[Football] Potter to Palace

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Said it in another thread but Southampton is surely the one. They should be doing they can to get him in, whether that is now or at the end of the season for a go at the championship

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
CH should be a club legend - was treated shabbily
Yet Potter was waved off into oblivion....
I was in WSL close to home dug out the day of CH last game re Man City and whilst Harty comments are new news to me - a lot of the body language from some senior folk on pitch meant that the next days news was not a great surprise when I read it

CH was / is a very proud man and was always very obvious how much being our gaffer meant to him, would love to see him back at Amex for whatever reason, but suspects it still hurts from his end re how it ended, hence never been back since

With GP he never gave off the same vibe at all, and added to this re history lesson comments etc, that before you add in home defeats to Burnley and Shef Utd and he was so upset sat slumped in his seat - RDZ would have exploded ....
Has he really not been back? I thought he'd been a pundit doing TV work on at least something here since he left?

I'm not sure he was treated shabbily. He was allowed to finish the season, he enjoyed the relative success of keeping the side up. He wanted to carry on, Tony had other ideas. There was no easy way of doing it. We don't know what he was offered 'upstairs' etc. but he obviously wanted to continue managing.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
A multimillion pound bank balance doesn’t give you a sense of purpose in life, and GP is someone who needs that imho. Given the choice of living off the dosh and never working again or giving it all back for a long and successful managerial career going forward, I imagine GP would choose the latter.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
45% of £13M is £7M? Blimey - maths has changed since my A levels!
Well I wasn't trying to do exact income tax based maths on numbers based on vague rumours - I simply halve whatever probably BS number someone quotes and round down to get a worse case scenario for if tax and national insurance, etc. was being applied. If you want to get all precise there are a number of things to consider; we don't for instance know if he still had payments outstanding for a cycle to work scheme, nor if he had any untaken holiday days, owed money to the tea kitty, etc. Anyway I don't actually think million pound severance payments go straight through as taxable income - far more likely to be a few tax avoidance twists involved but you'll need to ask the resident accountants on that score.

I was more observing that financially he is now set for life and so doesn't need to worry about where his next pay-check is coming from, something I imagine was still a concern as recently as when he was at Swansea or even during the dry spells with us. Remember he didn't exactly make many millions in his playing career unlike say Gerrard, Viera or Lampard (when management is more of a stressful hobby than a job unless they were very silly with their money). Basically he can afford to base his decisions on more than simply wages - something few of us have the luxury of doing in life.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well I wasn't trying to do exact income tax based maths on numbers based on vague rumours - I simply halve whatever probably BS number someone quotes and round down to get a worse case scenario for if tax and national insurance, etc. was being applied. If you want to get all precise there are a number of things to consider; we don't for instance know if he still had payments outstanding for a cycle to work scheme, nor if he had any untaken holiday days, owed money to the tea kitty, etc. Anyway I don't actually think million pound severance payments go straight through as taxable income - far more likely to be a few tax avoidance twists involved but you'll need to ask the resident accountants on that score.

I was more observing that financially he is now set for life and so doesn't need to worry about where his next pay-check is coming from, something I imagine was still a concern as recently as when he was at Swansea or even during the dry spells with us. Remember he didn't exactly make many millions in his playing career unlike say Gerrard, Viera or Lampard (when management is more of a stressful hobby than a job unless they were very silly with their money). Basically he can afford to base his decisions on more than simply wages - something few of us have the luxury of doing in life.
Not commenting on any of that - just on the anomaly of more than half the rumoured income going in tax when the top rate is 'only' 45% - i.e. less than half. Very basic arithmetic, that's all.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I have no idea what you're on about or what relevance CH's departure had to do with the fact that some Brighton fans hate (and yes, it IS a strong word but, in some cases, accurate) Graham Potter and will want him to fail wherever he lands up. I don't know what you're apologising to me for, I couldn't give a shite!
Chill out baby, I'm apologising to you old love because I'm old and stuck in my ways which can sometimes come across as a jaundiced view, but age has taught me the very fact you say you don't give a shite is because you do. :thumbsup:

Happy Easter, he is risen.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
6CE039CA-DC8D-4A63-86D3-902172B7F50A.png

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
Not commenting on any of that - just on the anomaly of more than half the rumoured income going in tax when the top rate is 'only' 45% - i.e. less than half. Very basic arithmetic, that's all.

Would he be exempt from National Insurance then?

kojak

Jan 17, 2022
he needs a project club
he was a fool to leave Brighton really
the premier league is too cut throat
he'll never work for a better chairman than Mr Bloom
maybe a so called sleeping giant in the championship

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Wouldn’t surprise me if he ended up abroad in Scandinavia somewhere.

his brand is somewhat tainted by the shitshow at chelski

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
My money is on him being the next West Ham manager. Think he’s a perfect fit there and will introduce a playing style their fans are craving.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
And let's not forget Potter's agent will take his cut as well... Maybe even on the before tax amount.

Potter will be penniless at this rate. Lol.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports