Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

POYET: "Brighton are ready for the Premier League, and I’d love my old team to get there."

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I am sure he didn't deliberately set out to lose the Palace game. My take is he allowed himself to be distracted and therefore didn't give the game his full attention. But this is just as bad if you're a professional.

Bringing on Barnes was the width of the post away from a different result.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You actually think Vicente's game was all about putting the ball in the net himself?

Goals win games. Solly March ran past four players last night, not in the same class as Vicente, but the ball didn't end up in the net.
Barnes came within a whisker of winning that semi final that day. Only a finger tip save from Speroni and a crossbar denied him.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Goals win games. Solly March ran past four players last night, not in the same class as Vicente, but the ball didn't end up in the net.
Barnes came within a whisker of winning that semi final that day. Only a finger tip save from Speroni and a crossbar denied him.

But there are very few strikers that regularly create goals from nothing.

So you need players to set chances up for the forwards, so surely both are needed.

Think you are digging a bit of a hole for yourself here...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Didnt he leave Vicente sitting on the bench though? The one player that could have won the game on his own.

It's been pointed out before, but our record with Vicente was worse than our record without him, you can't really say with much confidence we would have won had he played when our previous results with him don't support that.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

How is a mazy run that doesn't end up in the net any different from a header/shot that doesn't end up in the net?

Do you not think Vicente on for the last half hour would have created more chances for someone to score than the one Barnes effort?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
As you'll know from Back to the Future, Barnes scoring would have created a completely different path in time.

It may have ended 2-1 still, but not with the exact same events occurring.

Almost as if it were the temporal junction point for the entire space-time continuum. On the other hand, it could just be an amazing coincidence.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
With all the comments about what was mentioned and what wasn't mentioned, somebody had to write the article, presumably, after talking to Gus. One would need to hear the interview before being able to judge along the lines some are doing here. Perhaps it was the writer who made it all about Gus.

Well if it was the writer he must be Rory Bremner or Mike Yarwood because reading those words I can almost here the Uruguayan accent.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
As you'll know from Back to the Future, Barnes scoring would have created a completely different path in time.

It may have ended 2-1 still, but not with the exact same events occurring.

You mean, we could be playing in the Prem right now with Pardew as our manager? :eek:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Didnt he leave Vicente sitting on the bench though? The one player that could have won the game on his own.

No, he left him out of the squad altogether. He wasn't on the bench. Big mistake.

However I am still of the view that Poyet's biggest error in preparation for the semi was picking Hammond instead of Lua Lua to start. This was fine for the away leg, but he should have gone for it. The previous Amex game had shown that Palace could not cope with Orlandi, Lopez, Buckley and Lua Lua as the threat came from everywhere and they weren't the best defensively. Holloway recognised this and didn't start Bolasie in the semi. Poyet should have had the confidence that his team could win an attacking game, but he was cautious, presumably because he wanted to contain Zaha. The St Patrick's Day game showed that Lua Lua had Zaha on the back foot, saw it as a personal battle and won it hands down. Poyet should have trusted him to do the same again.

I don't buy the argument that we lost because of a lack of leadership. Tony Bloom has made it clear that Poyet told him he wanted to leave before St Patrick's Day and our form after that game to the end of the season was the best in the league. There is no reason why this should have changed in the week before the second leg. I remember people on here expressing admiration for Poyet's performance at the player awards shortly before the game. Regardless that he had problems with the financial restrictions and lack of control that came with Barber's arrival, it was clear from his speech that he was still fully committed to that group of players and they to him. After the game, he threw his toys out of the pram and acted like an idiot and this marred his time with us. I can understand why some still can't forgive him and I can understand why some were frustrated by his over cautious approach, but let's be honest, at the times when his team clicked we all just sat there pinching ourselves wondering if we were really watching the Albion.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Well if it was the writer he must be Rory Bremner or Mike Yarwood because reading those words I can almost here the Uruguayan accent.

I'm not saying that Gus didn't say the things included in the article. I am saying he probably said other stuff that was not included. The tone of the article is at least influenced and at most set by the writer, who maybe had a hidden agenda.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Maybe Burke ate the last steak and Poyet had to make do with a selection from the cold buffet.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I've just read 8 pages, and I was about to ask, but what was the actual reason he was sacked? I think it was reported as gross misconduct at the time.

There were 8 different charges, which I have heard range from refusing to handle the retained list, to falling out with the club doctor.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
With regards to the Palace home leg, it was the interview that he gave straight after the game that annoyed.

He was asked if he would be with us the following season. He came out with something along the lines of hitting the ceiling, could not see us going any further etc. Once again making the situation about him.

Whilst with the structure in place all those things may have been true at the time, but having lost such an important game, he just needed to come out with the standard, 'disappointed, regroup, come back stronger' etc.

I spent a while typing out a reply almost indentical to this, then decided not to post it, as it was still too painful. Excellent post.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I was also told, Gusnever had any intention of fighting his dismissal, for the above reasons

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Am I alone in not having heard anything about an 8-point charge list for gross misconduct?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Am I alone in not having heard anything about an 8-point charge list for gross misconduct?

Apparently so. But one of them wasn't shitting on the palace dressing room floor. That was their bus driver by all accounts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here