Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
We probably have more fair weather fans than any other team in the Premier League. Incredible, well done :clap2:

I've been a Hughton fan this whole time. Even through the dismal awful 2nd half of last season. That's not fair weather fan at all!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Potter was let down by individual and collective pisspoor performances from too many players today. Bad day at the office, not going to vilify him for it.

Ryan, Webster and Stephens at least all had probably their poorest games this season, if three key players have stinkers you’re fooked against a team as organised as United were.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
I've been a Hughton fan this whole time. Even through the dismal awful 2nd half of last season. That's not fair weather fan at all!

Sorry, I didn’t realise that I’d singled you out. It’s an historical observation, actually. I remember the moans and groans that used to come from the West Stand, at the Goldstone, every time a pass went astray. Some things don’t change even after how far we’ve come and the performances we put in on Monday, and against Wolves and Arsenal.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
On the tactical side of things what GP has to look at is what we do when sides are smart against us. This has happened a couple of times and it does cause us problems. When we are at the start of a phase of possession, with say Dunk or Webster on the ball, our idea is to attract opposition players and find the spaces in between. What SU did really well today is they crowded the areas we wanted to play in, every time Dunk had the ball, Stephens would have two or even three men close enough to close him down quickly, making him not a good option for the pass. Then someone else would close Dunk forcing him to make another decision, which more often than not didn't come off and resulted in us eventually turning over possession. Time and time again, those spaces we wanted to play in were either blocked off or occupied by opposition players. This is where GP needs to think about working harder on our plan B in those situations, or finding a way to counter what the opposition are doing to stifle our game. So far doing this has worked to cause us problems.

But there was another side to our problems today, maybe it was related to the fact that we couldn't play our game, and we didn't have much of an effective plan B, but our heads were not in the game and we were either nervous or not as up for it as SU were. Could have just been one of those days, but the players have to take some responsibility for that.

We do very well when teams don't play smart against us, but when they do we have a problem, we need to work on more options because without our usual out balls today we looked lost and bereft of ideas.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
On the tactical side of things what GP has to look at is what we do when sides are smart against us. This has happened a couple of times and it does cause us problems. When we are at the start of a phase of possession, with say Dunk or Webster on the ball, our idea is to attract opposition players and find the spaces in between. What SU did really well today is they crowded the areas we wanted to play in, every time Dunk had the ball, Stephens would have two or even three men close enough to close him down quickly, making him not a good option for the pass. Then someone else would close Dunk forcing him to make another decision, which more often than not didn't come off and resulted in us eventually turning over possession. Time and time again, those spaces we wanted to play in were either blocked off or occupied by opposition players. This is where GP needs to think about working harder on our plan B in those situations, or finding a way to counter what the opposition are doing to stifle our game. So far doing this has worked to cause us problems.

But there was another side to our problems today, maybe it was related to the fact that we couldn't play our game, and we didn't have much of an effective plan B, but our heads were not in the game and we were either nervous or not as up for it as SU were. Could have just been one of those days, but the players have to take some responsibility for that.

We do very well when teams don't play smart against us, but when they do we have a problem, we need to work on more options because without our usual out balls today we looked lost and bereft of ideas.

All true but it was compounded by some shockingly bad performances (team Christmas Party last night maybe?). We haven't played that badly for a long time and it was just made worse because it was against a team who forced errors from us nearly as often as we made then unprovoked!

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Sorry, I didn’t realise that I’d singled you out. It’s an historical observation, actually. I remember the moans and groans that used to come from the West Stand, at the Goldstone, every time a pass went astray. Some things don’t change even after how far we’ve come and the performances we put in on Monday, and against Wolves and Arsenal.

I probably jumped the gun. I took it as my criticism of GraPott as being fair weather. I think of my allegiance to Hughton as being better than the average loyalist. Far far for a man who actually did his job. Keep the team from going down to the championship.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Sheffield United put us under pressure from the first minute and scarcely let up throughout the match. Poor passing and being one step behind in every department characterised our play today.
VAR decisions generated the biggest cheers of the afternoon as there were precious few serious assaults on their goal.
All in all the better side won..... I am sorry to say.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I was more bothered by his lack of subs at selhurst on Monday where I thought his inactivity may have cost us 2 points.

This time, the players let him down & he let them know by making early changes. Unfortunately grew didn't have enough subs as he could have removed another 3 (who were lucky to be given 90 mins).

The 1st half against Leicester was not dissimilar

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I was more bothered by his lack of subs at selhurst on Monday where I thought his inactivity may have cost us 2 points.

This time, the players let him down & he let them know by making early changes. Unfortunately grew didn't have enough subs as he could have removed another 3 (who were lucky to be given 90 mins).

The 1st half against Leicester was not dissimilar

Why doesn't GraPott get some blame for starting the players that he did?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

SU did what SU do.
That seemed to come as a nasty shock when it was fairly predictable.
We may have got beat anyway, but it was the wrong starting eleven.
that’s on potter, I’m afraid.
Interesting analysis btw, dingodan.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Not sure why Stephens is getting so much stick? He was poor today but there was 5/6 players worse than him. Oh yer hes the scapegoat most weeks isnt he.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London

Excellent analysis

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Sorry Chris-it was practically the whole season not just the second half.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
It was a bad day at the office for us, we did not show up.
However, I'm not going to blame GP.
He has been a revelation for us, we all have off days.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Not sure why Stephens is getting so much stick? He was poor today but there was 5/6 players worse than him. Oh yer hes the scapegoat most weeks isnt he.

he slows us down, even if having a good game. he looks for safe passes only, waits, dithers, then square or back. can can play a good pass, but if teams close options he doesnt look long. as a pivot from defense to midfield, when he's off he makes our other players look bad too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here