[Football] Potter

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
he slows us down, even if having a good game. he looks for safe passes only, waits, dithers, then square or back. can can play a good pass, but if teams close options he doesnt look long. as a pivot from defense to midfield, when he's off he makes our other players look bad too.

Ahh I get ya, like the pass against Wolves....

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I’m going to assume SU played their normal game / setup. That being so, it was tailor made for Duffy. He would have won those long balls up to their front 2 and not been bullied around.

We were poor but did SU create anything without a rather large helping hand from us, mainly Webster? Probably not.

Is Stephens so good he has to play when available? Not imo.

Is Troddard a left winger? No. He is class and he needs to see more of the ball. I’d like him in the no.10 role and if that means Gross doesn’t start then so be it.

But we’ve been so good so often this season if it doesn’t quite go to plan every now and then, well never mind we’ll go again. Just don’t make a habit of it please.

drummerboy10

Apr 18, 2012
The half time subs puzzled me today. Fair enough something needed to change in the second half but having Murray, Maupay and Connelly on the pitch seemed a little crowded. No-one quite knew their role (midfield included) which led to a lot of ineffective possession.

Also, Propper at right back! really?!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Don’t start with Trossard. He’s an impact player.

Funnily enough I posted a poll earlier in the season when we were using Trossard as an impact player as to whther he was a starter or impact sub, and it came out around 90% that he should be a starter and I was called an idiot.

He started brilliantly but has flattered to deceive recently. Feet under the table now? Or not recovered from two sets of injuries around the international break?

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Funnily enough I posted a poll earlier in the season when we were using Trossard as an impact player as to whther he was a starter or impact sub, and it came out around 90% that he should be a starter and I was called an idiot.

He started brilliantly but has flattered to deceive recently. Feet under the table now? Or not recovered from two sets of injuries around the international break?

Take knocky over him all day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Take knocky over him all day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In this game, so would I. It needed someone who would run at defenders, beat them, draw someone in and make space. We don't have anyone left like that.

However, Trossard has been magnificent in other games, particulalry at the start of the season pre-injury and Knocky was alternatively selfish, frustrating and useless at times last season and doesn't fit our overall style.

A player that combines the best of both would probably be 50 mill plus and playing for Man City or Barca.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Knew how sheffield were going to play but didnt know how to combat them.2 subs at HT says it all.
That's one opinion.
Let down by Webster and Srephens today.
Ok, that's an alternative opinion. Are two of you sharing a keyboard?

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
grappot.jpg

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
Got to look at recalling Duffy. Not just because of Webster's off day, but because Duffy's heading ability was sorely missed today.

Exactly this
Although we were well in control on Monday night
Dunk nor Webster won much in the air against Benteke.
Also it seems Duffy is really the only one who can defend a corner

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I like the way that he is very proactive and tries to change things but today his substitutions were IMHO wrong at halftime Webster was having a nightmare and cost us yet another goal so I would have taken him off and moved Montoya back to right back with Alzate at right midfield and I would also have taken Trossard or Gross off who were both non existent and moved Burn into the middle of a back four and brought on Bernardo, but then what do I know I am only a supporter. I would then have taken the other one, either Gross or Trossard off and brought on Connolly.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
SU had done their homework, they knew if they close Brighton down and stop their passing game then our game is screwed. Clearly things were made worse by several players having terrible games.

What we missed was anyone running with the ball which is the only tactic that you can deploy when your passing game is broken. We had no one doing that. Bissouma tried a bit but by then we were panicky and chasing the game.

a) I think we learnt that you cannot have Gross and Trossard on at same time
b) You can't stick Trossard on the wing and then not get the ball to him.
c) if you are going to play 3 strikers you must practise that and give people specific roles. Murray got in Connolly's way twice in very good positions.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
On the tactical side of things what GP has to look at is what we do when sides are smart against us. This has happened a couple of times and it does cause us problems. When we are at the start of a phase of possession, with say Dunk or Webster on the ball, our idea is to attract opposition players and find the spaces in between. What SU did really well today is they crowded the areas we wanted to play in, every time Dunk had the ball, Stephens would have two or even three men close enough to close him down quickly, making him not a good option for the pass. Then someone else would close Dunk forcing him to make another decision, which more often than not didn't come off and resulted in us eventually turning over possession. Time and time again, those spaces we wanted to play in were either blocked off or occupied by opposition players. This is where GP needs to think about working harder on our plan B in those situations, or finding a way to counter what the opposition are doing to stifle our game. So far doing this has worked to cause us problems.

But there was another side to our problems today, maybe it was related to the fact that we couldn't play our game, and we didn't have much of an effective plan B, but our heads were not in the game and we were either nervous or not as up for it as SU were. Could have just been one of those days, but the players have to take some responsibility for that.

We do very well when teams don't play smart against us, but when they do we have a problem, we need to work on more options because without our usual out balls today we looked lost and bereft of ideas.

Good post.

Necessarily, if Stephens and Mooy each had several players on them, there was space elsewhere. Potter and the players failed to adapt.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
SU had done their homework, they knew if they close Brighton down and stop their passing game then our game is screwed. Clearly things were made worse by several players having terrible games.

What we missed was anyone running with the ball which is the only tactic that you can deploy when your passing game is broken. We had no one doing that. Bissouma tried a bit but by then we were panicky and chasing the game.

a) I think we learnt that you cannot have Gross and Trossard on at same time
b) You can't stick Trossard on the wing and then not get the ball to him.
c) if you are going to play 3 strikers you must practise that and give people specific roles. Murray got in Connolly's way twice in very good positions.

Or balls over the top.

Elipsis

Sep 14, 2019
A bad day at the office for GP who was taught a tactical lesson by Wilder (what an unbelievable job he is doing). Still plenty of credit in the bank for the good things he's done to date this season but a bit of a reality check. A concern is whether we know how to get the ugly wins that are required to survive and thrive in this league (see Burnley and Newcastle today).

Sent from my 5039D_EEA using Tapatalk

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Is that Middle Earth in the background or the interior of BG’s frontal lobe cortex?

It's a suggestion for [MENTION=33916]Albion my Albion[/MENTION]'s enterprise to find a trendy corporate identity for our current manager.

Seems if Hughton is judged on this GraPott should be too. When does GraPott take some of the blame for our position in the table?

Edit: It's actually from World of Warcraft.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I’m going to assume SU played their normal game / setup. That being so, it was tailor made for Duffy. He would have won those long balls up to their front 2 and not been bullied around.

We were poor but did SU create anything without a rather large helping hand from us, mainly Webster? Probably not.

Is Troddard a left winger? No. He is class and he needs to see more of the ball. I’d like him in the no.10 role and if that means Gross doesn’t start then so be it.

But we’ve been so good so often this season if it doesn’t quite go to plan every now and then, well never mind we’ll go again. Just don’t make a habit of it please.

It’s TroSSard. Apart from that, bang on.

David Watts

Blue 'n' white blooded
Aug 23, 2009
Eastbourne

Nailed it re Tross and Duffy

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
I’m still struggling to see the benefit of signing Webster for 20M when 4 other competent CBs are at the club, with 2 on loan to Championship teams. Would rather have saved 20M, kept Duffy and Dunk and have Burn, Balogun and White as part of the squad. A full back would’ve been far more useful, as 1 injury has made Burn first choice LB.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports