Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet NOT to Reading thread

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Can i be the first to start a completely and utterly 100% made up rumour: Gus has fallen out with Barber over his REDUCED budget! Barber out... Gus in.

Half Man Half Biscuit

Oct 10, 2003
Hove
Come off it - there was absolutely nothing new in the Indy piece. gus has been sounding off about budget restraints in every press conference since we were promoted. Remember him saying that if he had Cardiff or Blackburn's budgets he would guarantee promotion and pay back his salary if he didn't deliver it?

Anyone who knows newspapers will have a fair idea of what happened yesterday. The Independent sports editor - an Arsenal fan, as it happens - asked Sam Wallace to do something on the Poyet to Reading story, gave him a word count, and SW had to knock it out while simultaneously working on two England stories. He probably had a word with a few of the other hacks at the England press conference and then expanded the few facts he had with some hearsay and vague memories (for example Albion's "failure" to sign a new striker in January - really?).

99 percent of the time, no-one knows anything. Remember when Mourinho left Chelsea? Big story, right? And how many papers saw it coming. Not a single one.

FYI, the Independent's head of sport called someone with a closer knowledge of the BHA situation this morning to get some more accurate background.

I've just had an exchange with Sam Wallace on Twitter. He resents an inference that he made anything up. I also got out of him that Reading haven't spoken to anyone else - which is more than the Argus have told us - and that the deal is not done until it's done which doesn't tell us anything new but, taking all that at face value then:

1) There is a willingness on both sides to make the deal happen.
2) Only the contract details need finalising.
3) Zingarevich & Poyet have met and the former has approved the move.
4) We'll get nearly £2 in compensation.

If none of those four pointers are facts then I'll expect a Times-esque apology from The Independent. (Also, he does mention that we signed Ulloa in January if you read the whole article.)

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Looks like he's on his bike , just as he's grasped this rivalry malarkey as well . We just need olly to grasp it now :(

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
I'm not sure I would understand leaving for a relegation bound club (Gus is a long term prospect, not an emergency manager) at this stage in the season, especially as there is a distinct possibility that Reading go down and we somehow go up and then he'd look REALLY stupid.

All moot as I'm not convinced anything is really happening (other than speculation), Gus is probably minding his own business on holiday with his family, oblivious to all the commotion on here.

Just because Sky/Argus/Twitface is going loopy on it doesn't mean anything is happening, they're just trying to fill column inches/TV times.

Loadicus Trux

Jan 12, 2012
I've just had an exchange with Sam Wallace on Twitter. He resents an inference that he made anything up. I also got out of him that Reading haven't spoken to anyone else - which is more than the Argus have told us - and that the deal is not done until it's done which doesn't tell us anything new but, taking all that at face value then:

If none of those four pointers are facts then I'll expect a Times-esque apology from The Independent. (Also, he does mention that we signed Ulloa in January if you read the whole article.)

Blimey, the relationship between TB and GP must have really disintergrated if we are settling for £2 compensation. TB can't get rid of him quick enough!!:thumbsup:

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Jonny Fordham ‏@JonnyFordham 33m
Didn't say there is a press conference. People in Brighton seem to think Poyet might not move still - but money talks #readingfc

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
If poyet does go I for one will not forgive him complete tosser of a thing to do considering the stage of the season and its READING ffs, Chelsea or a top team I'd take and say fair play and good luck to him but **** me, READING? Will be all about the money if he does. (parachute payments wages ect)

But hey ho, the club will move on and we have our own identity now. Still don't think it will happen but if it does, sad day, but the club is bigger than gus.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade

It does now. It didn't earlier. Quick edit by the looks of things.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Re: Poyet to Reading thread, massively odds on, (maybe) in talks with them [merged]

Well clearly Gus hasn't said an immediate no to Reading, and I think the longer there is with no news, the more likely it is that he'll go.

Will be sad to lose him, but there's a lot of good replacements out there.

We need to move quick, 7.5 days to get a new striker in as well.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Getting bored of so many people saying "Well it looks certain that he's off". There is nothing on the internet that has concrete proof that Gus has even spoken to them yet.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
My activity on NSC today:-

**opens door**

"So, any actual news on what's happening?"

**surveys carnage**

"Never mind, I'm come back later"

**shakes head and shuts door**

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here