Poyet discussion on 5 Live now

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Not sure how Messi and Ronaldo will react to the news if Claridge is appointed. Could scupper those deals :(

Other than that, amazed he stuck up for us but seems to be developing a soft spot for us that's for sure

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Surprisingly good round up. I'd expected a lot of fawning over Gus but he got a bit of a going over. Claridge didn't hold back.

An interesting extra that has not been mentioned above... the point was made that the club is actually trying to apply employment law rigorously, which is something that the League Manager's Association has been requesting for some time.

Last edited:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Claridge nailed it..

Brighton are a bigger club than the teams Poyet is being linked to.
Tony has given Poyet everything he could have wished for and He should have been more respectful in his media dealings

GP Slagging off TB's budget, straight after losing the semi was not a good move.

Wow! Nice one SC. Good work fella.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Claridge = Top guy.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Surprisingly good round up. I'd expected a lot of fawning over Gus but he got a bit of a going over. Claridge didn't hold back.

An interesting extra that has not been mentioned above... the point was made that the club is actually trying to apply employment law rigorously, which is something that the League Manager's Association has been requesting for some time.
It's strangely odd how the language coming from all sides is very professional and 'real world'.
You never hear that in any other managerial dismissals.

I wonder how many managers would still have a job if the letter of the law was applied to their dismissals?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I listened to Radio 5 live when I couldn't make matches and we were featured. Claridge was definitely a fan of the Gus way of playing, so I find it interesting that he is backing the club rather than the manager.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I listened to Radio 5 live when I couldn't make matches and we were featured. Claridge was definitely a fan of the Gus way of playing, so I find it interesting that he is backing the club rather than the manager.
I have enjoyed Gus' time at the club and especially his way of playing. I am also on the club's side. There were mutterings in the press about his dissatisfaction with the the budget earlier in the season. When I got home from the final game, deflated about the performance, I watched his post-match interview. If I had been Chairman I would have wanted to sack him on the spot.

Now I am grateful that the club are doing this properly. Our club has a bright future thanks to Mr Bloom's wealth and generosity. But even brighter recognising that the club is bigger than any one employee. Sorry Gus but goodbye.

Last edited:

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Can someone put a link up for this. Ta

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I have enjoyed Gus' time at the club and especially his way of playing. I am also on the club"s Side. There were muttering in the press about his dissatisfaction withe the budget earlier in the season. When I got home from the final game, deflated about the performance, I watched his post-match interview. If I had been Chairman I woold have wanted to sack him on the spot.

Now I am grateful that the club are doing this properly. Our club has a bright future thanks to Mr Bloom's wealth and generosity. But even brighter recognising that the club is bigger than any one employee.Sorry Gus but goodbye.

Sums it up perfectly for me.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
slagging off Poyet = Top guy. How the world spins, eh, those Palace fans had it right all along :facepalm:

It's genuinely depressing, people enjoying someone who should 've become a BHA legend getting battered. Can't understand the mindset at all. It's all just sad, those revelling in it are genuinely a bit wrong in the head.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Claridge is usually pretty complimentary about us, it's only the hyper-sensitive mongs on here that get upset with the tiniest criticism who seem to hate him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's genuinely depressing, people enjoying someone who should 've become a BHA legend getting battered. Can't understand the mindset at all. It's all just sad, those revelling in it are genuinely a bit wrong in the head.
Yesterday I wrote words to the effect of 'I'm glad he's gone'.
6 weeks ago that was inconceivable, it just wouldn't have happened.
I knew all along at some point he'd be off, but I always thought he'd be back to a rousing stadium.

The post match interview was almost enough alone to make me anti Gus, but hey we were all feeling bad, he just chose a poor way to voice it.
Now I'm sure there's plenty of mistakes that have made by both sides in the handling of this but all the theatrics on TV, just iced the cake.

I can't wait to see how much he has learnt from his time here.
If the answer is nothing I will enjoy Leon Knight part deux.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Who is actually enjoying it?

I loved what Poyet brought to this club and am gutted that he seemed to think he deserved more than he was given by Bloom. I didn't like his pig headedness, quite a few of his media interviews and what seemed,to me, a long running agenda to get a better job, when he already had a fantastic one.

I am glad he's gone because there was no way back for him once the board had decided, for whatever reason, that they wanted him out. I certainly don't revel in it but I want us to move on..quickly.

I will remember the fantastic football he brought and the fact that he was perfect as a manager when we moved grounds. He put bums on seats, became a media darling and overall was very very good for this club. I have no doubt that the vast majority of fans will look back on him with affection in the future and have an interest in where he goes and how he does.

D

Deleted member 22389

I have enjoyed Gus' time at the club and especially his way of playing. I am also on the club's side. There were mutterings in the press about his dissatisfaction with the the budget earlier in the season. When I got home from the final game, deflated about the performance, I watched his post-match interview. If I had been Chairman I would have wanted to sack him on the spot.

Now I am grateful that the club are doing this properly. Our club has a bright future thanks to Mr Bloom's wealth and generosity. But even brighter recognising that the club is bigger than any one employee. Sorry Gus but goodbye.

Exactly. The manner is which he came across was certainly not what you would expect from a manager. Do you remember those comments after the 3-0 win over palace. Something along the lines of, "If I was going to leave as manager, that would be the match". Again in my opinion wrong things to say, I think this was around the same time as when the Reading position came up which left us all wondering again, is he going to be our manager. You don't need this instability.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports