because we only found out last week, maybe it was common kowledge in the dressing room? And this has little to do with the ability to captain and mostly the moral rightousness of the media hypocrits that publish similar tales daily under the guise of "news" .

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
But it isn't that simple, is it? A captain has to be a leader and command the trust and respect of all of his teammates.

I disagree to sum degree. Captain of a team needs to command respect from your teamates knowing they will give you 100% when called for (although why aren't they giving a 100% in the first place!). Captain of the national team also means you should be, to some degree, a role model. I am not saying you have to be perfect, but shagging the mother of you friends kid just weeks after they have split up when you are married yourself with young twins, in my book means you are not fit to represent the nation as captain of of our national team. Having said that, if he relinquishes the captaincy then he could still play for the team. However, I suspect there is more dirt heading JT's way as the 'lady' in the middle has offers from the press to spill the beans.

As I understand it, he has said he will not resign which puts a lot of pressure on Capello just when we don't need it. If Capello says he must go then JT looks a bigger pratt than he already is with a big chunk of professional egg on his face. If Capello says stay, it could look like he has avoided a confrontation with JT and that undermines his authority.

I thought it was only the Dutch national team that pressed the self destruct button just before major tournaments!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I really don't see what Bridge has got his scrotum in such a twist for over this, being as we're talking about an ex girlfriend of his. Christ, they wern't even married. Who is Bridge to dictate who his ex-bird can play hide the sausage with now ? What, were they "on a break" ? Per-lease.

John Terry is a scumbag, but then thats hardly news. His mums a thief, his dads a drugdealer, so its hardly surprising when you give a scrote like him £160k a week he's just going to act like an even bigger arsehole than he already is. If he couldn't knock a ball about, he'd be in Wormwood Scrubs by now.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Gus says let's not make a big deal of it - over a whole page of a London newspaper.

What I want to know is Andrew Crofts' take on this. I mean, Gus gave him the captaincy partly on a character reference from Terry. So are the Albion WAGs safe with Crofty?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
JT is a tart. Just another Chelsea girl.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
I really don't see what Bridge has got his scrotum in such a twist for over this, being as we're talking about an ex girlfriend of his. Christ, they wern't even married. Who is Bridge to dictate who his ex-bird can play hide the sausage with now ? What, were they "on a break" ? Per-lease.

John Terry is a scumbag, but then thats hardly news. His mums a thief, his dads a drugdealer, so its hardly surprising when you give a scrote like him £160k a week he's just going to act like an even bigger arsehole than he already is. If he couldn't knock a ball about, he'd be in Wormwood Scrubs by now.

Absolute TOSH Easy.

John terry is on £170k a week

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here