Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter- what’s he up to?

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Here's my take on this. Potter is bright, relatively young and a good football coach. He knew this and I suspect he placed himself somewhere pretty near the top of the coaching ability pile. Regardless of what happened at Chelsea (although obviously not good) DZ replaced him at the Albion and is quite clearly one or two levels better than Potter as a coach. The football has been transformed to the extent that even fans with no tactical awareness can see the difference. G Pott may be reflecting on what DZ is doing and what he needs to improve on in order to get near to DZ in coaching ability.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
He’s not going to get another job at a top 6 club. Not for a long while anyway. Any opportunity he is going to get won’t come close to Brighton. So anything he can get is going to be a major step down from his last two positions. It’s going to be difficult to accept that the roles that are available for him.

Last edited:

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
He’s not going to get another job at a top 6 club. Not for a long while anyway. Any opportunity he is going to get won’t come close to Brighton. So anything he can get is going to be a major step down from his last two positions. It’s going to be difficult to accept that he roles that are available for him.
Hmmm. Not sure Chelsea is a blight on anyone’s record. Potter did not do his diligence on Chelsea, believed his own hype and walked into a complete shitshow of Boehly’s making. His learnings from RDZ @ Brighton is that he WAS overhyped and he needs to work on (a) being a better coach, (b) produce possession football with more successful attacking outcomes and (c) despite mentions of his oft-quoted masters in emotional intelligence, he needs to rethink how to instil belief and positive mentality into elite players.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Bouncing some of those posts in the middle of his reign would certainly be interesting. “It’s a long term project”. “We’re Brighton, expecting anything more than 16th is entitled”. “If not Potter then who?”. “You can’t coach goals / finishing”. “All we need is a £50 million striker”.

Luckily, I’m not Swedish.

:moo:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Bouncing some of those posts in the middle of his reign would certainly be interesting. “It’s a long term project”. “We’re Brighton, expecting anything more than 16th is entitled”. “If not Potter then who?”. “You can’t coach goals / finishing”. “All we need is a £50 million striker”.

Luckily, I’m not Swedish.

:moo:
They were strange times NSC rapidly turned into the cult of Potter any outsiders were seen as the devil, entitled and anti everything BHA.
I couldn’t stop laughing when the fella people had put so much defending into pissed off at the first real offer that came his way.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
he'll be taking the positives

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It's not Potter I'm worried about, it's the rest of his entourage that have done f**k all for 12 months. I hope they really like golf.
Apart from Reid, all still working at Chelsea I think.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Did they pay him off with £10m lump sum, or are they continuing to pay his monthly salary until the end of his contract or, if earlier, until he gets another job? Either way I suppose he has no great incentive to get back into work.
I wonder if he’ll be offered a TV pundit job for the BHA v Chelsea matches.
I’m sure I read it was reported that his contract had a clause in it restricting his payout if his contract was terminated. In other words Chelsea would not pay his full salary if he was only in the job a few months which he was . I’m guessing he probably would have got a percentage which is why a max of 2 years salary is i suspect the most he would have been paid .

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Unlike De Zerbi whose family has grown up and is now a football fanatic ,Potter very much is a family man and this will come first in any decision. Pity for him Chelsea job went wrong. Was perfect in that did not have to move house or schools. Strange world football, A few months in a job and you can live in comfort for rest of your life. Would think he would now be reluctant to uproot his family up north to work for a dodgy owner who could sack him after a few defeats.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
In counselling I shouldn’t wonder. His confidence took one hell of a beating. I know he sold out but it’s the nature of the job. There are few in his position who would have turned it down. We look at it all with Albion coloured glasses on - not many in professional football view it the same. Whilst he completely pissed me off at the time, alls well that ends well. We have RDZ and a table topping football team. Potter probably has some regrets, a pile of money and a lot of angst.
I wouldn’t be surprised if he goes abroad again - get out of the PL rat race where his goose has been cooked.
I just hope he and his family are OK and can get on with their lives without some dipstick making their lives miserable.
Most sensible post in the thread. A lot of short memories on this board where Potter is concerned. He is a highly intelligent man. He will be waiting until he is ready to take on a new challenge and will wait for the right time and the right job. Pretty sure wherever he goes next he will be a success.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here