Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet: end of term report

What grade would you give Poyet for this term (season)?

• A

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • A-

Votes: 44 18.6%
  • B+

Votes: 89 37.6%
  • B

Votes: 53 22.4%
  • B-

Votes: 23 9.7%
  • C+

Votes: 10 4.2%
  • C

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • C-

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • D+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D

• D-

• E+

• E

• Total voters

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
B+ but would have been higher if he hadn't made some strange comments during the season. Still delighted he is with us though.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
A-.

Took a squad that he mostly put together himself, made some good additions, got us in the top half of the Championship very comfortably at the first go. Minus because we didn't go up.

If we could add a "behaviour" column, I would put "satisfactory", because of the random outbursts at an incredibly loyal and vocal fanbase.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Very difficult to rate for me. He's young and learning ... but not seen a whole lot of evidence of learning. Not to say he isn't but not sure where it's manifesting itself.

Great first season, consolidated this season, but close season and next term will be the time when he can really shine and get an A if he's got the talent that many believe him to have

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
B for me,Top ten finish but two bad runs and a couple of strange selections and left it too late some times bringing on subs when things needed changing.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
+The signing of Vicente
+Beating Newcastle and Sunderland
+Most of his signings contributed well
+Top 10 finish
+Beating Southampton 3-0
+Late goals- the team is driven and doesn't give up without a fight
+Playing some more nice football

-Signings of Harley, Hoskins and CMS didn't really come off
-Strange unnecessary comments in the media (Suarez, fans booing etc)
-Weird team selections (Millwall home and West Ham away most notably)- the wonky formation does not work
-Losing to Palace
-Getting smashed 6-1 at Anfield on Sky
-Getting smashed 6-0 at Upton Park
-Awful run of form at the end of the season

B-

Last edited:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
If we could add a "behaviour" column, I would put "satisfactory", because of the random outbursts at an incredibly loyal and vocal fanbase.

Although some were justified. For example, reacting to the criticism of Barnes was bang on the money as was his reaction to some fans booing Gonzalez.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
B+ too.

10th is a great result, and I think Gus has worked hard this year – some people's expectations need a slight reality check. My only reasons for edging him down from A- are:
– as others have said, perhaps a touch much tinkering
– a few slightly odd personnel decisions (signing Harley, offloading Hoskins), though you're always going to have your share...
– speaking out over the Suarez affair, just didn't think it was needed really

I'd agree with that but would give him a B.

I don't subscribe to the view that you mark him higher just because he is young and inexperienced. A mistake is a mistake whether that be in team selection or public relations. I also don't agree with the comments that our expectations were 'artificially' raised by the good start to the season on the basis that we were still very well placed to secure a play-off place with 10 games to go. History will show that we have had a good season having just been promoted but we had opportunities that we failed to capitalise on, whether that be the players or, as is my opinion, team selection. What is important is that Poyet recognizes, whether publicly or not, the mistakes he has made and that next season tries not to replicate them. He won't become the best manager overnight but as long as he moves in that direction and the team and club prosper then the vast majority of fans will be satisfied.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
B for me. I think mid-table would have been a C. Top Ten a B and anything in play-offs an A.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
B- We did about as well as I had hoped for, but having got us into a playoff position he somewhat lost the plot. Too much tinkering with team selection which was sometimes bizarre.

gotaspareticket

Jul 3, 2011
A- for me. If you take the long view, he's been a key part of the club's transformation and this has been a thrilling season (Palace & West Ham aside).
Without pandering to stereotypes, we need to take into account his Hispanic characteristics and ride with the emotional outbursts (my wife is Italian).
I'd just like more goals next season, please.

el_ciddy

Aug 26, 2011
Was a tough choice between A- and B+. Great overall position, but some wasted opportunities I feel but then I look at our results and position again and went for A-

Dec 27, 2010
B+ for me. Progressing nicely, could do with a strong midfield general, felt that Barnes had to drop back too much and CMS was too isolated but we did the most with what is a mediocre squad at this level.
However the signing of Vicente was a true masterstroke, best player I have ever seen at the Albion.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
B

+10th place finish
+Some entertaining football
+Positive first year at the amex
+Vicente, Buckley signings
+Victories over Sunderland and Newcastle
+Looking through the sensationalism of the reporting on his comments, he is usually fair and honest with his comments.
+efforts to create an identity and way of playing that is usually entertaining or intriguing

-Substitutions seem a little formulaic at times, and can come too late
-10 game winless run during which there seemed obvious issues (particularly backing off giving opposition too much me and space on the all)
-Only one home league win in games that didn't start at 3pm on a saturday (10 games)
-only 10 points out of 36 v top six teams
-13 points from 39 at the end of the season (in large part due to the performances, not the quality of the team)

Last edited:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
B+. Shame about the end to the season but not that surprised given the run in we had. Definitely over achieved given the budget he has and two good cup runs both ended by Liverpool (who ended winners in one and may win the other). Some poor performances but some fantastic games too especially Derby home which was an incredible performance. Looking forward to seeing who we can bring in this summer ready for a top 6 push next season.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
A - Surely a far better season than any of us expected

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
Solid B, as well.

Enough scope to improve and learn, but recognising the work that's been done.
Agreed. Almost a A- / B+ ( I gave him a B )
A few odd selections and a couple of disastrous matches have cost Gus a higher grade. He's still learning though, so totally forgivable. I, for one am really looking forward to next season and have no doubt Gus will improve not just the team, but himself too

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
B.

+ Great home form - 41 points from a possible 69, +15 goal difference.
+ Premier League scalps in the form of Sunderland and Newcastle, and a competent display at home to Liverpool.
+ Passionate.
+ Some cracking signings (Vicente, Buckley)
+ 2 decent cup runs.
+ Giving the team a fighting spirit and an unwillingness to give in at times.

- Poor away form - 25 points from a possible 69, -15 goal difference.
- Shaky tactics, formations and unwillingness to change - the Amex is a fortress, but the same tactics don't work away. Only Coventry scored fewer away goals this season.
- Comments regarding the fans, Suarez, etc, and constantly mentioning his ambitions to go to a Premier League side. It's like being in a relationship but being reminded every day that if a celebrity came knocking, they'd be off in a flash.
- Losing to Palace and seemingly playing the rivalry lip service. Hopefully he know understands what it means to us.
- Substitution timing? Even when we were 3-0 down at half time to West Ham, he didn't make any changes at half time. I'm willing to trust him on this one, on another day he could've made a miraculous team talk and we might've salvaged a point.

Lots of positives, but plenty of room for improvement.

Flavor Flav

Get those trousers off!
Jul 5, 2008
West Sussex
Fantastic start to the season, great position to be in with 10 games to go then completely bottled it in spectacular fashion. Good season though. C+

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here