Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Poyet on Poogate

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I will never forget watching Brighton at Plymouth on the day that our players managed to play the Poyet way, I was sitting there with my tounge hanging out.
Regarding the poo, it was definately not me because if it was they would still be trying to scrape it off today, the one I did this morning needed a laser to get rid of it and would have choked a Donkey.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Poyet was good for us. Without him we would still be hoofing the ball straight to players dressed in different colour shirts. Up until he started we were mostly woeful to watch.
Without Poyet we'd have got another manager to get us to play proper football, thanks to Tony's investment.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Without Poyet we'd have got another manager to get us to play proper football, thanks to Tony's investment.
Bloom took a punt on an inexperienced manager with Poyet who had no real track record, and it paid off spectacularly until the glass ceiling caught up with him. His second punt on Garcia was good but remained a work in progress when it ended. His third punt on Hyppia was disasterous. Hughton was the first tried and tested choice, born out the very real threat that we could easily have ended up in Division One and effectively destroyed Bloom's investment, but it only succeeded because Bloom was finally convinced he had to spend some serious money on players to break the glass ceiling identified by Poyet..

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
it only succeeded because Bloom was finally convinced he had to spend some serious money on players to break the glass ceiling identified by Poyet..
Nah, I doubt we were higher in the list of spenders under Chris as under Gus.

Things didn't go our way under our first full season with Chris, and we just missed out. With a bit more luck we could have gone up automatically with Gus. There was no ceiling, Gus was being a douche.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Things didn't go our way under our first full season with Chris, and we just missed out. With a bit more luck we could have gone up automatically with Gus. There was no ceiling, Gus was being a douche.

Bringing in a sports director was the 'ceiling'. John Stephenson only lasted months (not surprising after his Bergkamp blunder) then Burke. Burke & Poyet were never going to agree. I believe Burke was the reason Oscar left, & contributed to Hyppia's failure, which was why he was sacked before Hughton took over.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Bloom took a punt on an inexperienced manager with Poyet who had no real track record, and it paid off spectacularly until the glass ceiling caught up with him. His second punt on Garcia was good but remained a work in progress when it ended. His third punt on Hyppia was disasterous. Hughton was the first tried and tested choice, born out the very real threat that we could easily have ended up in Division One and effectively destroyed Bloom's investment, but it only succeeded because Bloom was finally convinced he had to spend some serious money on players to break the glass ceiling identified by Poyet..

What players? Did I miss us spunk a load of money on players?

As far as my memory serves, our record was still 4M (inclusive of incentives) at the time of our promotion, which was double our previous record of 4-5 years prior.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Bringing in a sports director was the 'ceiling'. John Stephenson only lasted months (not surprising after his Bergkamp blunder) then Burke. Burke & Poyet were never going to agree. I believe Burke was the reason Oscar left, & contributed to Hyppia's failure, which was why he was sacked before Hughton took over.
No. The ceiling was that the albion could never get any higher than Gus had taken us.

I've never heard such a disrespectful comment about the club from a manager.

He deserved to be sacked on the spot for that interview.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

This.

TB bankrolled a very highly paid squad of players selected by Poyet, but it was never enough to satisfy the politicking manager actively interested in jobs elsewhere.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I thought everyone agreed that Burke wasn’t successful in his role. Recruitment from the day he left has been on a different planet.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The other candidates at the time were the Stockport manager & Steve Cotterill!
So? I wasn't suggesting we'd have been good straight away as we were with Gus, but the accusation was that "Without him we would still be hoofing the ball straight to players dressed in different colour shirts."

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
We all moan about football being full of dull personalities who play every interview with a straight bat. Here is a bloke that had personality and honestly told us what he thought about stuff. Obviously it was untenable for him to carry on as manager after that but do we really have to keep moaning on about him years after the event.

He was good value and was honest about what he thought, wrong, and we all knew it but honest. For that i respect him and wish him the best of luck in the future. Are we really this brittle that we need to hold on to bitter feelings because a bloke had an opinion about both the clubs potential and his own that we disagreed with.

I guess we get the personalities we deserve and the kind of treatment his is given is the reason that manager's interviews are so guarded, boring and PR planned. Smacks of that snowflake stuff to me.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here