Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet NOT to Reading thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm just pleased and relieved he's staying. Everyone back on the Gus Bus! :clap2:

Now can we get back to laughing at Palace? There's over a full week to enjoy the aftermath of the St Patrick's Day Massacre in. Who's Glad Ulloa?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
There have been tensions at the club during Poyet's time in charge over the sales of players such as the transfer of Craig Noone to Championship rivals Cardiff City last summer.

What tensions?

Quite. I can believe that the decision to sell Noone may have caused some friction, in the same way that Gus is never slow to point out that he doesn't have the division's biggest budget. But you could call that 'creative tension' really. It seems to me Poyet would understand why Bloom keeps the purse strings tight and will accept offers, and he has been backed substantially on some big signings too. On top of all that, his 5 year contract was sealed at a time when the team was on a dreadful run which was a neat way of proving the Chairman's trust in him for the future (and clever PR timing). Plus Bloom will even allow him to speak to a PL club the size of Reading. And, if they get along so badly, why on earth would he stay?

Based on those assumptions, I imagine that compared to most owner-manager relationships in football, theirs is about as good as it gets these days.

Of course, as the guy from the Independent suggested on Twitter, he knows something that all of us Albion followers don't, in which case his slant is perfectly justified. Alternatively, he's talking out of his arse.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Of course, as the guy from the Independent suggested on Twitter, he knows something that all of us Albion followers don't, in which case his slant is perfectly justified. Alternatively, he's talking out of his arse.

I love the way the current board conducts it's business. It renders pretty much anyone who comes on here claiming inside knowledge as irrelevant and even journalists have to make guesses until anything official is released.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I've got a few friends who are long-standing Reading fans from the old Elm Park days, but the building of the MadStad and the later elevation to the Premier League attracted a horde of JCLs who knew nothing of the history of the club, and it is these and their new blue and white scarves (and their sudden disappearance after relegation - and equally mysterious re-appearance this season) who make it feel like an artificial sort of club. And all those empty blue seats.

We've always had a history of big crowds that Reading never had and we believed that they'd come back once the Amex was built. Some day, of course, when we've been relegated from the Premier League, we may see the same sea of empty seats, but I still think we have the bigger natural fanbase and core support. We needed the Amex to fit everyone in. They needed promotion to fill the MadStad - that's the difference.

Spot on. They're the epitome of the new breed of Premier League club. One big advantage is a position right next to the M4, not far from London and easily accessible from a wide area. So get the product right and the floaters arrive en masse.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
Need to get a few more people having a pop at him on twitter. The kid needs to learn...... Muppet !!!!

I used to work with Sam when were both starting out in journalism and he was a top lad. You could see even then that he had the drive and ambition to make it on a national newspaper. Saying that, his original story was largely garbage.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
It's heartening to learn that apparently there was no real chance of GP going up the road, but I just wish to God the club could've kept us supporters informed about the SP. It's little wonder that speculation quickly spins out of control when those who know the real facts keep schtum. I know this is the norm in football these days, but it doesn't mean we have to like or accept it. Hummmmph. :annoyed:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't see how people can be annoyed he considered going.
And we don't even know he did consider it:
Gus: 'I don't want it'
Tony: 'Excellent, delighted to hear it. Find out how much their planning on spending in the summer to get back up though'

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Well it does go to show that Reading have timed the sacking of McDermott very badly. If they'd done it earlier Gus might have had more confidence in keeping them up and if they waited until the summer then if we don't get promoted, Gus might fancy his chances of having a better shot with Reading then. They might be better off with just the assistant until the summer.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I used to work with Sam when were both starting out in journalism and he was a top lad. You could see even then that he had the drive and ambition to make it on a national newspaper. Saying that, his original story was largely garbage.

There was one thing that stood out as speculation in that article for me. The spurious claim that negotiations were so advanced that the two clubs had agreed £2.5m compensation. Firstly, it has always been clear that that is the starting point for negotiations i.e. either you can pay off his contract or not. If not, no talks. Secondly, reading made it clear that they were meeting internally on Wednesday to discuss replacements. They had initial talks with Gus who then went abroad.The idea that in that time they had reached advanced stages of talks is ludicrous.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
And we don't even know he did consider it:
Gus: 'I don't want it'
Tony: 'Excellent, delighted to hear it. Find out how much their planning on spending in the summer to get back up though'

This. The only thing we know for sure is that he's staying.

And that's fine by me :albion:

Loadicus Trux

Jan 12, 2012
When the time is right, I for one, will have no problem wishing Gus well, when, or if, he gets his big chance with a "big club".

But, after nicking Steve Sidwell and Steve Coppell, I would have been seriously annoyed if he had gone there.

To quote a Reading fan on that biscuit thing, "It'll be humilliating if Poyet turns us down".

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Sky Sports website really is up to date. Posted 10 mins ago...

Sky sources understand that Brighton boss Gus Poyet has turned down the Reading manager's job.

Well done Sky.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Worth remembering next time we hear the words "Sky sources...". Why do that on every story? Devalues any real exclusive. But I suppose the average punter sucks it up and thinks they're always first.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
When the time is right, I for one, will have no problem wishing Gus well, when, or if, he gets his big chance with a "big club".

But, after nicking Steve Sidwell and Steve Coppell, I would have been seriously annoyed if he had gone there.

To quote a Reading fan on that biscuit thing, "It'll be humilliating if Poyet turns us down".

Agree

Reading
rofl.gif

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Loosely translated this means:

"You could see even then that he had the lack of morals and integrity needed to make it on a national newspaper. When your editor says you need 200 words by 1800 and you have absolutely nothing - just make it up"

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Good old Beeb...hehe!!

They print an awful lot of bullshit too.

Not forgetting they also protect child molesters and other sex offenders in their employment....

...and promote terrorism against sovereign states!

A fine institution indeed!

Actually that is a perfectly fine point. Good old Beeb within the confines of this story only.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Didn't we have a bit of rivalry with Reading in the 1950's ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here