Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potters tactics

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Ehm... what?

I give you that he never made tactical subs in the 35th minute as far as I can remember, but you'll most likely never going to experience someone who switched formations and players as much as he did.
He took Bissouma off at Halftime v West Ham - Replaced him with Maupay - We were 1-0 down- Yes not the 36 minute but it certainly worked as we ended up winning 3-1 with 3 second half goals 👍

@ROBS BROTHER

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Just enlighten me which first half substitutions you recall
See Swansman’s previous post.

You didn’t stipulate substitution, you said: “he saw that something wasn't working and he changed it. Something that he didn't do when he was here”.

Which is something he actually did all the time, changing formations and player position regularly and very early on. He’s always been lauded for it.

ROBS BROTHER

Jan 27, 2022
See Swansman’s previous post.

You didn’t stipulate substitution, you said: “he saw that something wasn't working and he changed it. Something that he didn't do when he was here”.

Which is something he actually did all the time, changing formations and player position regularly and very early on. He’s always been lauded for it.
Read my opening post

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
The point I was making is that he saw that something wasn't working and he changed it. Something that he didn't do when he was here
The way I see it is that GP was really good at not just seeing how something was not working but where. Zerbi demonstrated that today imo. You dont have to sub players to change the dynamics of play - just changing their position of play is often enough. Seems to me we have some very flexible players at BHA that Potter and I think Zerbi appreciated that when he scouted out Brighton.

EDIT sorry just repeating post #22 which I didnt read first before commenting.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
What a boring game that was, some Chelsea fans saying it was like watching a TT game at its worst. He really fancies himself now give him hell next week lads and lasses.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Nothing would give me greater pleasure
Having watched all of Potters Chelsea games and obviously all of RDZ games (although only last 25mins of todays game)
I can see we have changed under RDZ - we are better playing out from the back, we seen braver, drawing in the attacker and playing it to the fullback playing it back to CB or keeper then looking to play it centrally to the midfield. our one touch passing at times is sublime- didn’t see this a lot under Potter, it was organised chaos playing it from the back !!

Snowflake

Jan 11, 2018
He may not of had the resources he does at Chelsea. But he very much used to change shape or personnel as required At Brighton. Probably not so obvious. It didn’t always work but it’s not new.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What a boring game that was, some Chelsea fans saying it was like watching a TT game at its worst. He really fancies himself now give him hell next week lads and lasses.
A win for the Albion and a defeat for Chelsea would be fantastic. Perfect game to watch the shitfest unravel with Chelsea fans if they lose to #teamslikebrighton

I am not optimistic that we’ll get better than a draw though

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
A win for the Albion and a defeat for Chelsea would be fantastic. Perfect game to watch the shitfest unravel with Chelsea fans if they lose to #teamslikebrighton

I'd be happy with a draw tbh. Chelsea didn't look all that great vs ManUre from what I saw.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Which would be a very good result in itself.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Which would be a very good result in itself.
I’ve moved on from L’il Ole Brighton fan happy with a draw, I am now disappointed whenever we don’t win, moving towards entitled these days :lolol:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I’ve moved on from L’il Ole Brighton fan happy with a draw, I am now disappointed whenever we don’t win, moving towards entitled these days :lolol:
A lot of the time it’s not who you play, it’s when you play them, Forest a case in point. You might therefore be right in playing Chelsea at the right time, but we also need to stem a few defeats coming at us.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Hope his tactics allow for Cucurella next week. He's been shit

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

I’ve got this down as Rob’s first win, play them off the park lads bust ups on the touch line Potter sent to the stands whilst dodging a hail of bottle top lids 🙃

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The point I was making is that he saw that something wasn't working and he changed it. Something that he didn't do when he was here
Edit: my comment is redundant

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just enlighten me which first half substitutions you recall
Sorry we misunderstood. We didn't realise that you think the only way to change something is with a substitution. Your comments make sense now.

The rest of us were thinking about him going from back 3 to back 4 at the drop of a hat. No, I don't recall any tactical first half substitutions either. The last one I can recall (apart from Potter at Chelsea) was when we lost 0-4 at home to Stoke (I think) in the championship about 15 years ago, and Adams (I think) took someone off at 30 minutes.

But as others have sad, Potter changed things all the time and is famous for it. The substitution yesterday just seems to me like a slightly more flamboyant example.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
One of the most bizarre comments I’ve read on here for a while. If someone asked me what is Potter’s biggest strength as a manager I would say it’s the ability and willingness to change a game when something isn’t working. What the hell were you watching for the last two years!?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here