Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet Eyes Midfield Destroyer

Smithy24

Sep 1, 2009
From the Argus.
ALBION boss Gus Poyet could sign a midfield destroyer to bring the best out of Spanish star Vicente.

Poyet is considering strengthening his squad in the loan market after Saturday’s 3-1 defeat at Ipswich, the Seagulls’ third in four games in the Championship.

One of the areas he is looking at is stronger support for Vicente, who marked his full debut in a free role with a quality goal which gave Albion the lead early in the second half.

Poyet revealed to The Argus: “To play in that position he needs support behind him and we need to be stronger. Maybe we are not strong enough.

“We need to address that, because we are not aggressive in defence from the middle backwards so maybe we need a different kind of player who can destroy the opposition and give it to Vicente.

“He is going to get better and better and physically stronger. When you have that kind of player you need to be better and stronger behind him.”

Vicente’s 20-yard curler put Albion ahead against the run of play before two fine Michael Chopra strikes, either side of Ibrahima Sonko’s header from a corner, won the game for Ipswich.

The Seagulls are still fifth going into the international break but they have now leaked three goals in each of the last three games and taken one point from 12 against Leicester, Leeds, Crystal Palace and Ipswich, prompting Poyet to contemplate re-enforcements.

“It is something you have to address every month probably,” he said. “We were unbeaten for a month and we won one game in the last month. We have played against teams that were stronger.

“We don’t want to make a mistake and just go and get anyone but there are options, a few players that maybe if it is the right person we will bring in.”

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
That sounds encouraging. I wonder if that means Mr Dicker's number might be up then?

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
He's given the league 1 winning side players a go in the championship, and TBH they deserved a fair crack at this league. A fair few have now been found wanting to say the least and he knows full well he cannot carry on with the same players and expect to be anywhere near the top 6 - more like bottom 6 would be a fairer reflection. Thought his post match interview was very interesting and it has done nothing but uphold my admiration for him as a manager.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
I can remember being shot down in flames on here a few month's ago when i suggested getting Jimmy Bullard. He is the kind of player we desperately need. Obviously that cant happen now. We are just too light weight at the moment. We need a midfield hard man

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I can remember being shot down in flames on here a few month's ago when i suggested getting Jimmy Bullard. He is the kind of player we desperately need. Obviously that cant happen now. We are just too light weight at the moment. We need a midfield hard man

Jimmy Bullard is not a hard man, he is made of glass!

But I agree in your sentiment, we do need a nasty midfielder, I hate to say it but someone like Joey Barton/Karl Henry.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Jimmy Bullard is not a hard man, he is made of glass!

But I agree in your sentiment, we do need a nasty midfielder, I hate to say it but someone like Joey Barton/Karl Henry.

Hmmm - interesting! i wonder if they will fit in with gus's style of football.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
No one on the Wing ?

Paul Clark was the co-commentator on Saturday - maybe he could still do a job?

Another Paul Clark or another Danny Wilson ?

Or Danny Wilson II from Liverpool ?

But when el-Abd and Buckley are fit, maybe we have the players already ?

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Let's see what happens after the international break. Before the Liverpool game things were going well but the amount of games played in such a short time has taken it's toll. ALL WILL BE WELL again.

Your optimism is a breath of fresh air. Lets hope your right!

Im not a pessemist but from a realistic point of view Hoskins needs to play, Buckley needs to be fit quick and vincelot needs to replace Painter sharpish otherwise i can see more losses and none of us want that.

Magic Sponge

Jun 17, 2011
House In The Hill
I think we have enough midfielders already it's just that some of them need to step up and raise their game.
We need to see when El Abd is back if he is up to it or else I think a big centre half is required.
I also still think we need that forward for CMS to play off, perhaps Buckley is the man if we can keep him fit.
Whatever happens I trust Gus to get it right in the end as he is still learning as well.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Still think Dicker could be a good squad player. Harley has been the biggest let down for me so far

Maybe he could/will? I'd be very surprised if Harley totally gets the heave-ho though - bearing in mind he's only been here for 5 minutes. After a promising start, he ain't half gone downhill fast though. Maybe he just ain't gonna cut it here?

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
El Abd is a defender, Buckley an attacking midfielder so no. I think he's talking about an Andrew Crofts type. David Prutton could have done a job and, dare I say it, Shaun Derry, but obviously won't get him now but that's the sort of player I think Gus has in mind.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Maybe he could/will? I'd be very surprised if Harley totally gets the heave-ho though - bearing in mind he's only been here for 5 minutes. After a promising start, he ain't half gone downhill fast though. Maybe he just ain't gonna cut it here?

Thing is with Harley is that he was a gamble and an expensive one at that. He is completely unproven at Championship level owing to the fact he couldn't get in the Swansea team.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I think we have enough midfielders already it's just that some of them need to step up and raise their game.
We need to see when El Abd is back if he is up to it or else I think a big centre half is required.
I also still think we need that forward for CMS to play off, perhaps Buckley is the man if we can keep him fit.
Whatever happens I trust Gus to get it right in the end as he is still learning as well.

Wouldnt disagree with a word of that! good post

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I honestly think El-Abd in front of the defence, with Bridcutt, will strengthen the our centre quite effectively! Put Buckley back on the wing and Hoskins supporting CMS and we will fly again!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that either El Abd when fit or Vincelot playing alongside of Bridcut would provide the answer without additional midfielders being brought in but obviously Gus doesnt think so but I think the writing is on the wall for a number of players who perform that role.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I wish we had someone like Scott Parker

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here